Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Gents:

We hear/know how tough the 120-gr. NBT .284 is, but I was wondering what your experiences are with the Sierra Pro Hunter in the same weight. I'm looking for an inexpensive lightweight bullet to push at medium velocities for field practice and use on Florida whitetails (and pigs, of course). Is the Pro Hunter as stoutly built as the Ballistic Tip?

Thanks.

RM

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
BP-B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
No, but it might work well at moderate velocities.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I usually shoot Sierra Pro Hunter 140s in my 7mm08. They have worked well on Missouri white tails and one Wyoming antelope. But, the largest Missouri buck I've taken was with a Sierra 120 Pro Hunter at a MV of 2795fps. Shot was at about 150 yards. Entrance on right side, tight behind the shoulder. Passed between ribs on entry and broke a rib on exit. Deer ran about 40-50 yards, pretty normal. There was some bloody gel under both shoulders, more on entry side, but very little wasted meat. I have not used the 120 BT but years ago did kill one deer with a 140BT. That bullet came apart and only a few pieces exited. The 120 may be tough but the 140 wasn't. I know they have supposedly been changed but I'm not going back to find out when Sierras work so well. Also had poor results with a 270 130 BT.

A year or two prior to shooting the buck with the 120 PH, I shot a large doe at almost the exact same spot with a 140 PH doing 2735 MV. Deer ran the customary 40-50 yards but that bullet broke ribs going in and out. No mention of gelling on that one. I keep notes on all kills. I'd guess that the 120 opens up a little faster than the 140. They are both very accurate.

I've never shot a pig so can't say if they are tougher than deer or not.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Used a 120gr Pro Hunter in 6.5 out of a T3 Swede as my go to bullet at a max load of RL19 after seeing a 120lb WTail doe fold up like an accordian - nose to butt - mid stride at about 125+ yards. Impact was at the top of the crease on a slight down angle from about 50'-60' higher than she was, and the bullet was recovered at full expansion and intact at about 1/2-3/4''s high still in the inside of the off side ball joint. Fastest DRT I've ever had. Looked like the hand of Thor went ZAP and slapped her straight down folded in half.
Ron

TIME FOR TERM LIMITS !!!! Politicians are just like diapers, they need to be changed often and regularly for the same reason...Robin Williams.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
AnsonRogers,

I don't really blame you for not trying Ballistic Tips again after the first fragile models, but among other examples I've seen the 120 BT, started at over 3000 from a 7mm-08, enter the left rear of the ribs on a big whitetail buck standing angling away, and end up under the hide of the opposite shoulder, after breaking the shoulder.

Have also seen the 140 from a 7x57 make basically the same shot on a pronghorn buck at about 150 yards, except for also catching part of the spine--and exit. That was in 1995. It didn't take long for Nosler to toughen them up.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My experience the 120 7mm tend to be a bit explosive. They killed everything they hit, but left a bit of a mess. In 7mm08 and 7x57AI

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by WV_Airedale
My experience the 120 7mm tend to be a bit explosive. They killed everything they hit, but left a bit of a mess. In 7mm08 and 7x57AI

Any idea of the velocity? I plan to push them at less than 2800 fps.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Saw a hunter use the 120 ProHunter from a 7-08 at moderate speed on a buck that was just shy of 200# on the scales at a distance of under 100 yards.

It was facing the hunter, but at a slight angle, not quite quartering.

The bullet impacted just forward of the front edge of the leg, but did not penetrate through the rib cage.

Instead, it tracked along the exterior of the rib cage and under the front leg exiting behind the leg.

The deer bled out after running about 100 yards and hiding in the thickest thorn brush imaginable.

We had to call a dog to find it, which it did.

The experience caused the man to quit hunting which was a shame.

As for Ballistic Tips, they have produced more tracking jobs I've been involved in than all other bullets added together, especially on pigs.

