Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
That makes sense. I completely understand - same thing goes with the 77/22, 77/357, 77/44, 77,17 series, as Mcmillan won’t make a sporter stock for these rifles, only the Rimfire Magnum Varmint. So owners are SOL when it comes to a high quality fiberglass stock in hunting dimensions. Funny thing is Mcmillan had a really nice mold for the 77/22s, and last I heard it broke and they wouldn’t build another one....despite me calling and bothering them about it regularly!

Still, one has to think about from Mcmillan’s perspective. How many folks would actually order the stocks, and when would the company turn a profit on their investment? As I recall a new mold was a pretty significant investment for Mcmillan, and if they build 2 stocks a year for some specialized rifle it’s not really worth it for them to go to the hassle.

GB1

M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Yeah, it gets back to the age old question of: Which came first, the chicken or the egg.

Since Savage came out with the Model 11/111 Lightweight Hunter back in 2012 I've been repeatedly putting the bug into their ear about teaming up with McMillan to offer a stainless/synthetic model with the Hunter's Edge stock. McMillan would have to make a new specific mold for a Savage to use the Edge Technology, but if Savage were offering it on a production rifle from the factory they would be ordering enough to offset the cost of the mold. And since the Hunters Edge is ambidextrous in design they could also offer it in LH through the Special Order Dept. by keeping one or two LH stocks on hand for such orders. This year they came out with the 16/116 Lightweight Hunter, but it comes with the same lousy synthetic stock that the Trophy Hunter models wears. That keeps the cost down, but it definitely leaves a lot to be desired. It's decisions like this that keep Savage from elevating themselves to the next level and changing how some people view their products.

As long as there's still lead in the air, there's still hope!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MrFurious
Well chit!
Just got off the phone with McMillan and they pretty much threw a couple wrenches into my plan. Story of my life with these damn Savage's! LOL

"Doc, it hurts when I do this" - Doc; "don't do that"..... grin

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by SKane
Well chit!
Just got off the phone with McMillan and they pretty much threw a couple wrenches into my plan. Story of my life with these damn Savage's! LOL

"Doc, it hurts when I do this" - Doc; "don't do that"..... grin

But life gets real boring real fast when you just go with the flow and adopt the Monkey See - Monkey Do mentality. grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You are correct. smile

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I'm a savage fan but I haven't bought one in years.

In my opinion their forte is the "cheap but accurate" market, and recently they've been pricing themselves out of that market. I can't fault your logic that they shoot well, but nowadays you can get that cheap with several other makes like the Ruger American. Savage is working against themselves by jacking prices up, they're moving out of their niche.

Two of my prairie dog rifles are Savage M10's so I'm very familiar with them They both have criterion barrels and shoot lights out. That being said, I draw the line at putting a $600 mcmillan on them, that won't happen. They are and always will be inexpensive rifles that shoot well, If I'm going to gussie up a rifle I'm not going to start with a savage. I agree with the poster that said if you want to trick out one with a mcmillan start with a Tikka or something similar.

H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
At what price point is a rifle cheap?

M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
I'm a savage fan but I haven't bought one in years.

In my opinion their forte is the "cheap but accurate" market, and recently they've been pricing themselves out of that market. I can't fault your logic that they shoot well, but nowadays you can get that cheap with several other makes like the Ruger American. Savage is working against themselves by jacking prices up, they're moving out of their niche.

The Savage Axis is the cause of this. When Savage was developing the Axis, they had to hit a price point to undercut the new Mossberg bolt-action that was undercutting their base 110 offerings. To hit that mark Savage had to cut their profit margin on the Axis, so to make up for it they raised their profit margin on the 110-Series rifles. As the Axis took off like wild fire the 110-series sales dropped significantly so Savage developed the new Trophy Hunter line of package rifles that used the cheaper Axis-style DBM's and firing pin assembly. These have a lower profit margin like the Axis rifles, so again they raised the profit margin on the more premium models in the 110-series (Weather Warriors, Classics, FP's, etc) to account for it. This is why their prices have jumped so much on certain models in recent years.

