Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#12150945 07/17/17
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I recently bought a St Croix Imperial 7.5 ft, 4 wt, 4pc rod to use on our streams in the Smokys. Alot of native fish up there and nothing over 12 inches. I'm looking for a reel but don't see the need to spend a bunch of money on a line holder. I'm looking at $100 or less fly reels.

What say you guys on reels for this setup?

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
GB2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Ebay Pflueger 1494

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Old or new version of the Medalist?

Last edited by bwinters; 07/17/17.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
the medalist is a good eel. I have 3 of them but I think it would too heavy for your rod

I would go for something like thisnt need a great drag. I have one of this as a back up for my 3 wt and not a bad option.

https://www.amazon.com/Piscifun-Fis...mp;sr=1-2&keywords=fly+reel+4+weight

When it come to steel head. salmon and large trout and salt water wont skimp on reel purchase

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
if you want to spend a bit more this is a great deal

https://www.backcountry.com/wright-...Rmx5IFJlZWxzOjE6MTI6YmNzQ2F0MTIxMDAwMDk=

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I'll have a look at the Wright/McGill - we are on the same page. Ive also been looking at the Okuma SLV 45, Lamson Liquid 1.5, Redington Surge.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
After reviewing all the 'cheaper' reels I was looking at, bought the Wright McGill Dragonfly from Amazon for $52. Even had a $50 Amazon gift card cool

The Dragon fly is machined 6061 aluminum and graphite disc drag. I couldn't tell if the drag is sealed it had but none of the other reels I was looking were except the Lamson Liquid. Online reviews were positive so we'll see how much drag inertia it has - might use on a local stream with bigger trout.

Thanks for the heads up!

Last edited by bwinters; 07/17/17.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
You just need a ceramic disc reel.... SA makes a good one https://www.amazon.com/Scientific-Anglers-Concept-Reel-Black/dp/B01F3YJDXW

and the orvis battenkill 3,4,5 weight disc reel has great balance. Get an extra spool to easily change out lines.

Holding onto anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other the person to die ......

"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me."

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would not count out anything from Cabelas. I have had a Cabelas reel on my St.Croix for 8 years and I still fish it religiously. I forget which model and the writing on it wore off years ago.

"Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, and more money." -Tom T Hall

Molon Labe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use a Martin S3G on my 7' 4 wt rod. It is very lightweight and it balances well on the rod. I have never needed a disc drag for trout fishing. The click and pawl works fine.

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
As a lifelong fly fisherman and former Orvis store owner, I'm picky about fly reels, even though on a 4 wt, it's most there to store your line. Last yr when I went looking for one to match a ross pack rod, in 4 wt, I ran across the ubiquitous chinese cheapos. I figured what the heck and bought a couple. And they aren't bad. The piscifun "Blaze" at @<50 bucks on Amazon is as good as some 200$ reels I've seen.. I just replaced a Hardy LRH with one. Unless you're a brand snob, I would check them out.

Last edited by brayhaven; 07/22/17.

Greg
"An abundance of information can exacerbate ignorance if the information is of poor quality" Tom Robbins
http://classicsportingguns.com/
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by brayhaven
As a lifelong fly fisherman and former Orvis store owner, I'm picky about fly reels, even though on a 4 wt, it's most there to store your line. Last yr when I went looking for one to match a ross pack rod, in 4 wt, I ran across the ubiquitous chinese cheapos. I figured what the heck and bought a couple. And they aren't bad. The piscifun "Blaze" at @<50 bucks on Amazon is as good as some 200$ reels I've seen.. I just replaced a Hardy LRH with one. Unless you're a brand snob, I would check them out.

I'm curious about replacing a Hardy with a Piscifun? Lighter? Smoother? Better function? Don't have to worry about something happening to the pricier Hardy?
For spinning reels I have always preferred the Mitchells... the 308s have been a favorite of mine since the late '60s but this spring I bought a few Pflueger President spinning reels and they are so much smoother and the drags are much better so they have become my go-to jigging reels. Next I need to buy one of the largest size to try on a surf-rod for catfish. May retire my Mitchells all together. Switching to chinese made reels... who would have thought?

