Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Not everyone likes them. I don't, but then I don't have much time for any HV .22 ammo. I target shoot mainly, with a little plinking thrown in and I go for accuracy over speed. Even though I'm an avid squirrel hunter and shoot more than my share of them, I even prefer standard velocity target ammo for them also- again choosing accuracy over velocity. (And over the course of 50 years at that game I honestly can't remember ever losing a squirrel because I didn't hit it with a HV bullet.) I don't buy into the nonsense of shooting deer with magnum cartridges either.

In my experience Stingers always, without fail, turned in lousy accuracy. (To me lousy accuracy is an inch or worse at 50 yards- and Stingers always were that bad and worse, usually a lot worse. Useable accuracy equals 1/2-3/4"/50 yards. Expected accuracy is 1/4-1/2".)

1/4" groups are fun but any 22LR consistently putting five shots into 1" @ 50yds, is going to be a bad mamma jamma on the killing fields.

Dave

Agreed, but this is one area I let myself get anal about. I'll concede MM's can be ok accuracy-wise, but my rant was about Stingers. I never had any luck with them.

I don't have ground squirrels, gophers, prairie dogs, etc that y'all have out there, so shooting hundreds (let alone thousands) of shots at small game for me is a non-starter. Also, for me, the mild "thap" of an Eley Tenex compared to the crack of a HV round is a valid reason for choosing them also. The squirrels (what's a "skwirl") don't seem to shy away as much. Shooting them out of a 28" barreled M52 also helps keep things quiet. (And no, I don't care to get into suppressors.)

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
MM HP's RULE!
Effective.
Cheap.
True and
Local.

Have Dog

Will Travel

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
They shoot excellent in all of my .22's.. Must have 6 or 8.

Molon Labe
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Not everyone likes them. I don't, but then I don't have much time for any HV .22 ammo. I target shoot mainly, with a little plinking thrown in and I go for accuracy over speed. Even though I'm an avid squirrel hunter and shoot more than my share of them, I even prefer standard velocity target ammo for them also- again choosing accuracy over velocity. (And over the course of 50 years at that game I honestly can't remember ever losing a squirrel because I didn't hit it with a HV bullet.) I don't buy into the nonsense of shooting deer with magnum cartridges either.

In my experience Stingers always, without fail, turned in lousy accuracy. (To me lousy accuracy is an inch or worse at 50 yards- and Stingers always were that bad and worse, usually a lot worse. Useable accuracy equals 1/2-3/4"/50 yards. Expected accuracy is 1/4-1/2".)

1/4" groups are fun but any 22LR consistently putting five shots into 1" @ 50yds, is going to be a bad mamma jamma on the killing fields.

Dave

Agreed, but this is one area I let myself get anal about. I'll concede MM's can be ok accuracy-wise, but my rant was about Stingers. I never had any luck with them.

I don't have ground squirrels, gophers, prairie dogs, etc that y'all have out there, so shooting hundreds (let alone thousands) of shots at small game for me is a non-starter. Also, for me, the mild "thap" of an Eley Tenex compared to the crack of a HV round is a valid reason for choosing them also. The squirrels (what's a "skwirl") don't seem to shy away as much. Shooting them out of a 28" barreled M52 also helps keep things quiet. (And no, I don't care to get into suppressors.)

I've found the Stingers to shoot really well in my bolt guns. But they give me fits in my Magnum Research.

The Browning HV's are pretty awesome. But I don't think I'd use them for squirrels out east. They really make things pop.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Stingers & Yellowjackets only shoot well out of my CZ & Remington 513T.. But they are deadly in those two 👍

Molon Labe
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

I split the difference with my small game ammo and use RWS SSHPs. As accurate as anything I've tried so far in my sporter, and killer-diller on squirrels. They also hit the same POI as SVs and Aguila match, and darn close to Quiet .22 solids. Don't worry about bigger critters anymore since I grew up and got bigger guns. The SS ammo is much quieter in the woods where HS makes a considerable crack.

Stingers are a crapshoot accuracy-wise, but are the killingest LRs I've used. They're the only one I'd trust to kill groundhogs cleanly with a chest shot. They also crank about 1200fps out of a pistol.

Last edited by Pappy348; 07/17/17.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mini Mags? I started using them back in the mid-1970s because they gave the best combo of accuracy and kill-power, literally the best bang for the buck, back when they WERE a buck. I've almost never had a "bad" lot of Mini Mags in all those years. Only other brand that has come close have been the early production Win 40 SWCHP, the Power Points. Those were outstanding, then terrible, now are "coming back" a little. But the Good Ol Boys in Lewiston have never, ever dropped the ball.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not always the most accurate, depending on the individual firearm. But over the past 40+ years, one of the most consistently reliable choices to be found in my experiences.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
CCI Singers for me. They are accurate in my Nylon 66 & my Marlin model 60

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Dave

!" @ 50 yds, 5 shot group... need to tear that gun apart and find out what's wrong with it... or just go ahead and shoot a shotgun.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
IC B3

J
JSH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Very reliable and at least reasonably accurate in everything I have ever tried them in. I have had great luck with CCI rimfire ammo across the board. I could be happy with just Mini Mags and CCI Standard Velocity for all of my 22LR shooting.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
A few days ago, I went to the range for some informal shooting. I shot 300 MM hollow points through a Remington Model 550-1. No issues and very good accuracy. That is an example of why MMHP ammo is one of my favorites.

μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A year or so ago you'd have been labeled a wastrel and a showoff.

Glad that's over.

What fresh Hell is this?
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
CCI Mini Mags earned a good reputation for value, reliability, and availability during a time when the Rem golden bullets were really hit and miss.

Then CCI has gone the extra mile to develop a variety of 22 rounds, ans well as other rimfire stuff. They have shown a lot of innovation.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
there is a reason the mini mags are the suggested ammo by many rimfire pistol and auto rifles from the factory , they make them function properly

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have used them for many years as my go to squirrel ammo in multiple rifles. Midway came through with a 5000 round case during the crisis so I never had to venture very far from my normal ammo. I use this ammo in a couple of rifles still to date, a Rem 541, a Marlin 80 and Rem 550-1. It has also performed very well, never had a misfire and is accurate. It is not match ammo,

CK
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
My reason for liking Mini Mags is about the same as everyone elses. Just looked over an accuracy chart I've been compiling over the last 4 rifles I've owned (CZ 452, 455, and two 10/22's), and until last November, I used almost exclusively high velocity stuff, and mostly HP. Mini Mags hover around the top 5 most accurate in all of them, never had a misfire that I can remember, nor a feeding issue.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Never had any problem with them for plinking and hunting. They are not match ammo.

Norma TAC is becoming a favorite (not match either), but still will be shooting the MM's until I die.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
well throw me in with the overall majority on mini mags, they shoot really well in most rifles i've shot them out of and they pack a nice punch for hunting. they also shot very well out of my Mark II that i used for squirrels at times. my preference on the mini mags is the hollow points. I've now grown very found of the Norma TAC-22 for informal range shooting. i still haven't tried any of the Aguila stuff rat smackers recommends but its on my list to do as soon as this blasted heat goes away now that i've finished my home project for the summer.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

620 members (160user, 2500HD, 204guy, 257 roberts, 12344mag, 1234, 54 invisible), 2,462 guests, and 1,225 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,635
Posts18,455,246
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.