Print Thread
Hop To
S
ST50 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Any recommendations on a day or 2 fly fishing in Wyoming, preferably Southern. No real plans yet, just getting started. Looking for public access on rivers or streams, maybe a lake. We have looked at Pinedale and Lander a little I plan to stay away from Yellowstone on this trip. Amateur fly-fisher here. Nothing real serious. Thanks

GB2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Greys River south of Alpine. Don't take the motor home as it's about 60 miles of gravel road.

1Minute
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I have fished the Green River just northwest of Pinedale. Continuing north from Pinedale you will cross the Warren Bridge and an immediate right turn onto BLM 5201 will take you to the section of the river accessible from the BLM land. The road was not a bad one 6 or 7 years ago. I caught a few large cutthroats there during a quick stop on the way to Jackson. I wished I could have stayed longer on that river.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Another vote for the Green River. If you make it up tothe Upper Green River Lakes you have even more options if you don't mind walking a bit

S
ST50 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Good suggestions so far! Thanks

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In Lander go to the Wind River Outdoor Company for info and maps and fish the Popo Agie.

It's a nice small river/good sized stream with lots of browns and rainbows. I fished there last summer and caught fair numbers of trout up 13 inches or so. Nothing huge but it was fun. A copper john or a gold bead head prince rubber leg nymph worked well. A tan elk hair caddis produced a few rises but nymphs were the ticket. They also attack a # 1 gold Vibrax if you like to spin fish. The public access area near the big water tank a few miles from Lander, the no fee campground across from the ranger station, and even in town at the city park was good fishing.

I tried the lakes and some of the other streams higher up but the Popo Agie was the best fishing in that area by far.

Visit the Sink Hole to see the BIGGEST wild trout you'll ever see ... ever ... anywhere. cool

Tight lines to ya.

S
ST50 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks fish head, so far that's the closest destination.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Try the North Platte River basin south of Saratoga.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The Grays is good. We used to live in Star Valley and I fished it quite a bit. The Salt River there in Star Valley can be good especially when the salmon flys are hatching....if you catch it early enough. I always did pretty fair on Willow Creek, a trib of the Salt. 15 years ago it was a walk in area...don't know if it still is. On north of Pinedale is the Hoback. Never fished it a lot but it's a pretty creek. The Green is always good. Sorry but I'm pretty ignorant of what might be south of I-80. Oughta be something over by Evanston.

NRA Benefactor 2008

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John 14-6

There is no right way to do a wrong thing
A
a12 Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
https://imgur.com/gallery/szca6

Scroll down on the left no and you’ll see our fishing pics from the North Platte.

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by a12
https://imgur.com/gallery/szca6

Scroll down on the left no and you’ll see our fishing pics from the North Platte.

nice fish.

Ver fished the north Platte

Hear it is pretty technical and use tiny flies

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ST50
Any recommendations on a day or 2 fly fishing in Wyoming, preferably Southern. No real plans yet, just getting started. Looking for public access on rivers or streams, maybe a lake. We have looked at Pinedale and Lander a little I plan to stay away from Yellowstone on this trip. Amateur fly-fisher here. Nothing real serious. Thanks

I would recommend Miracle mile. It is roughly halfway between Casper and Rawlins.

There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor polite, nor popular -- but one must ask, "Is it right?"

Martin Luther King, Jr.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Platte river at Saratoga is great fishing on all kinds of flies, depends on when you will be there and the hatch. High Savery Res close by has tiger trout too. Snowy Range has high altitude lakes and streams with brookies , rainbows and some cutthroats and golden trout.
Miracle Mile is always good. Want some walleye, hit one of the lakes on the Eastern side.
Lake Hattie near Laramie has some kokane also.
Laramie River is good near Woods Landing.

We've got great fishing all over the state.

Saratoga would be a great stop for your trip, beautiful drive over the range from Laramie. Neat little town with western flair. A free hot spring pool for soaking. River runs through town and public land right around it.

W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
If you try to fish the Platte at Saratoga when it is hot, the Colorado bums will push you out..

Molon Labe
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Landed these beauties in the area you're inquiring, but I'm sworn to secrecy on locations. There are plenty of options from Thermopolis to Pinedale. Green River as suggested above and below Fontenelle Reservoir.

Thermopolis Area:
Bighorn River at Wedding of the Waters; Wind River through the canyon just south of Thermop (don't need a tribal permit above the last tunnel to the dam).

North Platte
Saratoga area is beautiful with some great campsites, Miracle Mile section of the N. Platte - lotsa public access and places to camp on that section, Greys Reef near Alcova.

Attached Images
Capture.JPG (90.84 KB, 26 downloads)
Capture2.JPG (97.37 KB, 20 downloads)
Last edited by Driftboater; 02/16/18.

We have enough youth, how about a fountain of SMART???

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
624 members (09wingates, 2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 58 invisible), 2,521 guests, and 1,154 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,599
Posts18,398,261
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.