Print Thread
Hop To
M
mod7rem Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I've always used water shoes or sandles for crossing creeks but it is very time consuming. I'm looking for opinions from people that have used these waders. Are they a better option than shoes or sandles? Thanks.

GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
They are fast if you put them over your boots. We used one pair for 2 guys on a hunt in the brooks that had a lot of stream crossings. Put a rock in them and throw them back across for the other guy to use. That got a bit sporty at times, but it did work.

They had holes by the end of the trip, but nothing serious. Probably 16 crossings for the round trip, X 2 people.

They don't go up really high, and (at that time anyway) don't have a way to tie them up. If you can make the water shoes work, that is a good option, but it all depends on frequency of crossing, water temps, depth, etc. When you are looking at the glacier whose melt is creating the river, staying dry can bump up a couple notches in priority.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I took a pair on a hunt in the Wrangells several years ago and they had holes in them after two river crossings.

I have a pair of the NEOs over the boot hippers from Barney's and they work well but are a bit heavy. You wouldn't want to walk far in them but they will stand up to some abuse.

I tried Koflach and glacier socks years ago but the boots killed my feet so dealt with leather boots and water crossings for a long time and the NEOs were the best I found. I'd burn the money before I bought another pair of wiggy waders..

Now I again use Koflach with glacier socks. The newer Koflach degrees are a little "softer"than the ones I had years ago and don't kill my feet on approaches.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've used them on several sheep hunts. Shared between people usually. Like CWH2 the rock in the bottom works pretty well. As does the javelin/trekking pole...I am more accurate with that. smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm going to use a pair of Crocs the next time I do a mountain hunt that requires lots of stream crossings, they are lightweight and offer decent support while crossing.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
We use these for around $15. Yes, they do get small holes with many crossings. I just silicone glue the small holes when we get home, inside and out.

Hodgman Gamewade Packable Hip Wader

I have Wiggy's too, they are a step up in quality and price.

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

Note to self: Never ask an old Fogey how he is doing today.
Revised note to self: Keep it short when someone asks how I am doing.

M
mod7rem Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks for the replies. The main reason I ask is because I find using separate shoes so time consuming. If we have multiple crossings that are closely spaced enough then we leave the shoes on in between the crossings, but that gets a little risky for foot support carrying heavy packs and risks of blisters with wet shoes. The crossings are always icy and painful but the worst part for me is the time that gets eaten up taking off pack, taking off boots & socks, removing pants or pant legs, secure everything so you don't lose them during the crossing, then remove cold wet shoes, try to dry feet (hopefully it's not raining or too cold and hopefully not borderline hypothermic from the crossing), then reverse the whole process. I know you've all been through the same routine so I'm not telling you anything new. Just wondering if the waders thing is the solution or better in theory than it is in reality.
It seems like lots have used the wiggys but not many continue to use them. Thanks again guys.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by MIKEWERNER
We use these for around $15. Yes, they do get small holes with many crossings. I just silicone glue the small holes when we get home, inside and out.

Is this prick still around here?

SUCKS.

kd

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Unlike some, don't hide my name or my location. I'll listen harder for that knock on the door.

Originally Posted by kududude
Originally Posted by MIKEWERNER

Is this prick still around here?

SUCKS.

kd

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

Note to self: Never ask an old Fogey how he is doing today.
Revised note to self: Keep it short when someone asks how I am doing.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

80 members (35, 7mm_Loco, 257robertsimp, Akhutr, 12 invisible), 1,362 guests, and 820 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,060
Posts18,463,252
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.