Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 17 of 31 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 30 31
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
The action on the Fieldcraft is simply bad ass.

The barrels are better because they are twisted properly.

The action screw size thing was the only fault I could find on the one I got to check out.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

not much to bitch about with the rifle, except...

Looking it over more carefully... the guy that came up with the idea of using three different size screws for the trigger guard and action is an idiot! Problems in the field do not get fixed best by having three different hex bits required. When he dies and goes to Hell (a given!) he will spend eternity trying to fix things just two bits short of what he needs! That would absolutely get changed immediately if I get one.

lol.... I remember thinking it was odd as a football bat when I was taking mine apart the first time.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by bwinters

One thing that held me back was a 2 position safety - that doesn't lock the bolt. I have a rifle like that and the bolt handle gets caught on 'stuff' and will come open. A rather inconvenient feature.

This! That was enough to keep me from wanting one.

"An open message for all Democrats; "Look you are nothing and your work is worthless. Anyone who chooses you is detestable."
Isaiah 41:24 (HCSB)

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
The drop at comb is .425" and the heel is .235" measured from the center of the bore.

Negative drop from comb to heel. Thats interesting.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Does anyone know how these stock dimensions compare with the Kimber Montana stock? I had two Kimbers but haven't seen a Fieldcraft in person yet.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Art - a big thanks for the weights and over view. I find them interesting but for now the non-locking bolt is a deal killer. I have a M98 with a non-locking bolt and have bad it spit shells out of the chamber on more then one occasion. Before anyone comments - I do carry a bot chamber when I'm still hunting. It's pretty hard to chamber a round when a Whitetail is 20 yards away......

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Should have searched first….Kimber says the Montana stock drops .43 at comb and .54 at heel. Stilll want to look at FC for real but that helps a bit.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Since it's apparent many prefer to engage in typical Internet speculation, here are a couple more details from my testing of a Fieldcraft .243 over the past month and a half:

1) The "skinny" barrel of the short-action models is stress-relieved twice during manufacture. Contrary to popular opinion, I've found properly stress-relieve barrels to shoot consistently even when hot, no matter the contour. This one did too. During one range session, on a very warm day in late June, I shot two consecutive 4-shot groups with Federal factory ammo, not allowing the barrel to cool between shots or groups. Not only did point of impact remain the same, but both groups measured .7 inch.

2) I also tried nine different handloads, mostly ones that had shot well in other .243's. I did NOT tweak the charge, or bullet seating depth. Instead I just seated bullets a about .02" shy of the lands. Bullets ranged from the 55-grain Cutting Edge Raptor to the 115-grain Berger VLD, and included the 100-grain Nosler Partition. Three-shot groups with EVERY handload went under an inch, with the smallest around half an inch.

3) The stock is made with carbon fibers, and is full-length bedded with pillars.

Some of this could be found out by checking the Barrett website. More details will be included in a RIFLE magazine article that will appear in a couple of months,

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ctsmith
The drop at comb is .425" and the heel is .235" measured from the center of the bore.

Interesting but not uncommon. It keeps your eye right up there. I do have to say the stock is not elegant.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
RBO Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Since it's apparent many prefer to engage in typical Internet speculation, here are a couple more details from my testing of a Fieldcraft .243 over the past month and a half:

1) The "skinny" barrel of the short-action models is stress-relieved twice during manufacture. Contrary to popular opinion, I've found properly stress-relieve barrels to shoot consistently even when hot, no matter the contour. This one did too. During one range session, on a very warm day in late June, I shot two consecutive 4-shot groups with Federal factory ammo, not allowing the barrel to cool between shots or groups. Not only did point of impact remain the same, but both groups measured .7 inch.

2) I also tried nine different handloads, mostly ones that had shot well in other .243's. I did NOT tweak the charge, or bullet seating depth. Instead I just seated bullets a about .02" shy of the lands. Bullets ranged from the 55-grain Cutting Edge Raptor to the 115-grain Berger VLD, and included the 100-grain Nosler Partition. Three-shot groups with EVERY handload went under an inch, with the smallest around half an inch.

3) The stock is made with carbon fibers, and is full-length bedded with pillars.

Some of this could be found out by checking the Barrett website. More details will be included in a RIFLE magazine article that will appear in a couple of months,

With having extensive experience with Nula's, and a bit with the Fieldcraft, after reading some of your posts on the Fieldcraft, would you say it's a good alternative to spending the extra money on a Nula? Aside from the 2 position safety it sounds like a less expensive Nula. I know right now Melvin is swamped with orders and having a hard time keeping up because of issues with his staff, Forbes Rifles Inc is shut down, it's great timing for Barrett that's for sure.

