Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
O
Otter6 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Well,I was in a local gun shop the other day. They had the Kimber rifle line quite well represented. Looked at one of everything. I gotta tell ya. I thought I knew what a light weight rifle was. I was wrong. I just flat assed couldn't believe how light the Mountain Assent was. Oh sure the numbers on the printed page are clear enough. In person? I never held nuttin like that before. Sweet! Doubt I could shoot it for chit. It sure would carry nice though.

The other Kimber that caught my eye was the Classic Select. Just enough heavier that I may stand a chance shooting it. Friggin nice rifle. Felt good in hand too. I could see taking a chance one of those. My question to you all is just how nice does the wood on one of these things get? Anyone here have a pic or two of an above average Select? I'd have to have one brought in in the caliber I'd prefer. I want to make sure I don't settle for one less than par at least. Ill have the right to refuse it if I don't think it's up to snuff. Just how nice do these get?

Last edited by Otter6; 07/13/17.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
GB1

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
The Kimber selects are nice at 6 lb 2 oz but I'd never buy one sight unseen. I've seen more sapwood on Kimber stocks than I have in the forest. I'm still looking for a nice one in 280 Ackley.

“Factio democratica delenda est"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If they have a selection ask them to pull them all out, my local brick and mortar pulled out 10 of em in 257 Roberts before I found one I liked.

And you could figure out the mountain ascent, I've got a .308 adirondack and a 338 federal montana that I chopped down to 16.75" and it weighs close to the same. They both kick but with some work they'll shoot MOA. Mountain ascent should buck a little less with more weight out front and overall weight being equal. I think the larger bores do ok with shorter barrels. I wouldn't shoot a creedmoor or .243 out of a barrel that short.

O
Otter6 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by nyrifleman
The Kimber selects are nice at 6 lb 2 oz but I'd never buy one sight unseen. I've seen more sapwood on Kimber stocks than I have in the forest. I'm still looking for a nice one in 280 Ackley.

Thanks. Ill take that advise. Some folks like sapwood. I ain't one of em.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
O
Otter6 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by Mjduct
If they have a selection ask them to pull them all out, my local brick and mortar pulled out 10 of em in 257 Roberts before I found one I liked.

And you could figure out the mountain ascent, I've got a .308 adirondack and a 338 federal montana that I chopped down to 16.75" and it weighs close to the same. They both kick but with some work they'll shoot MOA. Mountain ascent should buck a little less with more weight out front and overall weight being equal. I think the larger bores do ok with shorter barrels. I wouldn't shoot a creedmoor or .243 out of a barrel that short.

Yeah,that ascent was sweet. I had no idea just how light they were. I agree with you regarding the bigger bores and short tubes. Your 338 Fed Montana sounds like the ultimate baited bear rig. Bark a little does it?

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have one with average wood. 257 Roberts I bought about 10 years ago.

Terrible memory but I believe Cheesy(and a few other members here) have some really pretty versions.

O
Otter6 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Sam,ever try the 110 A-bond in that Roberts?

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
What do you want to know about the 110 accubonds?

I truly dislike them. In 2015 I was unable to find 120 grain partitions so I settled for the 110 grain Accubonds. I shot two deer in about 2-3 minutes, real similar behind the shoulder, raking-forward shots. I lost 3 of the 4 shoulders to bloodshot. I don't mean a LITTLE bloodshot, I mean soup only vaguely thicker than ketchup. I missed both on-side shoulder blades but shook the on-sides so bad they were goo anyway. The off side shoulder on the larger deer was undamaged, a little pink, but no major problem 'cause the bullet blew up early enough in passing through the chest that the fragments didn't reach the off-side of the rib cage. The off side of the smaller deer was black and purple soup. The bullet blew up inside but close enough to the off-side of the rib cage for fragments to rip through between the ribs and pulverize the meat under the shoulder blade, and hit with enough force to "shock" everything touching the shoulder.

It was [bleep] GOO.

