Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Z
Zengela Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Z
I will be most likely going to Zimbabwe very late season next year to take advantage of some leftover season tags. Not a true "American" style safari where you book for 10 days for a buff, leopard or whatever. Gonna get together with my buddy, a young new starting out full licenced PH. We will load up the Land Cruiser and head out for??? A few weeks or so. Camping, fishing in Kariba Lake. Maybe some last second score on PAC animals? Anyways, I'm bringing over a few rifles for him(done it before,its legal) and I wanna give his new bride a gift. A plains game hunting rifle suitable for her and I know he will use it as a client loaner rifle. Any thoughts? Now remember that ammo availability is Paramount!!! I'm thinking 243,6.5x55,7x57,7-08. Bolt gun, maybe a new Howa or an existing Mauser sporter. It has to be: Tough, reliable built for the life of a Zimbabwe hunter. And economical. Not getting her a Pre -64!!!

GB1

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
CZ 550 7x57 Mauser

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
A Model 70 Zastava Mauser in 7x57 would do nicely, I would think.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
It worked for me...can`t get more classic.

Z
Zengela Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Z
Originally Posted by sharpsguy
A Model 70 Zastava Mauser in 7x57 would do nicely, I would think.

Appears that Zastava doesn't have a M70 7x57 in America at this time. Will continue to look of course, they do import the 7-08.the CZ 550 is of course a great choice.

IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Ammunition acquisition is a real problem in Zim. There is reasonably well equipped gun store in Harare that stocks the more common calibers. As you know, he (or she) must have the rifle licensed in their name, which is not a big deal, especially for a PH. However, it is illegal to possess ammunition unless you have a registered, licensed rifle in that caliber.

If she can handle a .30/06, that would be my recommendation. It is a common caliber in terms of what clients bring, and while technically illegal, many clients will leave ammunition behind as an extra "thank you" to the PH.

I have never seen a 7-08 in Zim, but it is not uncommon in Namibia. You would have to check. I have a PH friend in Namibia whose son is deadly on Gemsbok culls with his suppressed 7-08.

I own a 7x57 and enjoy it a great deal. That said, it is not easy to find decent 7x57 ammunition in the USA. Don't know what the availability of 7x57 ammunition is in Zim.

The ideal situation would be if your PH handloads. You could bring the 7x57 and 100 rounds of ammunition (Norma 156 grain bonded Oryx) and a set of dies and that would serve her for a long time. The cases could be reloaded and that would keep her in shooting fodder for years. Ditto for the 7-08. Remember there is an airline limit of 5 kilos when flying with ammunition.

A Model 70 featherweight would be a good choice. The CZ550 is well understood in Africa, but I find it a bit heavy in the lighter calibers and sometimes they need a bit of action work to smooth them up. It is, however, quite rugged. There was a post recently here on the 'Fire that a dealer was selling Sako 85's for around $970.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Lady I know recently purchased a .308 Win Weatherby Camilla.

My goodness! It shoots well, and more importantly, she shoots it well. Men and women are built a bit differently as you may have noticed, and the Camilla was specifically designed for women, on a Vanguard action. Great little rifle that shoots well and handles great.

FWIW, Guy

Z
Zengela Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Z
Like I said a gun for her(never met her don't even know if she hunts!). But, being the wife of a Zm PH?? That would undoubtedly also be used as a loaner rifle. Now boys, my thinking is this..... If he has to loan a rifle, I would be most likely to a person that:
1. Does not own a rifle and therefore is recoil shy.
2. Luggage FU by the airlines and he/she must make do.
3. Will be a real truck gun.
4. Last ele hunt we did he did not reload, but wanted to start.
5. I know for a fact he likes the 30-06. They used one while I was there. Get this, Military FMJ on crocs.
6.hell, he may sell it for all I know.
I was figuring on bringing dies and bullets in checked luggage. Doesn't go against my 5 kilo.
And if you can't handle a '06 or 270 maybe you shouldn't be hunting in Africa?
I have never,never ever seen a 308 bolt gun in Zim. Yes in Namibia. Maybe modern military calibers are illegal?

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
7x64 Brenneke in a CZ 550 Lux.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
TELL HIM that you're bringing a gift rifle. He will tell you what he (and she) can use, and what will be best for them. Otherwise, it's just going to be sold at a loss.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
IC B3

Z
Zengela Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Z
Originally Posted by czech1022
TELL HIM that you're bringing a gift rifle. He will tell you what he (and she) can use, and what will be best for them. Otherwise, it's just going to be sold at a loss.

You are right. Just wanting to plan. He is humble. May not say much to me about it.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
308 bolt rifle. Seen lots of them. Locals use military hard ball with points filed to expose hollow. Goes bang. Many FN-FAL type rifles around.
This is for her not a bunch of rifle lovers who live in the US

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
308 bolt rifle

David Tenney [email protected]
US Operations Manager
Trophy Game Safaris
Southern Africa
Tino and Amanda Erasmus
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
An addendum re: Zim rifle requirements:

For the smaller ungulates (Impala, klipspringer, etceteras), the minimum legal bore diameter is 5.56 mm.

For just about everything else (except elephant, hippo and buff), the minimum legal bore diameter is 7mm.

For the big stuff, the minimum legal bore diameter is 9.3 mm and 5,300 joules of energy.

Except for the smaller ungulates, that pretty much rules out a 6.5x55 or a .270 as a "legal" bore diameter, even though they have a fine record as big game cartridges.

If your PH hunts concessions leased from the government, as you know, he must have a government game scout with him to ensure that all hunting laws and regulations are followed. Most game scouts are decent fellows who enjoy the hunt, help out whenever possible and look forward to their tip at the conclusion of the hunt. However, I hunted with one humorless game scout who enforced every rule and regulation to the letter. That's a good reason to use 7mm as a minimum for the rifle you are gifting to your friends.

I say again, for a myriad of reasons, you can't go wrong with a .30/06.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
+1 for 308 bolt rifle

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Another vote for the .308. It's modest muzzle velocities work great with the cup-and-core bullets that are most likely to be used, since those are what are most available (and affordable) in Africa. Being "affordable" isn't just a matter of saving a few dimes over there, since both factory ammo and components cost a LOT more than they do in the U.S. And at typical ranges the .308 works just as well as the .30-06, with noticeably less recoil.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You picked the right calibers. Think about what ammo he can obtain. I love the 6.5 x 55. Have a custom Mauser in that caliber built for my wife. Can ammo be obtained? I handload, but can they? I got a 7 x 57 in RUger #1 for my daughter. Really good choice for her.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Z
Zengela Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Z
^^^^!!!$899.00 screw that. Not worth it.

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
check with your friend about leaving rifles that you will import under your name ... they may question you when it will time to leave (zim customs and police can be good for that) ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

168 members (12344mag, 338rcm, 1eyedmule, 257 mag, 2UP, 300jimmy, 14 invisible), 1,364 guests, and 872 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,061
Posts18,463,278
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.