Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I recently picked up a 14x16 wall tent from the WTS with a side wall stove jack. I need to get a stove setup for it, so let's hear about the best options out there. Thanks!

GB1

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Does it need to be lightweight?

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Used a Cabelas Chef Wall Tent Barrel Stove for years and it worked awesome. Everything fit into the stove for transportation. Set up was easy and it heated well. We had saddle water tanks for it that heated water for cooking and washing, which worked really well too, except as the water evaporated, it condensed on the inside of the tent. Dripped on everything. Seems like most people favor propane heaters now...

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Camp-Chef-Wall-Tent-Barrel-Stove-Kit/716016.uts?searchPath=%2Fbrowse.cmd%3FcategoryId%3D734095080%26CQ_search%3Dtent%2Bstove

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by deflave

Dave

Good question. If not, I like the cylinder stove that came with my 16 X 20 tent. It's pretty heavy, not good for horse packing. It'll burn coal, that's good for overnight. If you don't hear from Huntsman, send him a PM, he's always used a side wall jack.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Cylinder Stove, the original out of Cedar City, Utah, not the Chinese knockoff by Camp Chef.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deflave

Dave

Not especially.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Davis Tent has them, I have the Ridge model for my 14x16 with no issues however the piping that's included in their kit isn't for side wall applications

Huntinut

"If it's the truth it ain't braggin" Will Rogers
T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T

Last edited by TJAY; 07/18/17.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't know if they're the "best" or not, but I sure have not been disappointed with my stove from these guys:

http://www.coloradocylinderstoves.com/Cylinder-Stove-Only_c2.htm

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Mountain10mm
Used a Cabelas Chef Wall Tent Barrel Stove for years and it worked awesome. Everything fit into the stove for transportation. Set up was easy and it heated well. We had saddle water tanks for it that heated water for cooking and washing, which worked really well too, except as the water evaporated, it condensed on the inside of the tent. Dripped on everything. Seems like most people favor propane heaters now...

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Camp-Chef-Wall-Tent-Barrel-Stove-Kit/716016.uts?searchPath=%2Fbrowse.cmd%3FcategoryId%3D734095080%26CQ_search%3Dtent%2Bstove

Propane causes a lot of dripping, too, unless you have a vented stove.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wow that stove is heavy.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
Cylinder Stove, the original out of Cedar City, Utah, not the Chinese knockoff by Camp Chef.

That is what I use but I don't know the brand. I bought it used here on the 'fire.

It's heavy but I drive to my wall tent locations so I don't much give a schit.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Some of the places I camp there's no firewood to cut and if you have ever been to eastern Montana there's not much wood to cut here to bring with so I bought a Riley pellet stove and I love the hell out of it. I'm one of those guys that instead of getting up in the middle of the night to add wood to the fire I just hunkered down in my sleeping bag. Now I fill the hopper when I crawl into the bag and the tents warm when I wake up in the morning

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
A lot of folks have commented about the dripping caused by propane heaters. Here in CO being so dry,and I kept the two vents open on the wall tent where the main beam goes thru on each end,I never seemed to have a problem.I used one of the 30K BTU Blue Flame from Northern Tool. Sure was nice not having to cut would and reach over in the Am to turn the heat on I also used it in my stock trailer when we made that into a camp.

https://postimg.org/image/q2mnr6yu1/

I do have a Sims,Sportsman fold up stove that is all nested and weighs 18pounds that I used when I packed back into a wilderness area.

Last edited by saddlesore; 07/17/17.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Hmm, I just unpackaged the tent last night to have a look at things, and noticed that it actually has a roof-mounted stove jack. Not sure if that makes any difference. So do you guys like the rounded, barrel-shaped stoves, or square box stoves, and why?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a roof vent and bought one of these stoves last year. Worked well last fall and so far I am very happy with it. Several made in the US stoves that look quite nice.

http://www.cylinderstoves.com/stoves.html?limit=all

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
With the same size tent we have used 3 stoves thus far.

