Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Hey guys, looking to order my first McMillan stock but am having a hard time determining which pattern to go with. This stock will be going on a left-hand Savage Model 16 Lightweight Hunter in .250 Savage that I just ordered this morning. I know I will have to switch to a blind magazine but that's not an issue as I don't care for the Axis-style DBM setup anyway. Of course my being a lefty rules out the Mountain Rifle pattern as an option which seems to be a favorite around here.

Rifle Details:

Action: LH Savage center-feed S/A (4.40" screw spacing) with bottom (trigger guard) bolt release
Barrel: 20" factory straight taper (0.550" @ muzzle)
Scope Mount: DNZ Hunt Masters (low)
Optic: Leupy VX-2 3-9x40

Patterns I'm looking at:

- Compact/Hunters Edge
- McMillan Hunter
- Classic

Since I can't handle each to see which I like the feel of or which fits me best I'm hoping those of you that have one or more of these stocks can chime in and give your feedback on each. I'm pretty average build (5'11, 190-lbs) so most factory stocks fit me well, so I'm more interested in feedback on the nuances like grip width/angle, forearm shape/width, and buttstock thickness. The one measly photo on McMillan's site doesn't answer these questions, and since PhotoBucket got greedy most all of the pictures in the older threads I could refer to on here are inoperable.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by MrFurious; 07/19/17.

As long as there's still lead in the air, there's still hope!

BP-B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Do you like a palm swell? Go with the hunter, like trim and fit? Go with the Edge. Like Remington 700 factory stocks? Go with the Classic. Seriously if it were me, and I have all three, I would go Edge since it already is a lightweight rifle.

How do you know a Trump hater? They'll tell you.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've several McMillan Hunter stocks, Classics and a Hunter's Edge. I like them all, but favor the McMillan Hunter as a general purpose hunting stock. The Classic is a bit larger in the forearm than either the Hunter or Hunter's Edge/Compact. In my opinion the Classic is proportioned better for a blind magazine than either the Hunter or Hunter's Edge/Compact. I really like the geometry of the McMillan Hunter pistol grip, its mild cast off, and the svelte forearm. The Hunter's Edge/Compact is a trim stock with a very similar forearm to the McMillan Hunter. I like the comb height, but it is best suited to a low mounted scope.

In a gel coat finish, I'd use either the Classic or McMillan Hunter. I like them both. If you're using Edge fill, then I'd go Hunter's Edge/Compact.

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Suck bullets simply suck.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I like the hunter.

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm not a fan of the comb or grip geometry of the Compact/Hunter's Edge, so for me, it would boil down to the Classic or the McMillan Hunter. I don't think there is really a bad choice here, but you'd have to handle some stocks to see which feels "right". The factory Sako stocks are going to get you closer to the feel of the McM Hunter, with their palm swell and comb, although some may be thicker through the forend than the McM Hunter. Most modern 700 tupperware is not a radical departure from the Classic shape, except there is a cheek piece and the forends are a touch slimmer than the actual Classic. They handle quite similarly otherwise, concerning proportions and grip. I honestly like both styles, and the Classic is very user friendly to nearly anybody, but the Sako-ish patterns feel like they "fit" me a touch better.

Now with even more aplomb
IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have several of the Mcmillan Hunter stocks and like them a lot.

NRA Patron
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Hunters for me all the way.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Whichever pattern you decide on, go with Edge fill. Not only for weight savings but also for better balance with your light barrel.

For a setup like yours, I'd personally go with a Hunters Edge.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good call on the fill. Edge fill will balance that barrel better.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Yes. Edge and Hunter.

Unless you don't like the Hunter.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B3

M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Thanks for the input guys, keep it coming!

I've narrowed it down to the Compact/Hunters Edge and McMillan Hunter patterns at this point, and yes - I will definitely be doing the Edge fill (even though I really like the swirly look). I happen to have a 16 LWH in .223 Rem in for T&E right now and the factory tupperwear stock weights right at 2-lbs. which is what McMillan is listing for both patterns with standard fill (give or take). It's not bad, but could definitely benefit from having the balance point moved a little further forward with the lighter fill. I have a 4-16x44mm Trophy Xtreme mounted on it (20oz.) with a DNZ GameReeper mount and it weighs in just a hair under seven pounds. The Leupy scope will save me a about 9-oz. and the Edge fill should save me another 8-9 ounces, so the finished package should weigh about 6 pounds. Not quite an ultra-lite in my book, but darn close and not bad for a Savage which is a fairly heavy action in standard trim.

As for switching to a blind magazine, the main reason is because most of the McM stocks aren't the right depth for Savage's bottom metal to sit flush with the bottom of the stock. The only stocks McMillan can inlet for the Savage DBM or HFP bottom metal (per Varian Zingaro) are the A5, the A3-5, the A3 and the HTG). This is a big reason why you don't see many people running McMillan stocks on their Savage rifles - most aren't willing to give up their detachable magazine or hinged floorplate. If McM would take the time to make up some Savage specific molds and rework their patterns a little to accommodate the DBM/HFP hardware they'd be a much bigger player in the Savage market. It used to be most Savage owners wouldn't dream of spending that kind of money for a stock, but these days they're spending $600-1,000 for an aluminum chassis so dropping $5-6 bills on a Micky isn't a big deal.

