Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I recently picked up a 14x16 wall tent from the WTS with a side wall stove jack. I need to get a stove setup for it, so let's hear about the best options out there. Thanks!

BP-B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Does it need to be lightweight?

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Used a Cabelas Chef Wall Tent Barrel Stove for years and it worked awesome. Everything fit into the stove for transportation. Set up was easy and it heated well. We had saddle water tanks for it that heated water for cooking and washing, which worked really well too, except as the water evaporated, it condensed on the inside of the tent. Dripped on everything. Seems like most people favor propane heaters now...

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Camp-Chef-Wall-Tent-Barrel-Stove-Kit/716016.uts?searchPath=%2Fbrowse.cmd%3FcategoryId%3D734095080%26CQ_search%3Dtent%2Bstove

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by deflave

Dave

Good question. If not, I like the cylinder stove that came with my 16 X 20 tent. It's pretty heavy, not good for horse packing. It'll burn coal, that's good for overnight. If you don't hear from Huntsman, send him a PM, he's always used a side wall jack.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Cylinder Stove, the original out of Cedar City, Utah, not the Chinese knockoff by Camp Chef.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deflave

Dave

Not especially.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Davis Tent has them, I have the Ridge model for my 14x16 with no issues however the piping that's included in their kit isn't for side wall applications

Huntinut

"If it's the truth it ain't braggin" Will Rogers
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

Last edited by TJAY; 07/18/17.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't know if they're the "best" or not, but I sure have not been disappointed with my stove from these guys:

http://www.coloradocylinderstoves.com/Cylinder-Stove-Only_c2.htm

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Mountain10mm
Used a Cabelas Chef Wall Tent Barrel Stove for years and it worked awesome. Everything fit into the stove for transportation. Set up was easy and it heated well. We had saddle water tanks for it that heated water for cooking and washing, which worked really well too, except as the water evaporated, it condensed on the inside of the tent. Dripped on everything. Seems like most people favor propane heaters now...

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Camp-Chef-Wall-Tent-Barrel-Stove-Kit/716016.uts?searchPath=%2Fbrowse.cmd%3FcategoryId%3D734095080%26CQ_search%3Dtent%2Bstove

Propane causes a lot of dripping, too, unless you have a vented stove.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wow that stove is heavy.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
Cylinder Stove, the original out of Cedar City, Utah, not the Chinese knockoff by Camp Chef.

That is what I use but I don't know the brand. I bought it used here on the 'fire.

It's heavy but I drive to my wall tent locations so I don't much give a schit.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Some of the places I camp there's no firewood to cut and if you have ever been to eastern Montana there's not much wood to cut here to bring with so I bought a Riley pellet stove and I love the hell out of it. I'm one of those guys that instead of getting up in the middle of the night to add wood to the fire I just hunkered down in my sleeping bag. Now I fill the hopper when I crawl into the bag and the tents warm when I wake up in the morning

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
A lot of folks have commented about the dripping caused by propane heaters. Here in CO being so dry,and I kept the two vents open on the wall tent where the main beam goes thru on each end,I never seemed to have a problem.I used one of the 30K BTU Blue Flame from Northern Tool. Sure was nice not having to cut would and reach over in the Am to turn the heat on I also used it in my stock trailer when we made that into a camp.

https://postimg.org/image/q2mnr6yu1/

I do have a Sims,Sportsman fold up stove that is all nested and weighs 18pounds that I used when I packed back into a wilderness area.

Last edited by saddlesore; 07/17/17.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Hmm, I just unpackaged the tent last night to have a look at things, and noticed that it actually has a roof-mounted stove jack. Not sure if that makes any difference. So do you guys like the rounded, barrel-shaped stoves, or square box stoves, and why?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a roof vent and bought one of these stoves last year. Worked well last fall and so far I am very happy with it. Several made in the US stoves that look quite nice.

http://www.cylinderstoves.com/stoves.html?limit=all

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
With the same size tent we have used 3 stoves thus far.

Box stove, wood burner - required frequent feeding with wood. Didn't throw enough heat for that size tent. Would have been better though if we had some higher BTU wood available or if we had added a few lumps of coal.

Pot Belly, coal burner. More heat, less stoking. Still needed too much feeding, dirty, and hauling coal is a nuisance.

Cylinder Stove. Best so far. Flat top surface is very nice to have. Pretty well suited for a wall tent. Still needs frequent stoking with the native soft woods. Way better with higher BTU woods.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
If you are packing in, the constant rubbing of the edges of metal can prematurely wear outpanniers, mantises, and gear ( as in the tent or sleeping bags. The roundness and lack of edge or fold up stoves help allieviarte that.

When truck camping a propane space heater or cooker one or two burner really get the edge off quick. In the mornings. So also does brought in hardwood or coal to keep longer fires. A damper is very helpful, and so is insulating the roof area with a layer of cloth or flannel, or high tech " foil cloth".

Thicker the steel, the tighter the box the longer she burns, but less instant heat one gets. I always put dirt in the bottom of the stove to in hopes of prolonging the life of the fire boxes bottom.

There is a propane chimney stove called a Nu Wave that works great in warmer weather and smaller tents. But a wood fire in a Wall Tent is big medicine for the soul IMO.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have a 16X20 Wall Tent that we used a square wood stove to heat for several years. Then three years ago, we decided to try two Large Mr. Buddy's. The ones made for tents. We left the vents open in the tent to prevent moisture and were shocked at how warm those heaters kept us. We turned them down low at night just to be able to sleep and we don't have to get up throughout the night to stoke the fire. Turn them on high in the morning and in five minutes the tent was again very comfortable. You may want to consider bringing a propane heater as a back-up to see how it works in your size tent. BTW, I showed this method to an outfitter in Colorado and they now use them for back-up heat for their tent hunters.

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Angus1895
If you are packing in, the constant rubbing of the edges of metal can prematurely wear outpanniers, mantises, and gear ( as in the tent or sleeping bags. The roundness and lack of edge or fold up stoves help allieviate that. .

The Sims fold up stove I have came with a heavy duty canvas covering type bag Size wise it fit nicely into a canvas pannier. It heated a 12 x 15 wall tent great. The addition of dirt, plus when the ashes build up more , they get a longer burn.

http://simsstoves.com/stoveSportsman.html

Last edited by saddlesore; 07/18/17.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
702 members (160user, 12344mag, 21, 12308300, 17CalFan, 16Racing, 68 invisible), 2,711 guests, and 1,284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,621
Posts18,398,580
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.