Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
JamesJr Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Okay, I know there's been quite a bit of discussion on here about the quality of today's Marlin rifles. My only experience with a Marlin lever action has been with my old 1960's 336 in 35 Remington. It's a good one, and I like it. I have been thinking about buying a new Marlin 45-70, even though I have zero need for one. So, I have heard it both ways......new Marlins are okay, and I've heard they're not. Which is it? I hate to rehash something that's been talked about, but I'd really like some up to date information. Thanks.

BP-B2

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

Retired cat herder.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Depending on what you're wanting..........

the 18" guide guns are my fav..........either blue or SS

There are plenty out there......too much gun for some shooters.....

Expensive to feed........especially good factory ammo.......

Handloaders can save alot of $$ using cast boolits.......14/Trailboss for plinkers...

Take a look on GunBroker for price ideas....I would look at older pre RemLins...

before late 2009....interested in a 2006 26" Cowboy 45-70 ?

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
My one and only reason for wanting one is that I can buy a new one at a special price of $425-450, depending on the model. Then Marlin has a $100 rebate on the rifles. That doesn't sound like a bad deal, even though I'm probably not going to shoot a grizzly here in Kentucky.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would make sure I could cycle the action both to see how gritty and if it's hanging up any. Run some dummies through if possible. Check wood-to-metal fit, and sights for correct timing, Make sure loading gate is working correctly and just see if anything jumps out at you, finish, stuff like that.

As I understand it, the later-production rifles have improved quite a bit, so chances are you'll get a good one.

They fired everybody that knew how to make a rifle and the new people had to learn how....I think they've begun to get better at it.

I didn't NEED a .45-70 either, but I've enjoyed every minute I've owned one.

IC B2

T
T
Seems like a really good price James. Marlin makes a great lever; my only issue is the lever works kind of rough--am sure a gunsmith can tune it up but it won't come close to the butter smooth Win 71 or the 1886; of course, those are way more expensive. I say go for it--especially at that price!! Also, even though you won't use it for bear, the 45-70 can be used for deer, boar or anything else in the US and most animals anywhere. On my last boar trip, one of the guys (who hunts Africa quite a bit), brought his double rifle--too much gun yes but nice to be able to use it for more than just buff.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by JamesJr
My one and only reason for wanting one is that I can buy a new one at a special price of $425-450, depending on the model. Then Marlin has a $100 rebate on the rifles. That doesn't sound like a bad deal, even though I'm probably not going to shoot a grizzly here in Kentucky.

Sure thats a great deal with the $100 rebate & all......

Would be great if you can buy local & take a good look at the rifle....

Even better have more than one to choose from.....

Once purchased......learn how to pull it down........polish the working innards...

that will help alot.....along with couple hours of cycling the action.....

http://marauder.homestead.com/files/tuning_m_1894.htm

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i haven't been without a 45/70 of one flavor or the other for 50 plus years. usually two or three. the remlins are spotty but having said that i have a gbl right now that is as fine as any JM i have ever had. at that price buy 2.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I'm getting cold feet. First off, the main reason I even considered getting one was because of the price, not because I especially feel the need for one. It's a good deal, though, I think. Secondly, a shoulder surgery and arthritis have left me not wanting to shoot rifles that have any amount of recoil, and I know a lightweight 45-70 would probably kick more than just a little. Lastly, I'd be ordering one, and wouldn't be able to handle it before buying it, so I'd have to take whatever they sent. I have told myself I was going to thin my herd down some, and here I am talking about buying another rifle. I need to talk myself out of this one.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

buy an older ported 18" Guide Gun..........

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tikkanut

buy an older ported 18" Guide Gun..........

I imagine the muzzle blast would be something else, plus I seriously doubt $350 will buy one.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I've been eyeing them up myself, but the older JM ones. Like you, I don't need it, and if you expect anyone here to talk you out of it you've come to the wrong place. Even with a short barrel these are not exactly lightweight. However if you've had shoulder surgery, and I don't know your particular situation, I'm thinking a 45-70 is not the rifle for you, even ported. However if you check out the prices of the older JM models, roughly 2X for a good condition one, than what you're currently looking at, then price may have made the decision for you. Just a couple things to consider.......and no, I'm not trying to talk you out of it. I would never do such a thing at the risk of being banned by the gang here! Because as we all know "need" has nothing to do with rifles. Finally, you can always sell it later if it's not for you and chalk it up to experience.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My 45-70 ported GG is a great deer killer and also will double as a squirrel gun. Some people eat the squirrel brains but there was none to eat in this case. smile

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Please take this the right way, but.......you really need to use enough gun....

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Longhunter_1
My 45-70 ported GG is a great deer killer and also will double as a squirrel gun. Some people eat the squirrel brains but there was none to eat in this case. smile

[Linked Image]

Reminds me of elkhunternm, shooting dem poor little NM jackwabbits with his .460 Wby... shocked

He, too, has a problen with overpenetration... laugh

DF

T
T
LMAO DogsLIfe57. So true, no one will talk you out of buying a rifle here (nor should they). Also agree that hey, you can always sell it--no law says you have to keep them forever. But for shoulder surgery, the 45-70 even with buff bore full house loads is not bad in recoil because the velocity is relatively low compared to a 458 win mag or Lott or 348 wildcats. With that said, 45-70 will take down pretty much anything on the planet--I don't own one since I prefer the Win 71 platform and Alaskan wildcat configurations but ....hey, maybe I do need a 45-70

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My other 45-70 on the right. Model 1895 made in 72

[Linked Image]

T
T
NIce! big knife too!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
NIce! big knife too!

It's a Randall Bushmaster, 4 1/4" blade, with a compass in the butt. Sheath is custom made by Chuck Burrows

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I just bought a brand new 1895 45-70 and the gun is excellent in every way. The $100 rebate makes it even cooler!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
396 members (1lesfox, 300jimmy, 160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 40 invisible), 2,070 guests, and 907 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,594
Posts18,398,004
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.