Hop To
Page 11 of 12 1 2 9 10 11 12
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by MIKEWERNER
[Linked Image]

LOL, more like you're a graduate of the Barney Fife guide school. Not just anyone can be a "registered Iowa deer guide." Some of those spreads are literally hundreds of acres,and you have to be able to find the blinds in the dark using only the headlights of the 4-wheeler.

And of course if you "make the grade" you're an expert on western elk hunting too. Who knew?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes, we did operate within a couple hundred yards of some trophy elk. Then, Timberghost fortunately moved them. Perhaps Jorge or hatari shot one at the other location.

We've dealt with some real experts over the years. I do see similar personalities in many posts here on the forum.

The January rifle doe-hunts are currently discontinued. Pretty sure we weren't the only complainers to the State concerning early-shedders getting shot in January.

But, you can use some straight-walled cartridges now, passed this year. Can use them during the shotgun seasons even.

Originally Posted by Alamosa
Originally Posted by smokepole
Elk outfitter?

Iowa Elk outfitter.
In certain locations Iowa even permits hunting with rifles.

So, doing something or other within a couple hundred yards of a high fence hunt makes you an elk outfitter. OK.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Spoken like a true hunting expert.

LOL, more like you're a graduate of the Barney Fife guide school. Not just anyone can be a "registered Iowa deer guide." Some of those spreads are literally hundreds of acres,and you have to be able to find the blinds in the dark using only the headlights of the 4-wheeler.

And of course if you "make the grade" you're an expert on western elk hunting too. Who knew?

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

Note to self: Never ask an old Fogey how he is doing today.
Revised note to self: Keep it short when someone asks how I am doing.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
If I mention there is another elk farm out in Beaverdale, would you 'knight' me as a master elk guide? The sword has to tap on both shoulders. Flip the sword blade too.

It has to be done by an expert.

Yes, we did operate within a couple hundred yards of some trophy elk. Then, Timberghost fortunately moved them. Perhaps Jorge or hatari shot one at the other location.

We've dealt with some real experts over the years. I do see similar personalities in many posts here on the forum.

The January rifle doe-hunts are currently discontinued. Pretty sure we weren't the only complainers to the State concerning early-shedders getting shot in January.

But, you can use some straight-walled cartridges now, passed this year. Can use them during the shotgun seasons even.

Elk outfitter?

Iowa Elk outfitter.
In certain locations Iowa even permits hunting with rifles.

So, doing something or other within a couple hundred yards of a high fence hunt makes you an elk outfitter. OK.

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Evidently allowing Iowa hunters to use rifles may jeopardize the practice of party hunting (filling someone else's tag).

http://www.iowasportsman.com/forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=686047

Nevertheless, even in a state where rifle hunting is extremely limited experts offer the mountain states hunters free advice.

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I thought we were offering opinions. Only experts can offer declarations and advice.

Evidently allowing Iowa hunters to use rifles may jeopardize the practice of party hunting (filling someone else's tag).

Nevertheless, even in a state where rifle hunting is extremely limited experts offer the mountain states hunters free advice.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I thought we were offering opinions.

Opinions are like Iowa deer guides.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mathman

The problem with Mike's statement and others is Berger VLDs don't act the same as conventional frangible cup and core bullets. They may well not act like some want a bullet to act, but that's a different question.

Agreed. Berger claims they work a certain way and that isn't the way I want my bullets to work. So I don't use them. Couldn't care less what people not in my hunting party use. Whatever lifts their skirt.is OK by me.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
[Linked Image]

I thought we were offering opinions.

Opinions are like Iowa deer guides.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
That's right Mikey, not much gets by me.

Especially a bullsh**er. Of course, that's not to say I'm at the same elite level as a "registered Iowa Guide."

Is it true that some of the places you guide are literally hundreds of acres, with multiple blinds? That must push you to your limits.

IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I know, you're 20X the hunting authority because of your 20,000 post count.

Great job. Expert status.

[Linked Image]

That's right Mikey, not much gets by me.

Especially a bullsh**er. Of course, that's not to say I'm at the same elite level as a "registered Iowa Guide."

Is it true that some of the places you guide are literally hundreds of acres, with multiple blinds? That must push you to your limits.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

LOL, nice try but go back and read the thread mikey. You're the one giving your expert opinion, not me.

The difference between you and me is, I don't run my yap and give opinions on stuff I've never done. Try it some time.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Huh?
[Linked Image]

LOL, nice try but go back and read the thread mikey. You're the one giving your expert opinion, not me.

The difference between you and me is, I don't run my yap and give opinions on stuff I've never done. Try it some time.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
What you mean huh?

Are you that dense?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

But he did stay at a Holiday Inn Express...

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I bet this is doing wonders for his outfitting business.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Good heavens.....can you at least hold off on the ankle biting til we sign off?

Shadow expert.

Originally Posted by JGRaider
I bet this is doing wonders for his outfitting business.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Key word.....WAS.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by scenarshooter

But he did stay at a Holiday Inn Express...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by chamois
This has been explained over and over again but sometimes you simply can´t drive a donkey to the water regardless how thirsty he is.

The killing mechanism of the VLD is totally different to other bullets; It will drill the first 2-3 inches of tissue (any tissue, including bone) without any expansion and will then blow up causing massive destruction. If the animal you're shooting is big enough this massive destructions will happen inside the animal and if it is not big enough you will have a horrible exit hole.

I have used them extensively on cull hunts in South Africa and Namibia and know they are efficient killers and this is something unargueable. The proof being in the pudding.

Shooting so many animals, from Springbucks to Zebras with them, I have eventually had one or two do a funny thing inside, though always killing the animal.

If you think you need an exit hole to kill an animal you should use large caliber cartridges loaded with solids.

Or, if you think how well a bullet kills is dependent on the looks of a recovered bullet (VLDs will normally look horrible!) then you should only use low velocity loads with monolithics, partitioned, bonded, etc. bullets.

But, but, but....chamois......................that African game is not the same as our ceramic armored kevlar skinned elk ...........................how dare you compare those facts (dead animals) to our internet hunter (hunt and peck) experience......... wink....... laugh laugh

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mike is apparently an expert at uploading Barney Fife photos and memes. That much we can give him.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Page 11 of 12 1 2 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
718 members (117LBS, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 76 invisible), 2,689 guests, and 1,314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,683
Posts18,399,735
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.