Oddly enough, right now you can buy a Model 12FV Varmint (blued, heavy barrel with synthetic stock) from Cabela's for $369 (MSRP of $698). That's less than a plain old Model 11/111 Hunter Series rifle cost 15 years ago.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Well chit!

First, they told me they can't do the Edge Tech fill on a Savage but they can do the graphite cloth though it's really not worth the extra money to upgrade to the graphite on a Savage because it only saves about 2-4 ounces. So that pretty much killed any weight savings benefit of going with the Compact/Hunters Edge over the Classic or McM Hunter. So I decided to go with the McM Hunter in a standard fill instead...that's when the second wrench came out of no where and hit me upside the head. Seems they don't have the Savage's Lightweight Hunter barrel contour on file yet so they would need me to send my rifle in for them to use as a pattern - and I would get to pay them an additional $56 for the privilege.

The problem with that is 1) the right-hand one in .223 Rem that I presently have is a T&E loaner from Savage, and the Left-hand one I special ordered in .250 Savage probably won't show up here for another 2 months or so. So either I'd have to buy the loaner I have here and ship it out to McMillan or wait until my s/o one shows up to send out to them.

So much for getting the stock ordered early so the wait wouldn't be so long after the rifle arrives.

A few months back I called to order a edge filled stock for a Savage 16 LWH 243, gun shot great but hated the stock. After talking with McMillan I too was told I would be paying $$$ and would not get the weight saving, I sold the LWH 16 and picked up a Kimber Montana in 243...

Ted
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have faced this same dilemma, I ordered a McMillan edge fill stock for my Savage, two months into the wait Rick called and said McMillan no longer makes the Savage stocks with the edge fill.
I cancelled my order because this was to be a lightweight build.
So I contacted Manners and ordered an EH8, well five months into the order they emailed me saying my blank was ready but they couldn't inlet for a Savage?
I emailed them back asking what my alternatives were, couple of weeks later no answer?
So then I called and asked for Robert in customer service, receptionist said he was on another line and could she have him call me back? gave my number and waited, no call?
Tried calling Manners a couple more times during daytime business hours and got an answering machine, I hate to leave messages but I went ahead and left my info.
That was two weeks ago and nothing!
Cant recall ever seeing such poor customer service.
I refuse to do business with companies that provide that level of customer service.

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I bet Rick Steinhour could get a stock fitted to that Savage.

http://extremerifleworks.com/

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pointer,

It appears Rick specializes in MPI stocks. That is my next option I am considering. I bought my first and only MPI in 1985 back then we didnt have many choices.
It was a good serviceable stock and gave me many years of trouble free service.
Maybe it is time to give them another try?

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Why not the Mountain Rifle style?

I really like the McM Hunter style, but wonder if it is too robust a stock for a 20" barrel and might come out butt-heavy like most "as issued" 20" Remington Sevens.

The shortest barrels that I have in McM Hunter styles stocks are 22" Remington 700 LVSF barreled actions and I don't think that they balance quite as well as the 24" 700 CDL-SF and 700 SPS barreled actions.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by irfubar
Pointer,

It appears Rick specializes in MPI stocks. That is my next option I am considering. I bought my first and only MPI in 1985 back then we didnt have many choices.
It was a good serviceable stock and gave me many years of trouble free service.
Maybe it is time to give them another try?

I've never had any work done by Rick. That said, the work I've seen here and elsewhere about his work looks great! He's definitely creative and willing to think out of the box.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Called MPI today and asked how long the wait time was for a stock. They said two to three weeks! Almost fell out of my chair!

Good grief between McMillan and Manners my project has been delayed by 6 months.

Oh and the lady at MPI was friendly and knowledgeable, really knowledgeable, as in she knew her chit.

So I ordered a mountain rifle blank with the ultra light carbon fiber shell. Should weight 16oz before pad and bedding!

By my calculations my Savage should weight 6lbs with a Leupold 6x42. Woohoo

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 1minute, 57 invisible), 2,173 guests, and 1,096 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,111
Posts18,464,361
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.