24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I picked up a Savage model 111 in 243 for a song today. Its like new ,but the Trigger pull is just terrible. It feels like the safety is on. What after market trigger do you guys suggest or have had experience with .Thank you

BP-B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
Depending on how old the rifle is, it may have a trigger that is easy to work over. The three screw trigger is weill known for ease of modification. If it has a set screw under the sear engagement, the depth can be set and a smaller diameter round wire can be installed. My old Savages have pulls of about 2.75 to 3.0 pounds. If it is the later model, a smith can get a got pull for about half the price of a new Timney or Rifle Basix trigger.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by LeonHitchcox
Depending on how old the rifle is, it may have a trigger that is easy to work over. The three screw trigger is weill known for ease of modification. If it has a set screw under the sear engagement, the depth can be set and a smaller diameter round wire can be installed. My old Savages have pulls of about 2.75 to 3.0 pounds. If it is the later model, a smith can get a got pull for about half the price of a new Timney or Rifle Basix trigger.

+1

Do some searching on youtube and other sites. The old style spring has some adjustment but the wire is really stiff and can't be adjusted light enough. I used an old spinner bait wire for my trigger spring. It works much better. Hobby stores also sell the music/piano wire in 12" pieces.

We all know advertising works, we just don’t think it works on US!
L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
I found spinner bait wire a bit small. My go to was buzz bait wire. I got several blank wires from a tackle shop and did a bunch of triggers before the AccuTrigger came out.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I've got a Rifle Basix in my Steven 200. It's got just the tiniest amount of creep but otherwise it's a great trigger.
My 300wm is an old Savage 3 screw trigger and it sucks! I've not tried to adjust it in anyway. I've thought about getting another Rifle Basix but haven't gone and done it yet. I really need to do something soon. It would make shooting that rifle a whole lot easier.

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
Snake, have you done the spring mod and adjusted the screw under the sear notch? I have yet to see a 3-screw trigger that couldn't be tuned to at least 3#.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 1Longbow
I picked up a Savage model 111 in 243 for a song today. Its like new ,but the Trigger pull is just terrible. It feels like the safety is on. What after market trigger do you guys suggest or have had experience with .Thank you

I bought a used 111 like new still in the box and the trigger was as bad as you describe. I was going to buy another trigger and have had good luck with Timney and Rifle Basix, but decided to try to adjust it. I looked online till I found a trigger that looked like it with instructions on how to adjust. The sample was another model of Savage but the trigger was the same. I fiddled with it and though it worked fine, I did not trust it when I got it down to where I like a rifle, so eased it back up to a little harder pull, I'd guess 3.5 to 4. The creep is almost all gone and it acceptable for the hunting I do with it, vastly better than when I got it.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I haven't touched it. I know by looking at it there is adjustment available but I've never messed with it. Never heard of spring mods.

Stupidity is expensive
L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L

Last edited by LeonHitchcox; 07/20/17.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
OK Leon!
I read that and I'll give it a try the first chance I get. I'm going to have to make it soon though. It's already mid July and elk season starts in September.
Any instruction on the spring?
I'll be going to Idaho Falls this afternoon and I'm going to try and pick up the Piano wire while I'm there. I've seen it in the hobby stores in the past.
The article says 40 or 45 thousandths, is one better than the other?

Stupidity is expensive
IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
I found that buzz bait wire (about .041) is perfect. You can get a $1 buzz bait at Walmart and cut it into two usable wires. Just match the factory wire length and angle. The buzz bait wire has the bend already there if you cut in the right spot. Just make sure you have enough tension on the wire to avoid an accidental discharge by using the bump test. If you have the set screw under the sear shelf, turn it in a bit and try it. Use some type of thread locker after making a change. I use clear fingernail polish. It is cheap and holds well. Good luck.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by Snake River Marksman
The article says 40 or 45 thousandths, is one better than the other?

Depends on how light you want to go. Some of those guys over on my site think every rifle needs a sub one-pound for some reason - like a lighter trigger is going to magically make up for their lack of proper marksmanship skills.

Here's what I've found with my own experience:

1 Screw Triggers - Can usually get down to around 3.5-4 pounds safely by just adjusting the tension screw on the side that holds the wire. Changing the wire to the 0.040" will let you drop it down to around 1.5-2 pounds.
3 Screw Triggers - these you can usually get down to around 2.5-3 pounds safely as delivered, and down to a pound or less with the wire swap.

It can and will vary of course from rifle to rifle depending on when it was made and tolerances in the parts. The older 110's (mid 1970's and earlier) seemed to be held to much better tolerances than those made later on.

As for aftermarket triggers, I have always preferred the shape and feel of the Sharp Shooter Trigger, but talking with Fred a few weeks ago it sounds like the batch he's currently working on for a Brownells order will be his last run as the demand for them isn't there anymore and he doesn't have the time to do them and still keep up with all the gunsmithing work and stock orders. I've used the Rifle Basix Sav1 and Timney triggers in different rifles and can't complain about either product. Others have reported that the RB Sav2 can be very finicky if you're trying to go really low, but I've never used one myself.

As long as there's still lead in the air, there's still hope!

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Also, make note that the set screw for the wire has two slots in a cross on the top where the wire sites so you have to make adjustments 1/4 turn at a time.

As long as there's still lead in the air, there's still hope!

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
While in Idaho Falls yesterday, I picked up a package of .047 piano wire for $1.00 at Hobby Lobby. They didn't have .040 and I figured the .025 they did have was going to be a bit thin. LOL
I also picked up a wire lure at Walmart for $1.00. Truth to tell, I don't know a buzz bait from a spinner bait.

I'll try various things and see what works best.

Report to follow.

Thanks all.

Stupidity is expensive
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Bing says I got a spinner bait. Oh well.

Stupidity is expensive
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I machined a little off the hump, fulcrum, to reduce the bend on the spring. That gave me more adjustment, be sure not to set too light.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
770 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugeman, 02bfishn, 85 invisible), 2,891 guests, and 1,236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,704
Posts18,400,064
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.