Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I posted something similar in Deer Hunting. However, I figure y'all might be interested in gnawing on this as well:

From the Ohio Hunting Regulations Webpage, new this year, the requirements for what constitutes a legal whitetail deer rifle:

Straight-walled cartridge rifles in the following calibers: New this year! All straight-walled cartridge calibers from a minimum of .357 to a maximum of .50. Shotguns and straight-walled cartridge rifles can be loaded with no more than three shells in the chamber and magazine combined.

Given those specs, what would you envision as the ultimate Ohio deer rifle?

Mind you, I'm not looking for anything except good conversation. I moved all my hunting 10 miles south of the Ohio River into Kentucky. I'm perfectly happy with my collection of 30-06's and 308's. However, my first 20 seasons were spent in Ohio lobbing 12 GA Remmie Sluggers at the little boogers.

Bonus Question: Indiana had its 35 Hoosier, developed during that state's flirt with Pistol Cailiber Rifles. Given the current regs and your own wildcatting imagination, spitball the 35 Buckeye.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
BP-B2

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I'll be sticking with my tried and true Winchester 94 Big-Bore in .375 Winchester that I've been using the last few years. Bought it three years ago and it's taken three doe so I have no complaints. It doesn't have the range or level of accuracy my Savage 10ML-II muzzleloader offers, but it weights about half as much as the Savage.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by MrFurious; 07/21/17.

As long as there's still lead in the air, there's still hope!

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Rossi 92 in 357 Magnum???

357-204 wildcat???

450 Bushmaster???

shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

The first things that came to my mind were 357 Max and 375 WIN as well as 45-70

Someone else suggested 9.3X72R. I don't know much about that round, but it looks interesting.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Poorly worded / researched law. I guess a 458 Win Mag or 458 Lott would be legal. Or does it say rimmed cartridge or no belts?

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
IC B2

J
J23 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I was excited to see the new regulations to be honest, I was never a fan of slug guns.. more than likely due to my love affair with rifles. I have a Contender Carbine with a 21" MGM .357 Magnum barrel. It works just fine on deer in the terrain I'm used to hunting on and around my place.

"Ignorance is acceptable, because you can remedy it with knowledge and research. Stupidity is when you guard your ignorance."
Ted Nugent

"Idolizing a politician is like believing the stripper really likes you."
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
The rewording opens things up for a few more cartridge options (the old wording had a specific list of permitted cartridges), but it still makes little sense. The fact that one can use a .45-70 but not a .30-30 makes no sense when the underlying premise for the restrictions is a concern for safety due to the potential distance the bullet could travel on a miss. As Mike points out, the wording is very vague and raises the question as to whether belted magnums (.450 Marlin, .458 Winchester, etc) would be legal.

As long as there's still lead in the air, there's still hope!

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I'd go 458 Lott then, just because you can and your neighbor won't.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I'm using a .44mag, and a .45-70 this year. Definitely happy about the law change. Shot a little doe with the .44mag last year.
-Jake

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MrFurious
The rewording opens things up for a few more cartridge options (the old wording had a specific list of permitted cartridges), but it still makes little sense. The fact that one can use a .45-70 but not a .30-30 makes no sense when the underlying premise for the restrictions is a concern for safety due to the potential distance the bullet could travel on a miss. As Mike points out, the wording is very vague and raises the question as to whether belted magnums (.450 Marlin, .458 Winchester, etc) would be legal.

The old law was far more capricious. It was a laundry list of specific chamberings, and it looked like somebody had gone to the closet and cherry picked their favorites. By my read of it, 450 Marlin and 458 Magnum are in.

These rules only make sense when you figure in the underlying conflicts. On the one hand you have folks that don't want deer hunting at all allied with bowhunters. Farmers are split. Some see anything that reduces the deer herd is good. Others don't want high-powered rifle bullets coming through their walls. I've been following this fight since I started hunting Ohio in the early 80's. This is one of a series of baby steps the ODNR has taken over the years to move to allow all centerfire rifle, but they've had to manoeuvre a lot through each step.

When I got started it was just an accepted catechism that Ohio was too densely populated for anything but shotguns, and if it was not that way, there'd be a massacre. Even today, there is a major contingent of deer hunters who think this way, or else think Ohio hunters are somehow superior because they hunt with shotguns.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If I lived in Ohio, first thing I'd do is build a 450 Marlin on an M70 WSM action.

Hunting with a Ruger no.1 in 45-70 wouldn't hurt my feelings either.

Pretty dopey legislation all the way around...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
You want to hear dopey?

In Louisiana you can hunt the "Primitive Weapon" (Muzzleloader) season with a single shot rifle and any cartridge .35 caliber or larger. Most choose .35 Whelen, and, you can use telescopic sights!

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I've been using the Marlin 1894 .44 mag I bought just a little before Ohio opened up to "pistol cartridge rifles" a few years ago. Had I known then what I know now, I may have gone a different route, probably to either the Ruger 77/44 or a Contender carbine. Were I to choose a cartridge strictly for deer hunting under the new rules, I'd probably choose the .357 Maximum (which is already good under our existing "pistol cartridge rifle" rules), for a good balance between flat trajectory and low recoil, although I've never yet owned one.

As an aside, I did own a Contender in .358 JDJ in the early 90's when I lived in southern Indiana to acquire what I thought would be the ultimate handgun legal, deer hunting cartridge under their regulations at the time. What I discovered was that while I could hit really good off of a benchrest, my long range handgun shooting skills sucked. I really needed something to stabilize both ends of the gun. That's why I sold it, but if it could have used it as a "rifle"... I may have still had it. However the .358 JDJ is bottlenecked, so not legal in Ohio and therefore a moot point.

If I didn't go .357 Max, but wanted something with a little more long range pizzaz than a .44 mag, I might also consider a .445 super mag in a Contender carbine, or the .454 in the Rossi/ Puma/ Braztech lever gun, or a .450 Bushmaster in the Ruger American.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Seems to me Marlin rifles in .444 could be in high demand in Ohio.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Borchardt
You want to hear dopey?

In Louisiana you can hunt the "Primitive Weapon" (Muzzleloader) season with a single shot rifle and any cartridge .35 caliber or larger. Most choose .35 Whelen, and, you can use telescopic sights!

I'd be on that like white on rice.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
ya 35 whelen muzzle loader. i am in

shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by taylorce1
Seems to me Marlin rifles in .444 could be in high demand in Ohio.

There'd be a lot of rifles in demand right now if they were made (or still made).

The big bore Winchester 94 in 375 WIN
The Savage 99 in 375 WIN
The Marlin 1894 in 375 WIN
The Ruger 44 Mag semi-auto Carbine

The problem is these are all in the rear-view mirror now. Ohio has managed to pick a list of orphans with few exceptions.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I almost wish I lived there. It is the perfect excuse to get a 458 Lott. Go big, or go home move to a different state.

D
djb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
There is no need or (need) for a long range cartridge in Ohio. This state is very crowded and the deer basically run a gauntlet after the morning volley then hide like rabbits. I use a Marlin 44 mag and/or Savage 220 bolt, and surely don't want the excessive recoil of a 458 or even 45/70 to shoot a 100 lb deer. We have some nice bucks here but they seldom go much over 200 lbs.

I'd love to be able to use my rifles just because I love a svelte rifle, but we are certainly not handicapped w/o them.

The truth angers those whom it does not convince
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

.458 x 2"

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
94 members (99Ozarks, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 257_X_50, 13 invisible), 1,674 guests, and 680 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,727
Posts18,400,724
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.