Box stove, wood burner - required frequent feeding with wood. Didn't throw enough heat for that size tent. Would have been better though if we had some higher BTU wood available or if we had added a few lumps of coal.

Pot Belly, coal burner. More heat, less stoking. Still needed too much feeding, dirty, and hauling coal is a nuisance.

Cylinder Stove. Best so far. Flat top surface is very nice to have. Pretty well suited for a wall tent. Still needs frequent stoking with the native soft woods. Way better with higher BTU woods.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you are packing in, the constant rubbing of the edges of metal can prematurely wear outpanniers, mantises, and gear ( as in the tent or sleeping bags. The roundness and lack of edge or fold up stoves help allieviarte that.

When truck camping a propane space heater or cooker one or two burner really get the edge off quick. In the mornings. So also does brought in hardwood or coal to keep longer fires. A damper is very helpful, and so is insulating the roof area with a layer of cloth or flannel, or high tech " foil cloth".

Thicker the steel, the tighter the box the longer she burns, but less instant heat one gets. I always put dirt in the bottom of the stove to in hopes of prolonging the life of the fire boxes bottom.

There is a propane chimney stove called a Nu Wave that works great in warmer weather and smaller tents. But a wood fire in a Wall Tent is big medicine for the soul IMO.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have a 16X20 Wall Tent that we used a square wood stove to heat for several years. Then three years ago, we decided to try two Large Mr. Buddy's. The ones made for tents. We left the vents open in the tent to prevent moisture and were shocked at how warm those heaters kept us. We turned them down low at night just to be able to sleep and we don't have to get up throughout the night to stoke the fire. Turn them on high in the morning and in five minutes the tent was again very comfortable. You may want to consider bringing a propane heater as a back-up to see how it works in your size tent. BTW, I showed this method to an outfitter in Colorado and they now use them for back-up heat for their tent hunters.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Angus1895
If you are packing in, the constant rubbing of the edges of metal can prematurely wear outpanniers, mantises, and gear ( as in the tent or sleeping bags. The roundness and lack of edge or fold up stoves help allieviate that. .

The Sims fold up stove I have came with a heavy duty canvas covering type bag Size wise it fit nicely into a canvas pannier. It heated a 12 x 15 wall tent great. The addition of dirt, plus when the ashes build up more , they get a longer burn.

http://simsstoves.com/stoveSportsman.html

Last edited by saddlesore; 07/18/17.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Throw in several hand fulls of kingsford before crashing and it burns all night without the coal mess

Huntinut

"If it's the truth it ain't braggin" Will Rogers
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by T_Inman
I don't know if they're the "best" or not, but I sure have not been disappointed with my stove from these guys:

http://www.coloradocylinderstoves.com/Cylinder-Stove-Only_c2.htm

[Linked Image]

I bought one of these and I would not recommend this stove to anyone. Many issues since I bought it and the main issue is the front door design that does not have enough vents to provide enough air.

Expensive junk.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
says the guy that don't know how to use a stove......

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
please tell us all about the 'issues'. It'll be funnier than [bleep]....

V
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
V
I use a stove made by Four Dog Stove Company in my 17x14 wall tent. I think mine is the 3-dog model which keeps my tent very warm but Virginia does not have super cold weather do deal with in November, which is when it is used most.

It is a heavy stove and would not pack well.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This is my buddies tent and stove.......I supply the wood

oak

[Linked Image]

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Another vote for Four Dog Stoves. I love mine with the side water tank.

Four Dog Stoves

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Kwik Kamp makes a good stove as well.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by huntsman22

Okay here you go. I will give you a few examples for the smallest one they make that I bought off my arctic Owen tent.

1. Three little tiny air vents
2. Water tank lid will not open completely and it's difficult to refill since you have to hold it with one hand
3. Legs are thin and unstable
4. Doors won't seal and are leaking

It's a garbage and I would be happy to sell it to you since you like it so much ...