Last edited by MrFurious; 07/19/17.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Another vote for the Hunter Edge...

M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Well chit!

Just got off the phone with McMillan and they pretty much threw a couple wrenches into my plan. Story of my life with these damn Savage's! LOL

First, they told me they can't do the Edge Tech fill on a Savage but they can do the graphite cloth though it's really not worth the extra money to upgrade to the graphite on a Savage because it only saves about 2-4 ounces. So that pretty much killed any weight savings benefit of going with the Compact/Hunters Edge over the Classic or McM Hunter. So I decided to go with the McM Hunter in a standard fill instead...that's when the second wrench came out of no where and hit me upside the head. Seems they don't have the Savage's Lightweight Hunter barrel contour on file yet so they would need me to send my rifle in for them to use as a pattern - and I would get to pay them an additional $56 for the privilege.

The problem with that is 1) the right-hand one in .223 Rem that I presently have is a T&E loaner from Savage, and the Left-hand one I special ordered in .250 Savage probably won't show up here for another 2 months or so. So either I'd have to buy the loaner I have here and ship it out to McMillan or wait until my s/o one shows up to send out to them.

So much for getting the stock ordered early so the wait wouldn't be so long after the rifle arrives.

Last edited by MrFurious; 07/20/17.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

This is a small barrel and would look crappy in a mcmillan classic or a new mcmillan hunter. These forends can take MUCH more contour than that.

Add that to all of the above problems and I would move on from this idea. Savage's are cheap utility guns that shoot well. Get a higher quality gun and then get the nice Mcmillan. Just my advice, take it or throw it down the crapper.

Best

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
You could do yourself an enormous favor in the long run and cancel the Savage rifle order.

Then get a Tikka T3, order a McMillan with Edge fill and be done.

That is about the most trouble free way to roll.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The rifle is going to balance like crap with a Standard fill Hunter, also.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Do what MacKay said.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by BurninDupont

This is a small barrel and would look crappy in a mcmillan classic or a new mcmillan hunter. These forends can take MUCH more contour than that.

Add that to all of the above problems and I would move on from this idea. Savage's are cheap utility guns that shoot well. Get a higher quality gun and then get the nice Mcmillan. Just my advice, take it or throw it down the crapper.

Best

On the Classic or McM Hunter you're probably right which is why I held off on placing an order. Right now I'm waiting to hear back from Manner's on their EH6 and EH8 stocks. They seem to be more up-to-date with their inlets and options when it comes to Savage rifles, but detailed info on their patters is greatly lacking on their website. The factory tupperwear stock (non-AccuStock) weights right at 2-lbs by my scale and the balance point is just behind the front action screw which isn't bad at all.

As for the "cheap utility guns" comment, I was wondering how long it was going to take. LOL You're entitled to your opinion, but I've had several dozen Savage rifles come through here for T&E over the last 15 years - most of which had no problem shooting sub MOA with factory fodder. In fact, I can only think of a couple that wouldn't and those were rimfires. Sure, I could go out and dropped $2,500 or so on a titanium 700 clone, a Bartlein barrel and a McMillan or Manners stock, or just order a NULA for $3,600, but would all that extra money get me a rifle that shoots any better than a "cheap utility" Savage? I highly doubt it. Ditto for buying a Tikka or any other brand rifle and rebarreling/restocking it to get what I want. It's a little more difficult to get exactly what you want for a Savage at times because (like you) some manufacturers in the industry still snub their nose at them and refuse to support them as much as they do other brands, but that's all part of the challenge.

So yeah, I have no qualms about my "cheap utility" Savage's. I'll happily take the money I'm saving and put it towards a hunting trip or two.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I suspect a lot of the reason manufacturers aren’t in a big hurry to build high end hunting rifle stocks specifically for Savage is because the market isn’t there. Sure, the “shooter” crowd may build chassis rifles on Savages, but most hunters buying Savages are not going to spend big money - they are the guys wanting something cheap.

M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
You might be surprised. In the past that was very much true - even just 5-10 years ago, but in the last few years that's been changing. These days those wanting something cheap are buying a Savage Axis or Ruger American, or possibly even a Remington 783 (funny how the latter two are Savage clones - as are the Mossbergs). Those buying the 110-Series models still are those wanting higher quality stuff. And given how chinsy the base Savage synthetic stock is most are looking to upgrade it right from the start. Boyds has cornered the wood/laminate replacement stock market for these guns, but there's still really no good quality synthetic stock option available at this point.

I will be the first to admit though, Savage has been their own worse enemy in this regard over the last 10-15 years with their series of running changes. Can't expect the aftermarket to fully get on board when the product is constantly changing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
615 members (2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 62 invisible), 2,474 guests, and 1,126 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,599
Posts18,398,245
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.