Going into last summer Nosler put out another run of 120 grain partitions. I bought 10 boxes. The rest of the Accubonds moved to the varmint bullet pile for a windy day when I need a higher BC coyote bullet.

You do what you want .. I'm sure not using them on game anymore. There are a lot of non-bonded C 'n' C bullets I'd try before using those things again. .. but I don't have to 'cause this gun shoots the 120 grain partitions about as well as they do any of the other 20 or so bullets I've tried in it, and partitions work, no excuses, no apologies.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
You can learn to shoot the Kimber Ascent well enough for hunting. I have one in .270Win. It is slightly sub-MOA to 1.5 MOA with most factory ammunition and a 4x Swarovski on top. Also, right at 6.0 lbs scoped, empty. If you pick one up, look at ShortActionSmoker's "Pre Flight Check List" for Kimber rifles. I've done most things to my Ascent except bed the action to the stock.

High level of variability in the visual quality of the wood on the Kimber Classic Select rifles. But, like the Mountain Ascents, they also "feel nice" in the hand. The Classic Select that I purchased in .270Win has common wood. However, it was available, the price was right, and I bought it to hunt. I won't sweat any "character marks" that it picks up in the field. Have not yet had time to wring it out accuracy-wise.

Now, if Kimber would only build some Left Hand rifles... cry

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Otter6

Yeah,that ascent was sweet. I had no idea just how light they were. I agree with you regarding the bigger bores and short tubes. Your 338 Fed Montana sounds like the ultimate baited bear rig. Bark a little does it?

When sighting it in from the bench I was thinking about moving it along... but after taking it in the field and killing a bunch of hogs with it shooting standing offhand with a galco safari Ching sling I'm keeping it. Recoils not bad when your whole body moves with it. Sound isn't terrible in the open air either.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a Classic Select in .270 WSM. Very beautiful piece of wood and light. Light rifles are pretty unforgiving on the bench but it also shoots great with proper bench technique.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I came into two Kimber's in the same week after never having messed with them before and hearing all the horror stories. I love mine but I do believe I'm going to sell my Classic Select over my Montana in .325 WSM. The .325 is lighter, uglier, recoils way harder and doesn't quite shoot as good. But it has a house full of power, packs better, wont bother me to drag it through the brush and rocks, still shoots plenty good, and is a better go to gun the world over.

Good luck,

Todd

O
Otter6 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Nice shootin iron. And a nice shooting iron.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Otter6
Sam,ever try the 110 A-bond in that Roberts?

Otter, I think I did but can't remember for certain.

I have a bunch of 117 SGK's loaded for it now but rarely take it out of the safe.

A 243 Montana stepped in and makes a much better beater rifle!

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have the classic select in an 84l model, and I believe the wood is beautiful.
It almost has a grayish hue to it. Pretty wood, fairly straight grained. I absolutely love the look.
Personally I would reccomend it, shoots great and carries fantastic.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I've shot the 110 AccuBond in my .257 Roberts Classic Select, but with only mediocre results. Several bullets, particularly the Barnes 100 TSX and the Sierra 100 ProHunter shoot much better, both with H4350.

O
Otter6 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by JackVliet
I have the classic select in an 84l model, and I believe the wood is beautiful.
It almost has a grayish hue to it. Pretty wood, fairly straight grained. I absolutely love the look.
Personally I would reccomend it, shoots great and carries fantastic.

What's she chambered in?

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I chose the 270, recoil in that rifle is a whole lot less than I expected out of something that light. Goes 7 pounds flat with my scope.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
the wood on my 257bob doesn't suck too hard =]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have one in .308 I am about to sell, there is some nice wood out there if you search for it
[Linked Image]

Attached Images
FullSizeRender (23).jpg (23.67 KB, 218 downloads)
Last edited by bt8897; 07/22/17.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Mjduct
the wood on my 257bob doesn't suck too hard =]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Wow! That is really nice!

IMO that's about as good as it gets in a Kimber.

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

234 members (22kHornet, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 1OntarioJim, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 22 invisible), 1,463 guests, and 912 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,176
Posts18,465,476
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.