Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
First let me say my hunting rifle does not shoot any of the high velocity ammo accurately, so that eliminates me from the market. But what I'm referring to is admiration for CCI Mini Mags. It's sold in 2 variations... 40 gr RN at 1235 ft/sec and 36 gr HP at 1260 ft/sec. Both are copper coated. I understand that in the past it has been one of the more readily available rimfire ammo. Now, at least where I live, Aquila is the most readily available.

Federal makes 38 gr HP copper coated rimfire ammo that goes 1260 ft/sec. and a copper coated 40 gr RN at 1240 ft/sec. In my nylon 66 and pistols it is more reliable than the mini mags. I'm not going to say it never misfires or misfeeds, but almost never. The mini mags are a pain to shoot. Besides, heavier bullet at the same velocity means more energy.

I dont have a dog in this fight one way or the other.... just wondering why everyone likes mini mags?

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
BP-B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Back in the day (late '60s and early '70s, anyway) MiniMags were probably the most reliable ammo you could get, and it shot pretty well in most typical hunting .22s, like the Marlin 60 and 10/22s. The bullets were tight in the cases, unlike the cheaper ammo from Remington and Winchester, causing a mulititude of problems feeding, etc.
From my point of view, the stuff made that old Marlin of mine sing, and killed stuff well.

To be honest, it's not the most accurate stuff in my current rifles (all boltguns), but it's still awfully good, and reliable, in that old Marlin of mine, and a whole passel of 10/22s and 77/22s I've owned. It's plenty "accurate enough" and reliability is still not really questionable even now. Those plastic sliding-lid boxes are nice, too, but everyone's using those nowadays.

We hide-bound old guys tend to like what worked for us back then, and if it's still working well enough, are slow to change much. I am also very, VERY pleased with the Aguila CPHV stuff, but if I'm going to go after a limit of Missouri squirrels, I'll probably be carrying MiniMag HPs, because they shoot pretty well, too. I like CCI pretty well, Federals are okay, and I won't buy Winchester or Remington, period, too many loose bullets. Aguila is my current favorite for plinking or just plain messing around, but for tree rats, gimme those MiniMags.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They aren't match quality by any means but are fairly accurate in my rifles and very reliable. It's a great choice for small game.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Acceptably accurate in everything I've tried them in, dead reliable, and good killers. Available often enough to keep on hand.

Not my first choice for accuracy in my current pet, but I try to keep 1000 or so on hand for myself and/or my sons.

Good choice in pistols too. Velocitors turn up a bit more speed, but cost twice as much. Stingers are my go-to in my carry gun, an 8-shot M63, but reamin scarce and of course, pricey.

Once I burn up the cheap Winny and Fed bulk I bought in 2003, I might just pick up a case of MM holler points for "everything else".

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
accurate and go bang every time not like the Rem and Win ammo today

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Seen more than one semi-auto that would have problems running consistently reliable unless CCI mini mags were used.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 700LH
Seen more than one semi-auto that would have problems running consistently reliable unless CCI mini mags were used.

I'm just the opposite... My auto rifle and pistol misfire and jam all the time with MM. Put in the Federal and the problem goes away.

The pistol is the worse.. 2 in 10 misfire and 4 in 10 jam... put in the Fed and no misfires or jams. I shot just over a 100 rds Friday without a jam or misfire. I knew not to even try the MM, although I got some left, from times past.

Just different guns, I guess.

FWIW, the MM's shoot just fine in the revolvers, no jams no misfires. I cant say much for accuracy, because I'm not at all accurate with a pistol. Lock me in a barn and I couldn't hit a side!

Last edited by Oldman03; 07/16/17.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
bcp Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Oldman03

Just different guns, I guess.

I had a Marlin 39A that wouldn't extract Federal cases (in the 1950's-1960's). The front of the rim was a little rounder than others, causing the extractor to slip over.

