Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Zengela
Well, I want(maybe need?) A Win lefty 416 and yes, those barrels are nice. Need to ponder would it be simpler, easier and CHEAPER to rechambered/rebore to 416, chop and flute? Any thoughts.

I'm guessing a chop/flute job will be close to a rebore/rechamber in cost, maybe a tad cheaper.

I'd call around and ask.

It depends on how you want the finished project to look and feel.

DF

Edited to add, Karl removed around 5 oz with this flute job. He had to work around NECG iron, ended up with 5 instead of the usual 6 flutes. He'd have lost more weight, maybe 6+ oz otherwise.

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 07/17/17.
BP-B2

Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
Yeah, I'm thinking just a rechambered/rebore with a chop. Don't really need the flutes, would be nice. But.... A few bucks here and a few there add up. Besides, I don't know if a very light 416 is something I'm gonna enjoy. My shoulder? Yes, on the carrying. My shoulder? No!! On the firing.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by Winchestermodel70
The single most useful rifle I have is a Dakota 76 African in .416 Rigby. It has taken DG at 16 paces and PG out to 200 yards.

At 11 lbs loaded with scope, it's a tad heavy, but with a good sling carries well and groups under an inch.

A PH friend has a 1920's Rigby .470 double, but his preferred backup rifle is a custom .416 Rigby built around a pre-war M98 action with open sights.

I also have a Dakota 76 African in 416 Rigby. With CEB Safari Raptor bullets and 100 grains of RL 22, it is a tack driver. One of the most accurate rifles I own. That rifle and my 500 NE have been my 2 gun Dangerous game battery for the past 3 safaris

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Jorge,

What are your thoughts on the PH using solids exclusively.

DF

Let me give you my 2 cents worth. Like Jorge said, PH is a different circumstance than the client hunter. In my experience with Cape Buffalo as a hunter and as an observer, good expanding bullets into the shoulder or chest in the case of a frontal shot seem to put them down much faster than solids. The client hunter usually has the luxuary of picking his shot, while the PH is most often either taking a raking shot on a departing wounded animal, or stopping the charge of an agitated animal. It that scenario, penetration is king, and driving a bullet to either break down a hip or shoulder, or to hit the brain/spine/CNS is all important.

After using solids in my .450/400, and 9.3 x 62, I went to TSX and RWS H-Mantle for the bolt gun, and 400grn Woodeleigh SP for the double and have been completely satisfied.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Photobucket sucks...

Here's the .375 H&H mentioned, flues by Karl.

DF

[Linked Image]

Good looking rifle right there.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by hatari
Photobucket sucks...

Here's the .375 H&H mentioned, flues by Karl.

DF

[Linked Image]

Good looking rifle right there.

All function, not much on asthetics.

An honest, handy working rifle.

Didn't think I was gonna like Tupperware, but the shape is about right, it handles well and you ain't gonna scratch or mess up the finish.

The trigger was tuned (by me) to a clean 3#'s, about right, IMO, for such a gun.

DF

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I've forced myself to like plastic guns a couple of times. Just couldn't do it. They (all three) went downrange..

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Agree on asthetics, plastic just not that pretty.

I guess you gotta look at a rifle like you would a tool to appreciate ugly.

I like a beautiful piece of lumber on a find classic action like the next guy.

I just hate to scratch up a fancy gun, feel more comfortable with an ugly gun.

Here's my custom FN 98 Swede/Shilen in a McWoody. To me this is trying to look pretty and still go synthetic

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Nice looking rifle. Gunner500 has my MacWoodie now smile

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
DF,
Please let me know if you ever have any interest in sending that 375 down the road:)

Do or do not, there is no try.
IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by NDHuntr
DF,
Please let me know if you ever have any interest in sending that 375 down the road:)

grin

I finally got it where I want it. Plan to keep it.

It's currently my only big boomer, others traded, so it needs to function as a do all medium bore, which I think it'll do quite well.

The .375 H&H is very versatile, lots of load options for various applications.

Thanks for your interest.

DF

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ha, ha. Didn't figure you would want to part with it. Have a factory stainless classic that hasn't been cut and is sitting in an HS stock. It shoots so dang good I hesitate to cut it. Think I may have to put it in an Echol's stock one of these days and put NECG sights on it.

Last edited by NDHuntr; 07/18/17.

Do or do not, there is no try.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by NDHuntr
Ha, ha. Didn't figure you would want to part with it. Have a factory stainless classic that hasn't been cut and is sitting in an HS stock. It shoots so dang good I hesitate to cut it. Think I may have to put it in an Echol's stock one of these days and put NECG sights on it.

Chopping with a good crown won't hurt accuracy.

Karl is one of the best with flutes, he could probably do a chop job at the same time.

Mine balances very well, was way too barrel heavy before.

If I don't like one, I either fix it or move it. I chose to fix this one.

DF

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Originally Posted by jdemocko
Originally Posted by Winchestermodel70
The single most useful rifle I have is a Dakota 76 African in .416 Rigby. It has taken DG at 16 paces and PG out to 200 yards.

At 11 lbs loaded with scope, it's a tad heavy, but with a good sling carries well and groups under an inch.

A PH friend has a 1920's Rigby .470 double, but his preferred backup rifle is a custom .416 Rigby built around a pre-war M98 action with open sights.

I also have a Dakota 76 African in 416 Rigby. With CEB Safari Raptor bullets and 100 grains of RL 22, it is a tack driver. One of the most accurate rifles I own. That rifle and my 500 NE have been my 2 gun Dangerous game battery for the past 3 safaris

Dad and I both have 76 Dakotas in .416 Rigby. I'm RH and he's LH. They are a great gun for the money. I actually found his on "The Fire" from a lefty who had it as a safe queen. His .416 Rigby took 3 buffalo in Tanzania, 1 lion in Zim, and 1 buffalo in Zim back in 2015. The 400 grain TSX is a great bullet--we never had an issue with the 6 buffalo we took that year. Unfortunately, the river valley was too open for the double rifles--especially when pursuing for bait more than for sport.

For those of you torn between the Rigby and the Remington, go with the traditional African cartridge. There is something to be said for having the same cartridge used in those old safari books that captivated you years ago.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Agree, kscowboy. My Dakota .416 Rigby is my most useful rifle and the last one I would ever consider selling. I recently handled one of the new .416 Mauser 98's and a .416 by Rigby's latest incarnation (they start out with a Mauser barreled action. Both Rigby and Mauser are now owned by Blaser). They were nice, but I would not trade my Dakota for one. The Dakota always shoots under an inch and is a tried and true safari veteran. It has accounted for multiple cape buff, a lion and many head of other African game, from klipspringer on up. When I leave on safari, my gun case usually contains the Dakota and my .470.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Dakotas are hard to beat, great guns.

You know, we love pictures... grin

DF

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Dakotas are hard to beat, great guns.

You know, we love pictures... grin

DF

Regarding posting pics, quite honestly, I dunno how it works....

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I think it's suggested to use the image gallery here. It's super easy to use. You then right click over the image, select "copy image location" from the drop down menu, then paste in between the image tags [img] [/img]

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
294 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 32 invisible), 2,033 guests, and 934 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,822
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.