Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Learned there have been a few changes domestically since last Fall when the nut job started shooting people in Ft. Lauderdale.

I have an aluminum case with multiple latches that has a rod the run through the latches and is secured and can be locked at one end. For years I've seen people flay around the world with such a rig, but leave the rod our and just attach a lock on one of the latches. Saves pulling the rod in and out at the counter to put the firearms declaration in it. So this weekend I made a trip to do some shooting, and went to the airport with 2 cases locked, but no rod.

It seems that the TSA and the airlines demand a lock on every single latch now. If I had the rod, the one lock would have been ok. TSA put a handful of little locks on my case, and I had TSA at the other end unlock them.

On another note, I get an over zealous Delta supervisor that wants me to put all the TSA locks on the case at the ticket counter. So I Open the case, put the declaration in , lock it up, and snap on all the little TSA locks. Then she tells me to open it back up, because nobody inspected the firearms to ensure they are unloaded. Uh, she told me to lock it up? I don't have the TSA key. So they get TSA to unlock it, and I open the cases, and she looks at the rifles without touching them and tells me to lock it up.

How does she know my rifles are unloaded? Would she even knows where to look? I could have had a round in the chamber or a full magazine. My point is that this check THINKS she was doing everything by the book, but wasn't. It takes a little patience to fly with guns these days.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
BP-B2

Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
I actually feel less safe with these TSA jaggoffs after 911. I have the same case. Old school Cabela's. People get a kick out of the Namibia, Cameroon, Tanzania stickers on it.

hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Love it! I have a friend who put guitar stickes on his. Gibson, Fender, Marshall, Pevy etc. as camouflage. Nobody seems concerned with a hippie musician with a guitar case.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
During the 1990's I used a very innocuous-looking aluminum take-down case on many hunts around the world. Went to the Czech Republic one fall to hunt red stag, and the customs woman waved me and my wife right through without even looking inside the case, much less filling out many forms. This was great, since we'd just spent 30 hours in airports and planes coming from Montana.

But in the greeting area the young man sent to greet us asked if we had "papers" for the rifle. When I said no, he went into a panic and dragged me back to the woman. They had a hurried conversation in Czech, and it turned out she thought I was part of an orchestra that had also just landed in another plane, and the case held a trumpet or some other instrument. So we then went to see the police, which in those days didn't take long, and I finally entered the country with legal papers for my rifle....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
That's weird Jeff. On my several trips, using an aluminum case like yours, I had a couple of keyed master locks on my rifle case instead of TSA locks. I was told that I should be the only person able to open that case, not some bunch of idiots who all had TSA keys while I wasn't present.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by JGRaider
That's weird Jeff. On my several trips, using an aluminum case like yours, I had a couple of keyed master locks on my rifle case instead of TSA locks. I was told that I should be the only person able to open that case, not some bunch of idiots who all had TSA keys while I wasn't present.

I was told similar by Delta. They told me to put Non-TSA lock on all lock holes. Your case should only be able to be opened in your presence and the employees should not even touch your rifle, as they are not trained to handle firearms. The ammo should be stored in a separate case with TSA locks.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bought an SKB rifle case a few years ago BECAUSE it had built in TSA locks on it. I used it once, then got wind that I had to convert the locks from TSA locks because guns were an exception and no TSA locks on guns cases. I looked it up and that is the case. ATF rules vs. TSA rules. Anyway, I called SKB to order the new locks for the conversion. SKB told me to use a sharp pointed object, you know kinda like a pocket knife and pry off the little TSA lock symbol with the #2 on it. Violia! it's now converted to a non TSA lock,
My last couple of trips, the counter agent asked to see the gun. They have no idea in the world how to determine if it's loaded or not loaded, they just asked me about that and seemed happy with the correct response. From what I can tell they just want to make sure if you're declaring a weapon that there is actually a weapon in there. I'm guessing to help prevent phony claims.

Last edited by chickasaw_hunter; 05/30/17.

The older I get the better I was.
hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Another twist is that the Harrisburg put a big zip tie around each case and claimed that was a new regulation before they released the case. Like a zip tie is going to deter exactly what criminal behavior?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This is simply hilarious, if equal requirements were made to drive a car or operate heavy equipment the USA would shut down within in hours of chaos.