Bruce

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I recently tried several kinds of ammo in a 10/22, and found that the MM stuff held groups about twice the size of most other varieties. Only AE 38cphp was worse. The best was federal Automatch, followed closely by the bulk winchesters. I didn't try any high dollar stuff. Fine by me. I've gone away from using hollow points on game. Lead solids do plenty of damage to smaller critters and give better penetration if something bigger or thicker shows up.

Hell...Reloading/Shooting are still my favorite things to do,besides play in the box the kids came in.................
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
What I like about mini mags is they have a good combination of hitting power, accuracy, and the ability to shoot reasonably well from a variety of rifles.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Reckon a guy can use what he wants to.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As for me, I have rifles that shoot this or that better. The mini mag HP though shoots pretty well in just about everything and superbly so in most of my favorite .22s.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
What I like about mini mags is they have a good combination of hitting power, accuracy, and the ability to shoot reasonably well from a variety of rifles.

Ditto

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like the plastic boxes. They don't crush and fall apart in yer back pocket like cardboard do......

Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
They were always a bit pricey when I shot them. So I always said screw it and ponied up for Stingers. Those are bad ass. I guess I should try the MM again now that most decent 22 is pricey. I do agree that Aguila is very good. Got a brick I'm bringing my Zimbabwe buddy when I go over there. Arms embargo in place on Zim from the EU. A box of crap 22 is $50 there!!! A buck a thunderbolt!!!

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Not everyone likes them. I don't, but then I don't have much time for any HV .22 ammo. I target shoot mainly, with a little plinking thrown in and I go for accuracy over speed. Even though I'm an avid squirrel hunter and shoot more than my share of them, I even prefer standard velocity target ammo for them also- again choosing accuracy over velocity. (And over the course of 50 years at that game I honestly can't remember ever losing a squirrel because I didn't hit it with a HV bullet.) I don't buy into the nonsense of shooting deer with magnum cartridges either.

In my experience Stingers always, without fail, turned in lousy accuracy. (To me lousy accuracy is an inch or worse at 50 yards- and Stingers always were that bad and worse, usually a lot worse. Useable accuracy equals 1/2-3/4"/50 yards. Expected accuracy is 1/4-1/2".)

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I murder a lot of schit with rimfires every year. I'm talking thousands, not hundreds and the Mini Mag is ALWAYS accurate enough for squirrel sized game out to 75yds. And I've yet to see it not feed or cause problems in any 22LR. Bolts, autos, you name it.

It's the gold standard as far as I'm concerned. It may not group best in every firearm but it groups well enough to get things done.

If I had a rimfire that had issues with MM's, I'd tear that rimfire apart and find the problem.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Not everyone likes them. I don't, but then I don't have much time for any HV .22 ammo. I target shoot mainly, with a little plinking thrown in and I go for accuracy over speed. Even though I'm an avid squirrel hunter and shoot more than my share of them, I even prefer standard velocity target ammo for them also- again choosing accuracy over velocity. (And over the course of 50 years at that game I honestly can't remember ever losing a squirrel because I didn't hit it with a HV bullet.) I don't buy into the nonsense of shooting deer with magnum cartridges either.

In my experience Stingers always, without fail, turned in lousy accuracy. (To me lousy accuracy is an inch or worse at 50 yards- and Stingers always were that bad and worse, usually a lot worse. Useable accuracy equals 1/2-3/4"/50 yards. Expected accuracy is 1/4-1/2".)

1/4" groups are fun but any 22LR consistently putting five shots into 1" @ 50yds, is going to be a bad mamma jamma on the killing fields.

Dave

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
a skwirl patch is always way more fun than poking holes in paper.....

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by huntsman22
a skwirl patch is always way more fun than poking holes in paper.....

And damn good for sorting out who can and can't shoot... grin.

Dave

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
171 members (257 mag, 2UP, 10Glocks, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 14 invisible), 1,470 guests, and 832 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,908
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.