Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Model70Guy
I just completed another cull hunt, this time on fallows and reds. Two shooters, 3 calibers, 7 bullets, 500 animals. Of interest to this thread was the 80 grain TTSX loaded up to 3950 fps in a .257 Weatherby. Not to mince words, a more worthless POS is harder to imagine.

What about the bullet was bad? Failure to expand?

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Tejano
Originally Posted by Enrique
I have a Kaibab hunt this fall and have been researching hippie bullets or if I should stick to ELD-X or ABLR.

Congrats and no wrong choices out of all you mentioned. If deer all of them would be good. If Elk then I might think twice about the ELD-X and ABLR but for longer shots these would shine and probably be fine for up close but with a little more meat damage than the monos.

I agree. I have to add, though, that a friend of mine used the 143ELD-X, out of a 6.5x55Ai, on a big Nebraska cow elk last year with great results. She was shot at under 100 yards, and the bullet exited. It may have been a different story with a shoulder shot, but hard to say.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Skatchewan
Originally Posted by Model70Guy
I just completed another cull hunt, this time on fallows and reds. Two shooters, 3 calibers, 7 bullets, 500 animals. Of interest to this thread was the 80 grain TTSX loaded up to 3950 fps in a .257 Weatherby. Not to mince words, a more worthless POS is harder to imagine.

What about the bullet was bad? Failure to expand?

www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/12177399

Model70guy's response.

DF

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks Dirt

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Surprised about the performance of the 80 gr. TTSX. I always thought the more velocity the better.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Surprised about the performance of the 80 gr. TTSX. I always thought the more velocity the better.

From my experience and reading what Model70guy reports, I don't know if monos, "faster the better" , is an open ended principle.

Intuitively, maybe. But where the rubber meets the road, maybe not.

One poster mentioned needing an S.D. above .20, whereas some of the lighter Barnes mentioned, S.D.s fall below that value.

So, seems to me, too small a mono, driven too fast can have less effective terminal ballistics than one would think.

I doubt Model70guy uses that combo again.

Hypervelocity, low S.D. monos are no longer on my radar.

DF

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

From my experience and reading what Model70guy reports, I don't know if monos, "faster the better" , is an open ended principle.

One poster mentioned needing an S.D. above .20, whereas some of the lighter Barnes mentioned, S.D.s fall below that value.

So, seems to me, too small a mono, driven too fast can have less effective terminal ballistics than one would think.

DF

DF, there are exceptions to every rule. Ive been using a 95 grain TTSX in 6.8spc screaming along at a leisurely 2900 fps....but that particular bullet is designed to open well at 6.8 velocities....and it does grin

Ive got pics if you need them..... wink

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by ingwe

DF

DF, there are exceptions to every rule. Ive been using a 95 grain TTSX in 6.8spc screaming along at a leisurely 2900 fps....but that particular bullet is designed to open well at 6.8 velocities....and it does grin

Ive got pics if you need them..... wink

I believe you, have also seen TTSX's open and perform well.

I think we're seeing light weight, low S.D. monos driven at warp speed not delivering effective/efficient terminal performance, may have reached their point of diminishing returns.

3,900 fps is way different than 2,900 fps, opens a whole new can of worms....

DF

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

DF

True...Ive never driven any of them that fast......

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by ingwe

DF

True...Ive never driven any of them that fast......

I think excessive speed combined with low S.D. monos can reach a point of diminishing returns, disappointing terminal ballistics.

Where that break point occurs, I don't know. But I do think there is a point out there; I just don't want to find it.

And, I do like and use E-Tip, TTSX and TSX bullets.

Again, IMO balance is important, matching bullets and velocity for optimal terminal ballistic performance.

DF

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
If some think velocity doesn't matter, Read Ross Seyfried's impressions on the reaction of Cape Buffalo to a 400gr bullet at 2350 fps v one at 2700....

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I've read those reports by Ross.

Velocity does matter, the 400 gr. bullet can take it.

The shooter is the weak link... blush

DF

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
GMX and ETIPS do more damage than a TTSX because they have more frontal area when expanded.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BWalker
GMX and ETIPS do more damage than a TTSX because they have more frontal area when expanded.

How do you figure that for the E-Tips? Nosler expects them to open into an 'X' pattern like the Barnes bullets. The difference in frontal area of the expanded bullets is probably so little as to be of little or no consequence.

And the Hornady video shows less frontal area than an expanded TTSX.

Just curious.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I've used them both, don't see a lot of difference.

DF

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Originally Posted by BWalker

How do you figure that for the E-Tips? Nosler expects them to open into an 'X' pattern like the Barnes bullets. The difference in frontal area of the expanded bullets is probably so little as to be of little or no consequence.

And the Hornady video shows less frontal area than an expanded TTSX.

Just curious.

Because I have actually shot them. The e tip and the gmx expanded form looks more like a traditional mushroom than a ttsx. The nose cavity seems to be deeper vs the ttsx as well.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
If TTSXs were to walk on water, some would say, yeah, that's because they can't swim...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Does anyone think Model 70 guy's experience with the 80 grain ttsx in the .257 bee would have been very different with a 100 gr TTSX? I have not seen this mentioned in either thread.

Has anyone tried both the 80 and 100 with differing results?

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jorgeI
If TTSXs were to walk on water, some would say, yeah, that's because they can't swim...

Funny! My dad use to ask me if I wanted a canary that could sing and dance too?

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by jorgeI

I use them because I want to use lead free bullets due to fear of exposing my kids to lead.
The TTSX are the least bitchy of all the monos I have tried. However, I am not a true believer and admit that they have some short comings. The true believers can't wrap their minds around this. If it were not for my paranoia in regards to lead I would never bother with them as a plain Jane ballistic tip kills better.

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (11point, 160user, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 53 invisible), 2,993 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,352
Posts18,468,867
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.