Would suggest trying the 120 or 140 grain TTSX at full power instead, or Partitions if that is the preference.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
No idea Mike but I can make a comment on the 140 gr. BT. It was one of the early ones that cost me a deer and my right knee. I suppose the knee was my fault as I tried hurrying up the ridge to look down into the gully the deer ran into. The hit was well placed but the bullet blew up on a rib making an ugly and most likely shallow wound. Velocity was a chronographed 2800 FPS.
I believe that the early 140 gr. BT that come in 100 bullet boxes had the stiffer jackets when Nosler changed to 50 bullet boxes for the BTs. I have yet to try the newer version of the 140 BT in my 7x57.
Right now, I'm trying to get the 150 gr. 7MM ABLR to shoot in one of my 7x57s and in a .280 Rem. but so far no cooperation. Also have a series loaded up to try the 160 gr. Gram Slams once the weather cooperates. It's our rainy (monsoon) season and the range is a boggy mud hole.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
120 BT's from my 7-08, 3000ish fps, accounted for a literal truckload of whitetail doe culls one weekend....17 in fact. Every single bullet exited, mostly neck shots.

[Linked Image]

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by jeffbird
Saw a hunter use the 120 ProHunter from a 7-08 at moderate speed on a buck that was just shy of 200# on the scales at a distance of under 100 yards.

It was facing the hunter, but at a slight angle, not quite quartering.

The bullet impacted just forward of the front edge of the leg, but did not penetrate through the rib cage.

Instead, it tracked along the exterior of the rib cage and under the front leg exiting behind the leg.

I've seen similar hits/results at my camp, and not with 120 grain 7mm Sierras. Get that angle just right (just wrong?) and it can happen.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
As for Ballistic Tips, they have produced more tracking jobs I've been involved in than all other bullets added together, especially on pigs.

This is contrary to my experience on deer and pigs, primarily with 150 grain Ballistic Tips launched by a 308.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
mm,

the worst example that sticks in my mind especially was a hunter with a 25-06 with BT handloads. He wounded lots of deer and pigs in two separate trips. I watched him shoot a pig just below the ear at about 50 yards. The pig was stunned enough that we could walk up before it ran. The wound looked like someone scooped out a chunk with an ice cream scoop. Had to finish the pig with a pistol. The other I remember was a young guy with a 7 Wby who used BT's and ended up calling for a tracking dog more than once.

The 25-06 hunter changed to a 308 with 175 SMK's and 168 Amaxes and the results improved to no more wounded animals.

As mentioned, the TTSX is my go to choice now, but Partitions are effective too. Maybe the BT's are better now and deserve another chance, but the TTSX's have worked so well and do not tear up lots of meat, so going to stick with them.

The best deer hunter and shot I have ever known used a 7-08 with 140 Pro Hunters over Varget. He shot over 100 deer a year most years off of management permits. He lost a couple through the years, but only a couple.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
mm,

the worst example that sticks in my mind especially was a hunter with a 25-06 with BT handloads. He wounded lots of deer and pigs in two separate trips. I watched him shoot a pig just below the ear at about 50 yards. The pig was stunned enough that we could walk up before it ran. The wound looked like someone scooped out a chunk with an ice cream scoop. Had to finish the pig with a pistol. The other I remember was a young guy with a 7 Wby who used BT's and ended up calling for a tracking dog more than once.

The 25-06 hunter changed to a 308 with 175 SMK's and 168 Amaxes and the results improved to no more wounded animals.

As mentioned, the TTSX is my go to choice now, but Partitions are effective too. Maybe the BT's are better now and deserve another chance, but the TTSX's have worked so well and do not tear up lots of meat, so going to stick with them.

The best deer hunter and shot I have ever known used a 7-08 with 140 Pro Hunters over Varget. He shot over 100 deer a year most years off of management permits. He lost a couple through the years, but only a couple.

Same thing happened to me a number of years back. Shot 4 hogs, 200# to 80# one evening. All head shot between 150 and 200 yds, 300 Win Mag, 180 NBT (old version). Killed them but the entrance wounds looked like Claymores got'em. You could see teeth and other structues on all four.

