24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've only owned one 264/6.5mm - a model 700 264 Win Mag back in the late 60's.

If I were to get another of that caliber it would be a 6.5x06 or perhaps 6.5x57 and the 6.5x57 would not be on a short action.

The crede isn't sexy to me. The factory 260's are not either. But if I were to build a 260 it would be on a longer than the "short action" and it would have a faster twist like MD's. But it would be third or fourth choice of the 6.5mm's.

Remington has repeatedly has brought out cartridges with what I feel to slow of rifling twist. Back in the day, it was thought that spinning the bullet faster than needed was detrimental to accuracy. (Those engineers have retired), Remington's 244 vs the 243, the 444, are two cartridges besides the 260 with twists that in my opinion were too slow. Why can't Remington get it straight - bullets are more concentric than they were 75 years ago.

Prhaps what a friend told me is true, the gun loonies no longer work there, they all play golf now.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
BP-B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
If .260s came with 3" actions, 8 twist barrels, I may have ended up with one instead of a Creed.

DF

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
If .260s came with 3" actions, 8 twist barrels, I may have ended up with one instead of a Creed.

DF

The MRC 260 action and mag are 3.125".

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Think "single shot".

What fresh Hell is this?
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by jeffbird
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

DF

The MRC 260 action and mag are 3.125".

Seems they got it right, really right if they went 8 twist.

Remington has a long history of not reading or misreading the market.

DF

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I'm a handloader.. I'm in the 260 camp.... I have little brass that is 260 Rem headstamped, but plenty that is 7/08 or 308 head stamped....

I have a Rem VLS in 260...

a Pair of Ruger Stainless 77 Mk2s... 1 in 8 factory twist...

first thing I did with each one, is seat a dummy round with a 142 grain HP Sierra, magazine length and
took each to the gunsmith and had the chamber reamed out to fit it.

Also have a couple of 6.5 x 55s and a 6.5 x 57, chambered on a long action Model 70, with a heavy magnum
contour barrel.. a 28 inch Pac Nor, with a one in 8 twist on that one...

The Creedmoor does exactly what my other 6.5s do....with no real world increase in performance in my world...

people may consider it obsolete, but those of us who shoot 260s don't think so...

but hey, I don't want to rain on anyone's Creedmoor Parade....

and I don't think I've ever bought a box of 260 ammo....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
I'm hanging on to mine. In 30 years only the really cool people will have one, like owning a 6mm Remington today.

Jim, are there more than the TWO of us w/6mm Rem ? whistle
grin grin

The ONLY. Reason I like the 6 Rem better is the LOOK of the case ! Yrs ago a friend told me the reason I like it better than the 243 is that...
the 6mm looks like a shorter 270 W. It does but I don't think that's all of it ? ?

If you lay/stand a 6mm R, 257 R, & 6.5X55 side X side, they are VERY similar.

Yep, I'm that shallow grin -- just AX my wife wink

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
That would make 3 of us that have a 6mm Rem....

having both 260s and 6mm Rem... does that make one cool?

I'm usually not part of the 'cool' crowd...

I've also got a 6mm Rem necked to 6.5 mm.....

and a couple of 260s necked down to 6mm....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I shoot the 260 a wee bit in silhouette competition.

When I wore out the latest 260 barrel, I seriously considered the Creedmoor. Only the fact that I already had 260 comp dies, and enough life left in 400 Lapua brass to wear out the next barrel, made me stick with the 260. I think the Creed is a better design and is absolutely how I would go if starting over.

In a couple years when the latest Pac Nor, and this bunch of brass, is tired I expect to go Creed.

Last edited by RickF; 07/18/17.

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Pappy348 [snip
How did the silhouette shooters deal with the .260's "issues", just single-loading?

Yes, once the hunter class rules were liberalized where a competitor was not required to feed rounds out of a magazine, only have a hunter class rifle capable of feeding from a magazine, then most of them switched over to single loading. In the standard (aka heavy) rifle class, you never had to feed out of a magazine, so they mostly all single loaded from the start. The other big change in the last several years has been the movement from the 308 family of cartridges (ie, 308, 7mm-08, 260) to shorter/smaller rounds like the 6.5x47 Lapua, the 260 Bobcat (aka 6.5x250 Sav), the 6.5 Creedmoor, and now the 6mm BR with fast twist barrels to handle the long & 'heavy' 6mm match bullets.

Pursuit may be, it seems to me, perfect without possession.
Robert Kelley Weeks (1840-1876)
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Creed will end up putting more than just the .260 in the grave when all is said and done.

A .260 and 147 ELD's is an awesome combo though.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Higbean; 07/18/17.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
As much as I like it, I'm not convinced that the 6.5 Creedmoor is going to be a mainstream hunting cartridge, because REM/WIN haven't shown a commitment to it by cataloging it in their most popular bolt action hunting rifles. Also, most of the current 6.5 Creedmoor factory ammo is geared toward long range hunting and target shooting, not, at least IMO, toward the average one box of ammo per year deer hunter.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Hornady offers their inexpensive American Whitetail loaded with 129 gr. Interlocks which is about as perfectly deer oriented as you can get. A quick glance at Midway shows something like 16 out of 27 Creedmoor offerings being hunting ammo. How many types of ammo does the one box a year deer hunter want?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
As much as I like it, I'm not convinced that the 6.5 Creedmoor is going to be a mainstream hunting cartridge, because REM/WIN haven't shown a commitment to it by cataloging it in their most popular bolt action hunting rifles. Also, most of the current 6.5 Creedmoor factory ammo is geared toward long range hunting and target shooting, not, at least IMO, toward the average one box of ammo per year deer hunter.

