Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by SargeMO
Looks a lot like the Cominolli Glock Manual Safety, actually a well proven modification. I wouldn't be adverse to seeing it added as a factory option.

Figured you'd like it. grin

BP-B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Factor 4--License Rights--Ammunition was probably the actual determining factor.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Factor 4--License Rights--Ammunition was probably the actual determining factor.

So what's the deal with that? Glock chamber some kind of 9 3/16 mm proprietary round or something?

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Yeah, looks like they beat Glock on:
Ergos

License (price):
Ammunition
Handgun
Accessories

And manufacturing plan…which is kinda interesting. Sig had the better ammunition manufacturing plan (wonder who they partnered with?), and matched Glock on production plan for the pistol.

Glock won on “Early warfighter acceptance”…which I take to mean “reputation among troops?”
And Program management plan…I guess Glock has good project managers…or a good line of BS??

Sig's bid was over 100 million less than Glock, so that tells me they beat Glock on ammunition, pistol, and accessories (holsters, suppressors, magazines, cleaning equipment, armorer's tools, etc). With that big of a price gap, they had to beat Glock on pretty much everything. Clearly Sig wanted this one for real! Hope it works out for them.

GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by shootem

So what's the deal with that? Glock chamber some kind of 9 3/16 mm proprietary round or something?
Well we know that neither Sig or Glock manufacture ammunition, so they had to partner with an Ammo maker. And I can't imagine the DOD would accept a foreign ammunition maker for very obvious reasons. So Sig struck a very good deal with someone...whom, I have no clue. If I were Sig I'd ask for a larger quantity bid for ammo from the makers to try to gain an edge in price. Then figure that I'll just take the excess from the government contract, brand it Sig and sell commercially to get my money back. Ammo is like oil, it doesn't really go un-sold...you can always sell ammo.

IC B2

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
I don't know who they partnered with (maybe I'll ask on Monday), but it's good schit.

George

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Yea I like the Sig ammo

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Sig offers the ammo already; Glock does not.

Poor business planning on Glock's part if they really wanted to win.

GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
This just in, Sig partnered with Winchester for the ammo.
http://taskandpurpose.com/winchester-will-supply-ammo-armys-new-service-pistol/

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I sure as hell would not want to go to war with "low bid". A million bucks less!

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...il-evaluation-process-mhs-yes-certainly/

IC B3

GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jimmyp
I sure as hell would not want to go to war with "low bid". A million bucks less!

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...il-evaluation-process-mhs-yes-certainly/

Not a million less, a HUNDRED million less!

And it's not just low bid. They establish the minimum performance criteria (life span, MRBF, etc.) and then they take the lowest bid / best value from those that pass the test and meet their criteria. The 320 is only about 4-5 years old, but I have yet to hear of any real issues with it. I don't know how it will stack up to the M9 for reliability (probably pretty darned close, maybe even better), but it beats the hell out of the M9 in pretty much every other category, and I'll bet it holds it's own on reliability.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Somebody that really knows his schit predicted Sig would take over the LE market.

So far I think he's spot on.

Clark

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave
Somebody that really knows his schit predicted Sig would take over the LE market.

Clark
That's funny, because I remember that post...and I remember thinking to myself...YEP!!!

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

Clark

Perhaps, and then again, perhaps not. The Beretta M9 (92FS) was adopted by the military around 1987, just about the time the Glock 17 began making inroads into the LE market (City of Miami Police Department). While some law enforcement agencies did adopt the Beretta 92, the vast majority went with the Glock and still issue or approve it for duty use today. About 65% of the nation's LEOs carry Glocks. Just because the military adopts a particular weapon is no guarantee civilian police departments will do so as well. There are a myriad of factors that enter into such a decision, and unit cost is just one of those factors. Only time will tell.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
100 million less. Time will tell.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Clark

🎈👍🏻 🔫

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
At some point in this very basic testing, the bids were released. The SIG bid was a great deal less that Glock. Mind you this includes pistols, magazines, parts, training as well as other ancillary equipment. Sometime during this revelation, the government in it’s usual consistency in decision making chose the lowest bidder and called a halt to the second and most revealing portion of the testing. The reasoning behind the governments decision was based on the first set of test where the government declared that both guns were so close in performance there was no need to continue with the second phase of testing and awarded the contract to SIG because of the much lower price that they believed Glock could never match or come close to.

Over a longer (testing) period, the ergonomics would be further tested as would the life expectancy of each entry. The expected figure before breakdown was right at 20,000 rounds. There would be the usual water immersion, mud test, sand, drop test etcetera which when done should have provided conclusive proof of which pistol was correct for our soldiers.

Would the low bidder have been the best pistol for the job or the high bidder? We’ll never know unless the test are continued and completed with both companies guns involved.

Time will tell if once again .gov bought a pig in a poke, MacNamara saved 1 cent per barrel and killed a lot of men.

GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
McNamara made the right call…the mistake was in pressing it into the field before it was really ready.

Last edited by GunGeek; 07/18/17.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
what possesses you to say that sending a bare steel barrel into a rain forest was the right call? Secondly having shot early glocks with north of 50,000 rounds through them, time will tell if the modular sig will last as they shut the test down after sig bought the order. so again only time will tell.

GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jimmyp
what possesses you to say that sending a bare steel barrel into a rain forest was the right call? Secondly having shot early glocks with north of 50,000 rounds through them, time will tell if the modular sig will last as they shut the test down after sig bought the order. so again only time will tell.
Reading comprehension dood, read the second part of the sentence above. The decision to dump the M14 and adopt the M16 was the right call. Pushing the M16 into service in a war before it was ready, was the wrong call.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
518 members (160user, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 52 invisible), 2,266 guests, and 1,036 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,596
Posts18,398,179
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.