Newer NBT's do better, but I had changed to 180 NAB's in that gun and they did OK.

I liked the NBT/NAB set up, both bullets with same B.C.s, same POI. I could swap back and forth depending use. The NBTs were a hair more accurate than the NAB's, at least for me in that gun.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by JGRaider
120 BT's from my 7-08, 3000ish fps, accounted for a literal truckload of whitetail doe culls one weekend....17 in fact. Every single bullet exited, mostly neck shots.

[Linked Image]

Hope you had some help at the skiinning shed...

DF

G
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
G
I'm not a gunwriter but I do use the 120gr Nosler BT and 120gr Sierra Pro Hunter in my 7mm08 - both are very accurate but the Sierra is substantially cheaper down here at the bottom of the world.
I have used the Sierra's on Wallabies (quite possibly "overgunned"). They dropped on the spot and the damage was very significant. In the future I plan on using the Sierras for practice and general plinking and the BTs for game (deer, chamois and tahr).

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've only seen a couple deer shot with the 120 Pro Hunter and impact velocity both times was under 2600 fps. Bullet performed perfectly both times and I came away thinking a fella could load them a little hotter and be fine. Personally I'd keep muzzle velocities under 2800 or so and feel very confident. Never saw any pigs shot with it so I'm not sure about that. I have not doubt it'll kill any pig you shoot with it, but it might make a mess if you hit it on the shoulder.

Only a fool would sell an accurate .30-06
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
My wife put three of the 120gr Pro Hunters from her 7mm-08 in an antelope's chest at distances from 200 to 300 yards. You could cover the group with your hand. None of them exited. It was the nastiest wound I have ever seen in over 50 years of hunting.

My daughter used the same load in her 7mm-08 and hit an antelope high in the left front leg at about 250 yards, The bullet fragged and eviscerated the animal without ever entering the body. Hardly had to use a knife to gut it.

The next year I loaded 120gr Ballistic Tips. Bang. Flop.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by RevMike
Gents:

We hear/know how tough the 120-gr. NBT .284 is, but I was wondering what your experiences are with the Sierra Pro Hunter in the same weight. I'm looking for an inexpensive lightweight bullet to push at medium velocities for field practice and use on Florida whitetails (and pigs, of course). Is the Pro Hunter as stoutly built as the Ballistic Tip?

Thanks.

RM

Mike, theres no need to go to anything Sierra makes for hunting bullets as long as any alternatives exist in the world.

Besides, the IS would puke if you put a Sierra in it....

Last edited by ingwe; 07/20/17.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by AnsonRogers

I've never shot a pig so can't say if they are tougher than deer or not.

No doubt they are much tougher. I would say maybe (definitely) tougher than a Black Bear. They have thick rubbery often mud caked hides. The boars have up to a three inch shield of gristle covering the vitals. The heart and lungs are deceptively farther forward than it appears. They will come after you if you botch a shot. Their bones are thick and fatty so don't always shatter when hit. They can have a thick layer of fat and tallow on them. They have an attitude.

That said I don't know what to think about bullet performance anymore. I have had both Sierra's and Noslers go kablooy on me and even though it is usually MD's experience of one it is impossible not to jump to conclusions and damn the lot of them. But I enjoy proving myself wrong and will use both of them in the future. However the BT is the current darling and the SPS tilts the decision in their favor. But I guess when it comes down to it I have reverted back to my Bubba heritage and which ever one is on sale gets the nod.

Will add this though as far as hunting bullets go these are accurate and mo accurate almost a toss up but I would put the Sierra's slightly ahead if I had to chose. I think Kenny Jarrett said this about the BT but same with the Sierra " If a rifle won't shoot well with these it probably isn't going to shoot well with anything."

Last edited by Tejano; 07/20/17.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
667 members (1Akshooter, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 69 invisible), 3,000 guests, and 1,442 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,673
Posts18,399,532
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.