24hourcampfire.com
24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Not an experienced hunter, but my favorite general purpose blade would be the Shanghai warrior by cold steel. The SK-5 steel blade is very corrosion resistant and can take tons of abuse without becoming dull, and it's wide and over 9" long so if you stab a game animal and twist it will create a massive wound channel, suitable for bringing down boars and in case you get attacked by a large predator. Planning on using it if I go hog hunting with dogs.

Last edited by BlackHound; 07/26/17.
BP-B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by BlackHound
Not an experienced hunter, but my favorite general purpose blade would be the Shanghai warrior by cold steel. The SK-5 steel blade is very corrosion resistant and can take tons of abuse without becoming dull, and it's wide and over 9" long so if you stab a game animal and twist it will create a massive wound channel, suitable for bringing down boars and in case you get attacked by a large predator. Planning on using it if I go hog hunting with dogs.

Seems a bit broad from a pig sticker, but I guess it would work.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I must say I used an outdoor edge change a blade knife on a pig this past winter. I think the blades are thicker than the havalon blades that folks say with break and get lost in the meat. Makes going through dirty hog hide easy. Peeled it out and then. CHanged the blade for deboning.

The newest knives are $20 for the folding handle.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by RipSnort
I know many of you have too many "favorite" knives to pick a true favorite but if you narrow the task down, what would be your pick of the knives you have?

Best knife you have for gutting a deer in the field?

Best knife you have for skinning a deer in the field or back at camp/home?

Best knife you have for breaking down/deboning a deer at camp/home?

And your favorite all-around deer knife, if you have one?

Thanks, RS

I'm not real picky. I usually use 2 knives, an inside knife and an outside knife. The outside knife gets used for throat cutting and belly opening. The small knife gets used for skinning and cutting loose the anus, then going inside to finish that and cut around the diaphragm. After that, because cutting the throat has let the very front end loose already, I just reach up into the heart / lung area, grab around the wind pipe, and tear everything back, down, and out. It's slow, a bit of strain, but it comes loose. After the wind pipe comes loose and slaps me across the face smile I tip the belly down, pour any blood out of the cavity, and let it drain while I cut loose heart and liver from the guts. (Those are for my father, I don't eat them myself anymore. I used to like liver but it's become an un-acquired taste.) Little knife gets put away. Big knife gets used for skinning, then cutting the lower legs loose from the upper, and quartering if necessary.

My little knife, for the past couple decades, has been a medium Gerber LST. Anything with a sharp 1.5 to 2.25 inch blade is fine. Bigger is ok but the odds go up of cutting guts as you work on the diaphragm.

My bigger knife varies. I've used a Buck General ... great knife but the longer the blade, the stronger your wrists have to be to manage it with finesse. I've used a Gerber first generation LMF quite a bit. Today my two favorites are a Gerber magnum LST which I like if I want to save weight or have a folding knife, and Buck Vanguard with the rubber handle if I want a fixed blade.

I have other knives, large and small, but mostly they stay in a "tool" sack in the truck in case I need a spare, these are the ones that go to the woods.

The funniest "knife" I've seen was one my father made on-site. He screwed up and somehow left his knives home so after he shot his buck, he beat the empty cartridge flat with a couple rocks, somehow managed to tear a jagged sharp spot on it, and managed to use that to gut the deer.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
geedubya
I love the look of the resin filled canvas on that one knife.
Elegant!

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Sweet Jesus.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deflave

Sweet Jesus.

Dave

Well...uh... yeah. smile

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
A Buck 110, and a Havalon Torch have worked well for me.The Torch uses the slightly thicker 60a blades that are less prone to breaking. I keep a cheap pair of forceps with it to change the blades. Even the "dull' blades will slit you badly if you're not careful

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Prefer a fixed blade, keep one in my pack (and one in truck). No belt carry.
4 and 5 inch blades.
The short one usually does the field dressing.

Last edited by hookeye; 07/31/17.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by MOGC
Originally Posted by deflave

Sweet Jesus.

Dave

Well...uh... yeah. smile

Maybe he is envisioning leaping upon a deer and tearing it to pieces in a flurry of adrenaline fuelled activity?

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Hard to beat a 3.5" to 4" drop point for everything till on the butcher block.

Does the opening, splitting, slitting, severing, coring, skinning and quartering.
Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Three from Tim!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

the mud, the blood and the beer!

[Linked Image]

but knives as well as meat can be cleaned up!

[Linked Image]

and their is usually a new cold one in the cooler!

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
[Linked Image]

That buffalo handled blade is particularly interesting.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
A lot of knives I use don't get much airplay, but that is lemon juice etched 5100 steel with guard.

[Linked Image]

BTW, it is sharp!

[Linked Image]

another boar, another set of cajones!

[Linked Image]

chores done!

[Linked Image]

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Good looking stuff there, knives, beer and food...

Molon Labe
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm leaning toward carrying the M-48 Cyclone this year. A tang mounted bearing would make it perfect. The dozen or so occasions where I've arrived at my stand realizing I'd forgotten my rifle motivates a change in gear selection strategy. Having a mere six weeks to develop my palms before the season isn't ideal, but I'm gonna give it my all. According to the internet, blood and urine make the best callouses.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
geedubya how do you get rid of the boar hog stink to eat them? the ones in ne fla smell so bad cyote & buzzards dont eat them

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Please God let that be a joke.

Clark

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
My favorite right now.

Menefee Bigger Better Boner:

[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I think what sold me was, "The wound is totally same like from the crossbow hunting tip." That and I won a free one. The long range throwing demo at the end was also pretty hard to ignore.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
707 members (10gaugemag, 257 roberts, 222Sako, 222ND, 16penny, 160user, 77 invisible), 2,734 guests, and 1,354 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,626
Posts18,398,718
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.