Campfire Regular
Anyone have one?

Looking for some opinions.

BP-B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
My favorite piece of clothing since it came out. Warmest puffy I've ever had, period. Somewhat bulky in the space department but not in weight. About the same noise level and abrasion resistance as most puffys. I run a Kifaru slick bag 20 degree and the LPP seems like basically the same thing turned into a coat. The kangaroo pouch and cordura on the elbows are nice touches. The price hurt but I live in it for several weeks a year. I'd buy another in a heartbeat.

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- Michael Scott
Holston Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks.

Was set on ordering a First Lite Uncom-whatever, but the Kifaru isn't that off in price, and seems that its warmer going by most reviews I've read.

I'd gladly sacrifice a little weight and packability for warmth on this one, as it's not too bulky.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I have the FL Uncompaghre puffy. It is one of my favorite jackets. I'd like to try the Kifaru but already have a couple of puffy jackets. Can it be worn as a stand alone - meaning is it water resistant/proof and quiet?

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Holston
Thanks.

Was set on ordering a First Lite Uncom-whatever, but the Kifaru isn't that off in price, and seems that its warmer going by most reviews I've read.

I'd gladly sacrifice a little weight and packability for warmth on this one, as it's not too bulky.

I agree - that's a good lookin' parka. And the first I'd heard of that one.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
IC B2

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Yes, it's water resistant. I wear mine late season stand hunting as the outer layer. It's probably the best at blocking wind and is also the warmest. I've worn it in a light rain and snow conditions without soaking out. I also use the Kuiu Kenai, which I love, but they are completely different tools. The First Lite puffy is thinner and more form fitting, but not as warm or durable.

It is not quiet.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
It will stand up to mist or a light sprinkle but that's about it in my experience. The climashield insulation retains a very high insulation rate even when wet so it'll still be warm even when saturated. The insulation is very uniform and doesn't clump. The jacket is very warm, I've hiked in that and a merino T shirt in extremely cold weather. Definitely wouldn't recommend hiking with the jacket on though unless it's really cold and downhill.

Holston Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Well the Kifaru parka came in today.

Can't believe how light this thing is. Bear in mind I've never had the latest and greatest cold weather clothing, but I'm still a little skeptical of how warm this will be.

Very happy to say the sleeve and body length are plenty long for me (6'7"), although it does fit a little snug to be a 2XL.

Thinking this may be a winner, will hold out opinions until I get at least a season in it.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Cool, hopefully you're as pleased with yours as I am with mine.

Holston Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Update after a few cold hunts....

This thing is awesome. Blows my mind how warm it is being so lightweight.

Time will tell about durability but everything else is well above my expectations.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Holston,
Glad it's working out for you.

Couple questions - sizing is about normal? And a scale of 1-10, with 10 being the "quietest", what would you rate/rank the parka?

WWP53D
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I bought a LPP in highlander this fall. Love the thing so much I bought one in CB Monday, along with a Slick Bag and a Doobie.....

[Linked Image]

Last edited by huntsman22; 11/15/17.
Holston Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SKane
Holston,
Glad it's working out for you.

Couple questions - sizing is about normal? And a scale of 1-10, with 10 being the "quietest", what would you rate/rank the parka?

I normally buy XL Tall sizes. I certainly wouldn't want one smaller than the 2X. I would say on the small side, but not terribly bad.

As far as noise, it's not quiet by any stretch, but I personally don't find it to be a problem. Not sure it'd be the ideal bowhunting jacket, but for anything else I don't see it being a problem. IF I had to put a number on it, I'd rate as a 5.

So in a nutshell, if you're in between sizes order up and don't expect it to be as quiet as fleece. Can't see how you'd be disappointed though, this really is the best piece of hunting clothing I've ever owned.

Holston Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by huntsman22
I bought a LPP in highlander this fall. Love the thing so much I bought one in CB Monday, along with a Slick Bag and a Doobie.....

[Linked Image]

Nice buck...

Curious to hear your thoughts on the Doobie. I'm debating between that and a HPG Mountain Serape.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I don't know if I'll ever pack in the doobie and use it as a glassing blanket as I've got puffers for that. I got it as a blanket for when I stay in my camper shell and my bed ain't warm enough. The 1st Icebreaker shoot I attended was a cold sumbish, and I needed another blankie (or two...)

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Holston

So in a nutshell, if you're in between sizes order up and don't expect it to be as quiet as fleece. Can't see how you'd be disappointed though, this really is the best piece of hunting clothing I've ever owned.

That's perfect intel - thank you.
You and Don just cost me some $$$. laugh

WWP53D
Holston Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SKane

That's perfect intel - thank you.
You and Don just cost me some $$$. laugh

I bet you'll love it.

And for what it's worth, i'm pretty tight with money, cause money is pretty tight. This was a big purchase for me, and I set my expectations extremely high based on price. I wasn't let down in any way.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I just hope the fartsack is as good as the coat....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Might have to try the parka, but do we understand the definition of doobie differently?

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Used a LPP this year for the last three weeks in three states from highs in the 80's to single digits and snowing.

General use was hiking hard to glassing spots and then sitting for hours. Hiked in a light base layer and fleece top and once at a glassing spot put on the Parka and puff pants to cook dry and insulate. It's a mid tempature puffy, not a super warm one. Down to around 30-35 degrees it was good for absolute comfort with a silk weight base layer and light fleece top under it. Absolute comfort is defined by me as sitting still for hours and being completely warm- not chilled at all. Below about 30* I had to move around some or build a fire. It was great in single digits if I were moving at all.

I like anoraks and pass through pockets, so really like the design and cut of the Lost Park. It also breathes better than most puffs. I could walk quit a bit as long as it wasn't a heavy effort and not be drenched in it.

Overall thought are-

Mid warmth
Great anorak design and hood
Breathes well and dries quickly
Relatively light (21oz in large)

It will work for some of my uses, but not for truly cold winter mountain weather while stationary. At least not without another insulating layer.

Nunatak Equipment make an early identical pullover that you can customize completely. Material, size, fit, down or synthetic with 2.5, 3.6, and 5oz of Climashield Apex insulation. The Kifaru Lost Park Parka is 3.6oz, and I think 5oz would be about right.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
614 members (219 Wasp, 2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 60 invisible), 2,516 guests, and 1,155 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,599
Posts18,398,261
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.