Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
K
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
K
Good evening,

I have an upcoming hunt that will involve backpacking-in for no more than 2-3 days at a time. Some (possibly a lot) of my camping will take place next to the truck.

I am looking at MH packets, as I had a great experience with these back on my 2013 hunt in AK. However, the 10# cans look much more cost effective and there is no sense in buying these packets if I have the can handy (insert needing the can after MH joke) for daily usage or access them every couple of days.

What experience do you have with the MH cans for a situation like mine? How do you prep it for consumption? Would a big ziplock bag work just like the packet, especially for those 2-3 day pack-ins? I would assume just using Tupperware at the truck would be easy.

Let me know what you've done in this department when it comes to penny pinching, please.

Thanks!

Last edited by kscowboy01; 07/16/17.
GB1

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Just be sure to get the dehydrated ice cream.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Always mixed and match to make them better.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Don't screw around and worry about saving a couple of bucks. Get the dinners for two and be done with it.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I've done the math on cans and I wouldn't save enough money for the hassle.

IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
If you are going to break the cans down into meals, you'll need to vacuum seal the separate meals you make.

A Zip-lock (most of the time - 99.9999%) will leak a bit over time, and you'll draw moisture into the meal.

Not an issue if you plan on eating every one of them in 2-3 days, but it will be if you have leftovers.

However, I think the posts above are spot-on, unless you get a killer deal on the cans, the cost to repackage isn't going to save you much...if any.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
You must be very careful with Mountain House this year. This year the west is at the top of the cycle for the dreaded Rocky Mountain Barking Spider. They are attracted by Mountain House. You probably won't see them but you'll hear them around camp at night after Mountain House draws them in. Some of those [bleep] are small and squeaky while others let loose a full on battle cry which can be most disturbing. Unlike normal spiders who have a venomous bite, Rocky Mountain Barking Spiders kill with a noxious odor.

So far as Mountain House itself, I think the packets are the way to go. You can have 2-3-4 different kinds instead of being stuck with a single flavor. If you're cooking at the truck, it might be worth taking bowls to dump them into after they reconstitute, makes eating easier. Salt and pepper, garlic salt, maybe even a little vegetable oil or butter, and if you get the Italian flavors, a small amount of ground parmesan can turn them from ok-ish to pretty damned good. There aren't any of the dinners I don't like. Breakfast eggs with bacon is good .. personally, I drink whatever water didn't absorb rather than pour it out. Mid-day, the granola is good 'cause y' just add water, no heat needed, and you can eat it immediately. Biscuits and gravy is bland.

But .. do watch out for those "spiders".

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by John_Havard
Don't screw around and worry about saving a couple of bucks. Get the dinners for two and be done with it.

True.

The 10# cans include a lot of stuff that you don't need like peas, pasta, etc. I like Chicken Fajita Bowl, Breakfast Skillet, and Italian Style Pepper Steak. BTW dinners for two only feed two midgets or children. I take a dinner for two and eat it all myself.

Oatmeal, Cup-O-Noodles, beef jerky, sandwich crackers.

Breakfast cereal and powdered milk.

Take some tortillas.

Dried fruit & peanut butter.

Tang & cocoa.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Check out Alpine Aire, Backpackers Pantry and Good To Go, you get more selections and the food is pretty damned good too.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Personally, I wouldn't want to make a habit of pouring boiling water in a zip-loc, letting it sit ten minutes, and then eating out of it.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by smokepole
Personally, I wouldn't want to make a habit of pouring boiling water in a zip-loc, letting it sit ten minutes, and then eating out of it.
Freezer bags yes, Zip lock no way, it will be melted and your food all over the ground in about 10 seconds. lol

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I don't think I'd want to do it with a freezer bag either, soft plastic has some nasty sh** in it and hot water might leach it out.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I still want to hurl at the thought of the MH eggs. Tried it twice. No glory.

Stews, chicken and rice, etc. AOK

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
For me the cans are not worth the hassle. Just get your flavors in pouches or the pro packs if space is at a minimum. I really like the chicken breast and spuds. It is like real meat!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by KC
Originally Posted by John_Havard

True.

The 10# cans include a lot of stuff that you don't need like peas, pasta, etc. I like Chicken Fajita Bowl, Breakfast Skillet, and Italian Style Pepper Steak. BTW dinners for two only feed two midgets or children. I take a dinner for two and eat it all myself.

Oatmeal, Cup-O-Noodles, beef jerky, sandwich crackers.

Breakfast cereal and powdered milk.

Take some tortillas.

Dried fruit & peanut butter.

Tang & cocoa.

KC

The meals for two are just right. I don't consume a lot of calories but when hunting I throw down more. I am gluten intolerant but find the MH ones like the chicken fajita bowel great and a few others. I tend to use just a little over half the water recommended for the meals to thicken them up. Tortillas don't spoil, good call. I like the jar of Justin's Honey or Maple Almond Butter over peanut butter, not only is it not affected by heat as much but you eat a couple tables spoons for breakfast and you'll park a dry-docker the length of your arm ASAP.
Might help when eating MH for three days.

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
Check out Alpine Aire, Backpackers Pantry and Good To Go, you get more selections and the food is pretty damned good too.

I'm not so sure I would characterise any freeze-dried food as "pretty damned good". Just my opinion.

Yes, AlpineAire and Backpackers Pantry offer some other options that are not too revolting and some are quick and easy. But make sure that you read the cooking instructions because there are also some that require complex procedures, simmering, etc. Mountain House just needs boiling water and patience.

BTW wait about 1 1/2 longer than the package recommends when you are at high altitude because water boils at lower temperature and therefore it takes longer to properly rehydrate the food.

I'm not familiar with Good to Go.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Chicken al a King
Breakfast Skillet

Don't see any advantage to buying in bulk. The packages are very easy to eat out of and it's too easy to puncture Ziplocs in a pack.

I retired from the Johns Manville asbestos pop tart factory in ‘59, and still never made the connection.—-Slumlord
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I could go a week alternating between beef stroganoff and turkey tetrazzini

Might need an enema after two weeks but you'll survive!

Anyone repackage bulk in food saver bags? Seems like they could take boiling water but I haven't tried it.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ironbender

Might need an enema after two weeks but you'll survive!

Crack me up.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I like the pro packs, better portion size for me, and takes up a little less space in the pack. Beef Stroganoff and Chili Mac are my favorites. They will stop your azz up after a few days though.

God Bless America!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

87 members (6MMWASP, Akhutr, AdventureBound, 338reddog, 260Remguy, 44automag, 8 invisible), 1,673 guests, and 864 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,198
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.