Print Thread
Hop To
S
skitish Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
To date they say one million men and women have given their lives in the defense of our country and our freedoms. While this is a huge price it does not reflect the total cost of our freedom. To this we must add the lost futures and the devastated families. We must add the children that are forced to grow up without father or mother. We must add to the tally the men and women that returned broken in body and spirit and left to fend for themselves as they dealt with their physical challenges and demons. Add to the costs their time and anxiety as they try to find jobs to support their families in a market place and society they do not understand and does not understand them. Add to the costs the thousand tears the mothers and fathers shed when the stranger in the military uniform knocks at their door bearing a letter and the scars they bear forever in their loss. Do not misunderstand, I do not begrudge my service nor do I think many others do. We went knowing the price that might be paid and for a variety of reasons. If our Country was in peril we would go again. Many of us believe we are better for our service. Many of us know it had to be done. Just remember that when you see the young service man and he is standing tall and clean with all his parts still attached, there are many others with the thousand yard stare, haunted by their demons and broken in body. These are not so clean and not so strong but they gave their all for what they thought was right and now they just do the best they can. These men and women are still paying for our freedom. These men and women also deserve our help and respect. If you’re a vet and you’re doing ok, thank God. If you’re a civilian thank a vet, if you have the opportunity to help a vet whether with a job or your vote, think about the cost of your freedom.

BP-B2

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
The war is never over in your mind.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
The deepest Thank You! to all that let us live as we do.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I spent 10 years active in the USAF during the Vietnam era. I did not make it over there as there was not too much demand for my allied medical profession there, there usually being only one or two pharmacists in country, but instead spent two years in Turkey. Called up later as reservist for Desert Storm, at a contingency hospital in the UK, so luckily have never seen combat or been in a combat zone as many thousands of service personnel. I did have to deal somewhat with those who returned from those combat zones, and even worse with the families of those serving in those zones and the one who had lost loved ones. Even being detached from the immediate ugliness it is sometimes difficult to deal with the long reaching costs.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jkingrph
I spent 10 years active in the USAF during the Vietnam era. I did not make it over there as there was not too much demand for my allied medical profession there, there usually being only one or two pharmacists in country, but instead spent two years in Turkey. Called up later as reservist for Desert Storm, at a contingency hospital in the UK, so luckily have never seen combat or been in a combat zone as many thousands of service personnel. I did have to deal somewhat with those who returned from those combat zones, and even worse with the families of those serving in those zones and the one who had lost loved ones. Even being detached from the immediate ugliness it is sometimes difficult to deal with the long reaching costs.

Things have changed quite a bit for pharmacists in combat zones. There aren't many Army pharmacist who haven't deployed at least once. I've been lucky in that regard. I've volunteered for deployments several times but just haven't been picked. I did spend 3 years at Landstuhl as the clinical pharmacist for the trauma surgeons. Our patients were 12-36 hours post injury. We got 2-3 plane loads every day. The shear number of wounded was staggering. Before going to Landstuhl I was at Ft Carson and didn't have any idea how many wounded there were.

I was an enlisted 11B during Desert Storm and did not deploy even though our unit was supposed to. Hated it then, but see it as a blessing now. Will retire from the reserves next year and be done. My wife still has 6 years left in the Air Force and my son has 2 yrs left on his enlistment as a Marine. He is due to deploy sometime next year. If Trump does anything at all for this country I hope it is to get us out of the Middle East for good.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Some of the greatest damage done to vets, and I am talking across all the 30 or so 1st world/free countries is the assumption they all nhave mental illness. While a certain % do, it is still not the norm. However its gotten to the point the public believes 'every one' of them has severe PTSD. Turning out to be as detrimental as war service. Stereoptyped as "being mentally ill" just due to the job you did. Doesnt help job prospects, relationships and sense of self worth.

In the day you were told you could feel down after deployments, common post deployment fatigue but dont drink too much, interact, keep working and most people would come back online. If you didnt after that, THEN you went into see the doc. Now first sign of trouble they hit the soldiers with heavy meds. The 'PTSD liability snowball', has docs worried that soldier might be the one that kills himself. Some of those meds are very heavy hammers. Ive had buddies presenting with mild depression put onto anti depressants and somehow end up Psychotic on anti psychotics. its not an acceptable treatment path. They are starting to push back against this now, which is good, less drugs, less brain mushing.

Just my 2 cents on respecting vets. Dont believe everything Hollywood or mainstream media tells you.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
661 members (1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17Fan, 09wingates, 73 invisible), 2,682 guests, and 1,215 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,608
Posts18,398,386
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.