Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by smokepole
I've got a .32 that shoots real well, been meaning to get out and do some small game hunting. Only problem is, around here the squirrels up on public land where you can hunt are small and inedible (pine squirrels) and the big fat fox squirrels are all in parks where you can't hunt. Either that or in my back yard stealin' tomatoes.....

I worked up a load in my 36, dead on at 25 yards, don't figure I'll ever shoot more than 75' up a tree for squirrel, don't have my load book handy, but IIRC that little ball is moving out near 1950 fps, gotta keep em in the head I figure.

Trump Won!
BP-B2

K
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
K
All this talk is getting be in the hunting mood! Can't wait for It to cool off a bit! Was 97 yesterday when thunderstorm came thru. Cooled down to 91. Nice and steamy! 😁

Édit! Need to set up lead pot and run some .395 RB's. But a bit warm for that too

Last edited by kaywoodie; 07/18/17.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Yes, KW, let the frosty leaves appear, I'm ready.

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by milespatton
I have seen it all, from a big spray of blood on the ground where they were standing to none for over 100 yards, from shots that look very similar. The problem with the one with the muzzleloader and the round ball is that I was shooting black powder and all I saw was a cloud of smoke. I had no idea which way he went. Lots of tracks on the ground going every which direction, and thick woods. miles

You're supposed to drop to all fours and look under the smoke, don'tcha know?😛

Of course, by the time I get on all fours these days, the meat will have spoiled (unless I just happen to fall on my face).

What fresh Hell is this?
K
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
K
That's why I try to hunt with the boys! That way I got someone to help my gimp azz up!!!

Another thing. Hence my enamoration with shorter rifles now. Arthritis or something tearing up both shoulders, upper arm and back pain. Getting damn hard to hold up a long rifle or even attempt off hand shot. So I cut me a cedar ( ok Ashe juniper) staff with a fork on top, Just the right length for An off hand shot. Kinda like them old rests for a matchlock or arquebus. Also assist the knees and hip!!! And handy for getting back up from kneeling or setting position. I currently do not see any quick off hand shots in my future. I'll just take my time and try to be stealthy! 😂

I'll try to post stick photo shortly. For those that have never seen a stick before.

Founder

WS

IC B2

K
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
K
New stick!

[Linked Image]

Yeah, it's a little bent and crooked, like me. Just right amount of cast off for my off hand shots!😉

Last edited by kaywoodie; 07/18/17.

Founder

WS

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Been packing a stick for a while, just not so long. Got a Kieffer pear that sends up straight shoots after
I prune it. I harvest them for walking sticks and garden stakes. Very sustainable!

What fresh Hell is this?
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Early October 'Zona cow tag on the Mogollon rim, south of Williams. Got some good intel from Fire members, and my AZ hunting pard has been checking them out. I'll let you know how it goes.
John(Dog)

K
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
K
John Dog!!!!

Sounds like a fine hunt in the making!!! Good luck ! And yes, keep us posted!

Founder

WS

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
What are your muzzleloading plans for this season???

Elk? Deer? Squirrel??? I would like to hear!

Last year I had enough preference points to "guarantee" a ML-only deer tag here. With no points remaining, I had only a 12% chance this year but I beat the odds and drew the same tag again. Starting mid November I'll be back out there looking for a deer with my TC Seneca .45.

I've thought about trying to call coyotes and cougars in close enough in brush for a good shot. Haven't done it yet.

.45 isn't legal here for elk so that's out.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
IC B3

K
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Congrats T_O_M!!! And good luck!!!!

Founder

WS

K
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Casted a bunch of .395 and .600 RB yesterday. Need cooler weather now! Hard to see and shoot with sweat running in your eyes! 😁

Founder

WS

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Congrats T_O_M!!! And good luck!!!!

Thanks, and thanks! It's a fun hunt for me. I learned deer hunting in the strip between coastal and inland conditions. Early rifle season was generally too warm and bone dry, then one morning we'd wake up to 45 degrees and inches of rain a day. This is different, it starts 6 weeks later (2 weeks after the regular season ends) and, though most people who draw the tag seem to focus on the low elevation oaks and farmlands, I head high and hunt the bottom of the snow. We never had snow in regular deer season where I hunted. It's something new to me, new things to learn. Then add the black powder single shot aspect ... yeah, I'm a happy camper.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
This December here in Missouri I will be using my Cabela's Hawken rifle in 50 cal. A 385gr HP conical on top of 70gr of fff Goex is my standard hunting load for deer. Last season I got a nice big doe with this set up. Good luck on your hunt.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
K
👍 Excellent 4350!!! Good luck!!!!

Founder

WS

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Gawd yall are making me think i should have never put on the darth vader helmet and gone dark side with an inline🤔had a renegade .50 and a lyman plains pistol in .50, the force is too strong in me from the dark side to come back. I got a crack cocaine addiction to an AR15 right now anyways😂😂😂

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a switch barrel billinghurst with 45 fast twist, 45 roundball and 54 roundball barrels. Also have a 32 on a Allen foundry underhammer action.

I plan on shooting anything I can this year. Probably squirrel and deer. And rabbits.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by renegade50
Gawd yall are making me think i should have never put on the darth vader helmet and gone dark side with an inline🤔had a renegade .50 and a lyman plains pistol in .50, the force is too strong in me from the dark side to come back. I got a crack cocaine addiction to an AR15 right now anyways😂😂😂

Don't sweat it; there is (or should be) room for all under the ML tent. The thing that unites us (or should) is the limitation imposed by using a single shot weapon that loads from the front. The rest is just personal preference and maybe concessions to diminishing eyesight. I use both kinds, and want more.

Have to say however, that there's something about the "hang" of a traditional gun in the hand as you slip through the woods that's matched only by a long- or recurve bow. Ancestral memory?

What fresh Hell is this?
K
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Agree with Pappy. Used what you like. Gotta do what works for You!!! And enjoy!!!!!!!

But main thing Is to get out in the woods!! You really take it for granted until you're in a position where your trips become limited!

Founder

WS

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Agree with Pappy. Used what you like. Gotta do what works for You!!! And enjoy!!!!!!!

But main thing Is to get out in the woods!! You really take it for granted until you're in a position where your trips become limited!

I run a couple patches down my bore and reload my 58 at the conclusion of shooting or hunting, reload it, then run an olive oil patch down the bore, cover the nipple with a leather strap I made for that purpose, the strap of my shooting bag hangs over to cover the muzzle to keep the air out.

Have been doing this for years with my muzzle loaders, took my 58 out before dark last night, picked the nipple, capped it, got a steady rest on the bench and proceeded to hit 3"s high and about an inch left of dead center on my 100 yard gong, that damn rifles just like lunchmeat KW, it's always ready! smile

BTW, this system of loading and storing has never caused any barrel corrosion or rust problems, even with my 8 bore burning 300 grains per shot.

Trump Won!
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
513 members (10gaugeman, 1badf350, 1lessdog, 160user, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 44 invisible), 2,534 guests, and 1,115 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,733
Posts18,400,973
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.