From what I've read on it, it sounds like the only thing it's lacking (besides the 2 positon safety), is being put together under Melvins supervision. The only other potential difference I can think of, and something I don't think I've read anywhere, is about the recoil. I know that the stock design on the Nula seems to absorb about 30% of the recoil felt with the same cartridge in a different stock. I really would like to get my hands on one to get a first hand feel of it.

IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by ctsmith

Interesting but not uncommon. It keeps your eye right up there. I do have to say the stock is not elegant.

Straight recoil with less muzzle rise? It seems that way when shooting.

I'm liking the 21" 6.5 Fieldcraft but haven't gotten to shoot it as much as I'd like yet. Great little package. If I was making one change, it would be that they use the same contour barrel on the short actions that they use on the long actions and cut the short action at 22". It would put a little more weight out front when shooting offhand, from the bench it doesn't make much difference to me. That's a personal preference and some folks might not like the extra oz's. Great package either way.

From their website:

What is the barrel contour on every model and caliber?

Barrel contour is lighter than #0 contour for short action 21” barrels.
Barrel contour is similar to #2 contour for long action 24” barrels.
All short/long action barrel breeches are 1.065.

What is the diameter at the muzzle?

Short action – 21” barrel is .550
Long action – 24” barrel is .615

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bwinters
Art - a big thanks for the weights and over view. I find them interesting but for now the non-locking bolt is a deal killer. I have a M98 with a non-locking bolt and have bad it spit shells out of the chamber on more then one occasion. Before anyone comments - I do carry a bot chamber when I'm still hunting. It's pretty hard to chamber a round when a Whitetail is 20 yards away......

I hear that. In reality I have had my kimber bolt come open when strapped to my pack cause I don't carry one in the chamber when its strapped to my pack. I guess I could close the bolt on the empty chamber with go to safe but I never really bothered that much.

However when still hunting and I do have one in the chamber the rifle is in my hands, not slung over my shoulder or anything, cause if hunting that requires me to be walking around with one in the chamber for my uses then I am not going to want to have the rifle slung on my shoulder as such the bolt has never come open in my hands, maybe I am lucky. So for me the fact that the bolt doesn't lock closed isn't an issue as I don't even use that feature on my Kimber like some do I guess.

However if you do carry the rifle slung with one in the chamber while going the lots of alders and brush I suppose it could be a drawback and in that case this rifle likely isn't for you. But it don't see that being an issue for me, to each their own.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
The non locking bolt is something I can work around. I prefer that it locks so I can have a closed bolt with rounds in the mag slung on my back. If I'm going through thick stuff I don't have to worry about the bolt coming open and sticks or brush getting in my mag or chamber. I'll just have to carry the rifle in hand through any rough stuff.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Had an employee from Barrett visit me today. He brought my rifle. I ordered an 18" 7-08. Mounted a scope, screwed on a suppressor and commenced to shoot. First three shot group was less than an inch. Second three shot group was less than inch. Both were shot with handholds left from other rifles. No doubt its a shooter. I love the little rifle!

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Very nice. Please advise when the LH models will be available as I want to put one on order promptly.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Unfortunately, I was told the left hand models are a ways out. Barrett isn't ignoring the left hand crowd. It's just a major undertaking and a major financial commitment. Lots of tooling and expense.

Before I say any of this, please keep in my I have a left handed son -- so I have a personal interest, but...

best estimates suggest left handers are about 8% of the firearms market. Our numbers reflect that and we sell in excess 20,000 long guns a year. I realize those numbers are probably not accurate. Young shooters are given right hand firearms and stay that way for life, few companies offer a complete left hand selection of firearms, left handers can't get exactly what they want so they compromise, etc., etc. Lots of factors negatively impact those numbers.

This may sound selfish, but left hand guys better hope Barrett moves a ton of right hand Fieldcrafts. The rifle needs to be a major success before the capital is generated to produce left hand actions, stocks, etc.

Maybe that's a question that can be answered? How many preorders would it take to get the ball rolling?

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Hey SAS, nice shooting, what scope is that?

I am going to mount a 3-9x40 Leupold and need to decide between low and medium. What do ya'll think?

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
P.S. This rifle sure is sweet. Action cycles super smooth and the bedding job is very clean with a tight precise fit all the way to the forearm.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by BurninDupont
Hey SAS, nice shooting, what scope is that?

I am going to mount a 3-9x40 Leupold and need to decide between low and medium. What do ya'll think?

Thanks!

Mine is a 2.5-8x36. I'd suggest lows.

Page 17 of 31 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 30 31

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

115 members (10gaugemag, 358WCF, 673, 450yukon, 19rabbit52, 30Gibbs, 16 invisible), 1,773 guests, and 896 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,652
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.