M
MLF Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Eldfell Swedish wood stove imported by Mansfield outdoors in WA. is a first rate stove worthy of inspection. Pricey but engineered well and a fire will last for hours.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ShakyHands
Originally Posted by huntsman22

1. Three little tiny air vents
2. Water tank lid will not open completely and it's difficult to refill since you have to hold it with one hand
3. Legs are thin and unstable
4. Doors won't seal and are leaking

like I said.....

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

That is strange, we have the same cylinder stove in our Elk season group tent and it works great. My personal wall tent has a 4 Dog Stove.

Last edited by TAGLARRY; 08/07/17.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
FWIW, If you are not packing in this may be a possibility. A buddy we hunt with in Colorado built a stacked barrel stove with the wood box on the bottom and the stove pipe passing through the top barrel that worked as an oven. The top oven part had a wire shelf to hold large trays of whatever meals need heating. Not too tough to build and not that heavy either,

First guy back at the end of the day, stuck in a home prepared pan of lasagna or whatever and sat back with a cold brew. Everybody brought 2 meals and we were good for the week.

When your all whooped it is really nice to take cooking dinner out of play.

C
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
C

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by charleeontop

I have a similar one, except it is pre multi fuel. Plain old wood burner. The big problem with it is that you feed from the top.Pretty hot when you already have a good fire going in it and want to add more wood

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
charleeontop

I have one of those multi fuel stoves. It works great but does burn a lot of diesel fuel so we only run it a couple hrs. a day to heat the sleeping tent in the evening.

C
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
C
Saddlesore, TJAY,
I have been wanting to try one, the price seems reasonable.
thanks charlee

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Angus1895
But a wood fire in a Wall Tent is big medicine for the soul IMO.

AMEN!!!!

Life is but the memories we've created.....Sully Erna
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I use a voltxzgang boxwood stove from harbor freight. Works good but the s heavy. Car camping only!

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by TJAY

Yes! I was just looking for that and forgot to ask you.

Camp is where you make it.
Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have only used the 50 gallon drum conversion. I think you can used them on the smaller drums too.
get the barrel for free and about 50$ for the kit. then you'll need black 6" pipe and some elbows. I use a china cap as my pipe goes out the roof and not the side. out the side you'll need a support/steak.
On my last section of the 6" chimney pipe, I drilled about 20, 1/2" holes in to get extra air in the pipe to burn off embers before exiting..
I also installed a piece of 1/4", 12x12 steel plate on top that my buddy had laying around. On this we put on a Big pot with a spout for our hot water.

Last edited by Dre; 08/30/17.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Another vote for the 4dogs, used mine in night temps between 0 and 15 last year on late season elk in AZ and kept my tent plenty warm. Will agree with the stoking tho, got about 4 hours out a couple large pieces of mesquite. Might try the kingsford this year. Mine was only a 12x12 tent an i had their 3 dog model i believe, it was whatever they recommended for that tent size. Heavy and kind of pricey but well made.

Deserve's got nuthin to do with it- Willam H Munny
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Had a 4-Dog stove and liked it. The front vent looks like it'll let sparks out, but it doesn't. As others have mentioned, the baffle provides a hot spot for cooking but it also prevents sparks from going up the flue. Never saw a spark fly out the flue, nor had burns on my tent.

The owner of the company is a straight shooter. I spoke to him before ordering my stove. Was going to buy a water jacket, but he recommended a big kettle instead. Reason being that you can carry the hot water where you want, like outside the tent. I kept the kettle on one stove shelf all the time where it stayed hot but not boiling. Sliding it over to the stovetop got it boiling quick. Saved a decent amount of money compared to the water jackets, and appreciated the advice. He had quite a few other camping tips, and I enjoyed the conversation.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

722 members (160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 163dm, 71 invisible), 3,106 guests, and 1,283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,582
Posts18,454,200
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.