Nobody has an accepted standard. I too have been in the exact situation described in the original post, however, I did have the metal rod in place. She told me that it was now a Lock it was a rod, it must be a lock!

After a little testy conversation with the supervisor, and of all people a baggage handler that happened by as we were discussing this. It was put on the belt. Seems the baggage handlers credibility was the apex judgement in the whole discussion. Once that older black fella said " it's locked ........ it's all locked up, aint nodody gonna open any those latches unless that padlock comes off. "ship it"

They all then agreed and away it went.

Thankfully these idiots default to baggage handler guidance, not sure what authority the guy with the yellow vest and kneepads had but his word was golden to them.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Only use private locks on a traveling Gun case and ammo box.

IC B3

RAC Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I just used the same case to go to Zim. Flew on Emirates out of Houston and had no problems on either end.

I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf....

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Read a report somewhere once where a guy was leaving "small town" Wyoming on a plane. Said the young lady that checked him in and also loaded baggage could go through rifles like Forest Gump assembling an M16. More impressed with her than any big city airport he had ever passed through.

1Minute
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JGRaider

This is correct. TSA Locks are ILLEGAL on firearm cases. If they want to open it, they have to come to you and you open it, or once it's gone down into the bowels of the luggage world, if they want to open it, they must contact you and get the key.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I had Master locks on it, they just wanted every orifice with a lock on it since I omitted the rod.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Have any of you travelled with several guns???

Like 3 rifles and 3 handguns?

Im heading south this summer and plan to pick up a few of my rifles and revolvers to take back to AK. I was thinking Id just buy a few pelican cases and make it all fit, like 2 - 2 rifle cases and sort of pad the revolvers in the place where the 4th rifle would go.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A couple years ago I related that a friend in Seattle SEATAC had to remove his guns from one of the big plastic black golf club shipping containers (Pelican ?) and have his wife bring a "regular" hard sided gun case to the airport for him to use. The gate agent refused to check his gun in what she said was a "golf" case as it was not a "gun" case. Then, the locking issue wasn't as important as the fact that it wasn't a "gun" case. He even met with the supervisor and the super would not overrule the agent even though he agreed with the gun owner that the "golf" case was in fact a "gun" case.

Last edited by Rolly; 05/31/17.

Rolly
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Just to be clear, the TSA and other "security" cock gobblers are authorized and equipped to get in to any case they want in.

A few years ago, I got separated from my guns and they stayed in Chicago while I went on to Namibia via Swiss Air. When the gun case showed up, eventually, TSA had cut my Masterlocks and left a note. They then re-attached one of the extra locks I had packed inside the case. Swiss Air, or whoever, then opened the case again (another note!) and sent the case on to JHB secured with the other extra lock I had. I'm not sure what happened in South Africa, but when the case showed up in Windhoek it had one lock, with the wrong key jammed into it so solid it took pliers and a hammer to get out, and a wire tie! Everyone did return my locks, jagged bolt cut pieces and all, rattling around in the case with the guns!

The rifles were fine, but I had to buy new locks in Windhoek before returning!

Winchester rifles and Swarovski scopes.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by Rolly
A couple years ago I related that a friend in Seattle SEATAC had to remove his guns from one of the big plastic black golf club shipping containers (Pelican ?) and have his wife bring a "regular" hard sided gun case to the airport for him to use. The gate agent refused to check his gun in what she said was a "golf" case as it was not a "gun" case. Then, the locking issue wasn't as important as the fact that it wasn't a "gun" case. He even met with the supervisor and the super would not overrule the agent even though he agreed with the gun owner that the "golf" case was in fact a "gun" case.

No problem, I often have additional "hardware" inside. You need to confirm with your carrier, though - they may have restrictions of their own.

"Think about how stupid the average person is, and then think that half of the people are stupider than that" - George Carlin
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Are there any issues with the Tuff Pak type case? I have not been to Africa since 2001 but am going to Namibia next summer....

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I don't much care for Tuff Pak although many do. For me, it's a real PITA to pull your guns out that you've packed and cushioned with clothing. It's time consuming to put them back it. Also, if you look at what you PAY and what you get, it seems overpriced. Maybe JJ Hack will chime in with his vast experience.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
695 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1Akshooter, 1beaver_shooter, 71 invisible), 3,013 guests, and 1,415 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,680
Posts18,399,622
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.