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by teamprairiedog

I'm curious about replacing a Hardy with a Piscifun? Lighter? Smoother? Better function? Don't have to worry about something happening to the pricier Hardy?
For spinning reels I have always preferred the Mitchells... the 308s have been a favorite of mine since the late '60s but this spring I bought a few Pflueger President spinning reels and they are so much smoother and the drags are much better so they have become my go-to jigging reels. Next I need to buy one of the largest size to try on a surf-rod for catfish. May retire my Mitchells all together. Switching to chinese made reels... who would have thought?

Several reasons. The Hardy on my 7/8 wt Orvis 4 piece "all rounder" had no drag, and I use the rig (as the name implies) for everything on trips. A couple big salmon in AK were too much for that rig, with no way to slow em down (& save my fingers). Also, believe it or not, the piscifun is at least as smooth or smoother and has a better line holding capacity for backing. That Hardy was on the rod for 25 years and I had a lot of fun from 8" brookies to Redfish in the gulf flats with it, but I wanted a little more power. Plus I can buy several of those Piscifun reels for what one heavily used old Hardy brings.. Not all the Chinese reels are acceptable, so read the critical reviews. Generally stay away from the 20 dollar ones on ebay, buy on amazon, or from someone with great returns. Get one with a sealed drag & machined spool. Another reel that impressed me, though not a "pretty" is the Okuma SLV.. I put one on my 9x9 for Sea trout & Redfish. Still waiting to jump a Tarpon on it to see what it really has though smile

Greg
"An abundance of information can exacerbate ignorance if the information is of poor quality" Tom Robbins
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

Several reasons. The Hardy on my 7/8 wt Orvis 4 piece "all rounder" had no drag, and I use the rig (as the name implies) for everything on trips. A couple big salmon in AK were too much for that rig, with no way to slow em down (& save my fingers). Also, believe it or not, the piscifun is at least as smooth or smoother and has a better line holding capacity for backing. That Hardy was on the rod for 25 years and I had a lot of fun from 8" brookies to Redfish in the gulf flats with it, but I wanted a little more power. Plus I can buy several of those Piscifun reels for what one heavily used old Hardy brings.. Not all the Chinese reels are acceptable, so read the critical reviews. Generally stay away from the 20 dollar ones on ebay, buy on amazon, or from someone with great returns. Get one with a sealed drag & machined spool. Another reel that impressed me, though not a "pretty" is the Okuma SLV.. I put one on my 9x9 for Sea trout & Redfish. Still waiting to jump a Tarpon on it to see what it really has though smile

Smoother, better function for less money, what's not to like?
Now if only the chinese will start making their versions of Anschutz 54 action rifles and Beretta o/u shotguns and S&W revolvers in the same manner.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Member
Campfire Member

Smoother, better function for less money, what's not to like?
Now if only the chinese will start making their versions of Anschutz 54 action rifles and Beretta o/u shotguns and S&W revolvers in the same manner.

They certainly have the capability, but don't seem interested in making guns. Though their optics have steadily improved over recent years to the point of being pretty good.
And I couldn't agree more on the annie 54 being the finest rimfire action ever made. Especially the early ones. May even be one or 2 on my website for sale 😊
Maybe the Chinese govt doesn't want the peasants to gave their hands on a lot of firearms. They had a problem with that a while back.

Greg
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Any of you have any experience with the Piscifun rods? They have a little 8' 3wt that looks like it would be fun.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
My favorite light, somewhat inexpensive (it's all relative, and after buying a Sage reel ... relative changes) fly reel is from White River Fly Shop, a store brand of Bass Pro Shops.

Click here!

I bought one a couple years ago because the 1492 medalist was just too heavy for the 5 foot 2 weight Cabela's rod I had it on and it was throwing the balance off badly. I got this, put the line on it, went fishing once, and went right back and ordered a second one just in case they might discontinue them someday. I really like it. The only negative I see is, like the Sage "Click" reels, there's a limit to how light you can set the drag. I like to tie on 1 pound test leader sometimes. I haven't broken a fly off because I couldnt' get the drag light enough but think I've scared the crap out of it a time or two.

Anyways ... IMHO, nifty little reels. Might be too small for you, but worth a look.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
+1 for the White River reel especially if on sale for half price. Bought one about a year ago on sale did not regret it.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
663 members (1lessdog, 2500HD, 257 mag, 17CalFan, 22magnut, 10gaugemag, 73 invisible), 2,734 guests, and 1,291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,647
Posts18,399,078
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.