I don't think you could be more wrong. I have no dog in the fight, not even owning a Creedmoor, but I'd bet its popularity will only gain momentum.

Remington has already announced they will be chambering their affordable 700 SPS in 6.5 Creedmoor.

BACO will never be a go-to for the average hunter, but i bet they start chambering in the near future. The "Extreme Weather" would be an ideal platform.

Hornady makes a standard 129 Interlock load... for $20 a box, I can't imagine what a finer, more affordable whitetail load could be:

http://www.hornady.com/store/6.5-Creedmoor-129-gr.-SP-American-Whitetail/

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1...29-grain-interlock-spire-point-box-of-20

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Remington (Big Green) has made all too many market bloopers.

Hornady, on the other hand, listens to customers, follows up with innovative engineering. By offering excellent factory CM ammo at reasonable prices vs. what Remington and the big boys tend to do, results in their growth and success.

So, Hornady becomes the disruptor and given their market trajectory, they will continue to prosper while some of the big boys change hands, one investment house ownership to the next. Bean counters in charge is never good for an ammo or gun manufacturer.

Bean counters aren't Loony friendly.

Bill Ruger knew the market, knew the Loony mindset, was a Loony himself, fought with his own bean counters. He was the disruptor to the big boys and look how Ruger ended up with a major market share. Steve Hornady and team are doing a similar thing. More power to them.

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't have one either, but believe that once the word gets around the genpop about how well they kill, without beating you up, they'll catch on. There's a fair amount of churn that results from guys who've had bad results in the field, and a good bit of that is caused by lousy shooting because they're flinching (and don't know it). The classic fix for this is a .243, but a 6.5 is certainly a better all-around rifle.

What fresh Hell is this?
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Jeff,

Remington and Winchester don't dominate the rifle market as they used to.

Major European companies are now chambering rifles for the 6.5 Creedmoor. It's not just starting to become a standard American chambering, but world-wide. Of course, part of the reason is the U.S. being the largest rifle market, but the fact remains that European gun companies have a better idea of what's really going on than many Campfire members. I know this sounds strange, but it's true.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Hahaha!

Now if only they would resurrect the 6.5x54 as a mainstream cartridge...

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Jeff,

Remington and Winchester don't dominate the rifle market as they used to.

Major European companies are now chambering rifles for the 6.5 Creedmoor. It's not just starting to become a standard American chambering, but world-wide. Of course, part of the reason is the U.S. being the largest rifle market, but the fact remains that European gun companies have a better idea of what's really going on than many Campfire members. I know this sounds strange, but it's true.

Despite its usefulness, I don't think that the 6.5 Creedmoor will reach the level of success/distribution in the U.S. that the 223, 243, 270, 7mm REM MAG, 30-30, 308, 30-06, and 300 WIN MAG have.

I can only report on what I see, and I what I see at the range and in gun racks are bolt action rifles from REM/RUG/SAV, lever action rifles from HEN/MAR, and semi-auto ARs. The only 6.5 Creedmoor that I've seen at the range that didn't belong to me was an RPR. I don't see many European rifles, a few Sakos, or Asian rifles, a few Vanguards, here in Nebraska. I travel a bit in the Midwest, Colorado, and in New England and I'm not seeing 6.5 Creedmoor rifles in the new/used racks or factory ammo on the shelf of small/local gun shops in those states either.

I'm not anti-6.5 Creedmoor, I currently have 7 of them and hope to buy a couple of the RAR 16942 style when/if they hit the market. I think that the factory ammo is great and I've shot a couple of whitetails with the 129 grain Hornady American Whitetail factory load from an RAR-P last fall, so I think that I'm doing my fair share to help it along.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

I don't think you could be more wrong. I have no dog in the fight, not even owning a Creedmoor, but I'd bet its popularity will only gain momentum.

Remington has already announced they will be chambering their affordable 700 SPS in 6.5 Creedmoor.

BACO will never be a go-to for the average hunter, but i bet they start chambering in the near future. The "Extreme Weather" would be an ideal platform.

Hornady makes a standard 129 Interlock load... for $20 a box, I can't imagine what a finer, more affordable whitetail load could be:

http://www.hornady.com/store/6.5-Creedmoor-129-gr.-SP-American-Whitetail/

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1...29-grain-interlock-spire-point-box-of-20

Which is why I wrote "most", not "all". I've killed whitetails with the 129 grain American Whitetail ammo and expect to kill some this Fall with the Winchester/Olin 125 grain Deer Season XP, just not sure which rifles I'll decide to carry afield.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
257 members (222Sako, 12344mag, 1Longbow, 160user, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 28 invisible), 1,950 guests, and 895 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,800
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.