Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
M
Moby1 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
I recently had a flood in my basement and found a brick of small rifle primers (Federal) sitting in 4 inches of water. I figure they are toast, but before I throw them out, I want to ask the "sages" on here if I was right and they are wasted.

All answers gratefully appreciated.

Patrick

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die,
I want to go where they went."
Will Rogers

And on the 8th day, God created the Border Collie.
GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
When I moved I had some primers in a leaky tote ...they were large pistole....2k of them...
I let them dry and have been using them in 45acp and 44 mag....they have all fired....really don't know how wet the primers actually got but the packages were all stuck together and had to be tor apart to get to the primers...
I would just let them dry and see if they work....I just mad pinker loads with mine to use them up..

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
i once bought several hundred primers at a yard sale. after getting them home noticed water staining on all the boxes primers were dry.
used them for target practice only two misfired. at this late date don't remember how many primers were in that bunch.

Ed

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Many shooters don't realize that most modern primers are sealed against moisture, or even minor amounts of oil. The advice many of us grew up with, or heard from older handloaders, was to keep our fingers scrupulously clean of natural oil, in order to avoid "contaminating" primers when touching them, making them go bad. But it's been quite a while since water or a little oil has affected modern primers. Yet I still know several handloaders who, despite knowing this, wash their hands before a handloading session, to "degrease" them and prevent duds--just as I still know many guys who change the oil in their vehicles every 2000-3000 miles, because that's what they were taught back when motor oils weren't nearly as good as they are today.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
So true, and a compelling reason to update information on a regular basis.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Seems I remember a test where some guy soaked primers in WD-40 and they all went bang...

DF

M
Moby1 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
I just want to thank those people who replied. Thanks especially to Mule Deer for the explanation. I would have thrown out perfectly good primers.

Patrick

Will Rogers

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Just to be sure I'd spread them on a cookie sheet, open side up, in the oven at 300 degrees for a half hour.

Mathew 22: 37-39

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I think I'd just let them air dry for a few days.

I'd be concerned baking them, worrying about that much heat causing damage.

Not sure.

DF

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
cra1948,

Is that your special baking recipe for wet primers?

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
They must be sealed pretty well. Put some in a glass of water for a few days and when loaded they all ignited

Defend the Constitution
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Seems I remember a test where some guy soaked primers in WD-40 and they all went bang...

DF

I would be that guy, or one or em',........ALL Of them sat in WD40 for a weekend,....submerged,....they were then drained on paper shop towel, loaded and fired.
I WOULD be concerned with ACIDS inevitably present in a basement flood destabilizing priming compounds though, and perhaps tipping there sensitivity threshold in the wrong direction.
GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by crossfireoops

DF

I would be that guy, or one or em',........ALL Of them sat in WD40 for a weekend,....submerged,....they were then drained on paper shop towel, loaded and fired.
I WOULD be concerned with ACIDS inevitably present in a basement flood destabilizing priming compounds though, and perhaps tipping there sensitivity threshold in the wrong direction.
GTC

I was impressed enough by that to remember it.

Just because something is intuitive doesn't make it factual, glad you did it.

Washing hands, worried about contaminating primers sorta went out the window with that test.

Another urban myth busted.

DF

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

DF

Yep...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ahhh, free at last, I'm free at last!

I haven't been washing hands my before handling primers, but I do keep a pair of forceps on the bench to pick up stray primers and put them back where they belong. grin

I will probably keep them right where they are, though, as picking them up with my arthritic right hand, and a thumb that no longer works like it is supposed to, is a challenge...

Last edited by mudhen; 07/23/17.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
cra1948,

Is that your special baking recipe for wet primers?

Only when maximum reliability is indicated.

Sometime I'll tell you about my system for reaccurrizing recovered bullets. Also the technique for reusing shotshell wads.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Not trying to rain on your parade, but it seems some things just aren't worth recycling, Shotgun wads and toilet paper are two that come to mine... shocked

DF

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Why take a chance? Primers are cheap and besides, one can get $30 worth of pissed off (at yourself) in no time at all if you end up pulling bullets on several hundred rounds.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Coot, I agree.

I would use such primers for plinking, etc. not for a serious, expensive hunt.

DF

M
Moby1 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Coot, I agree.

I would use such primers for plinking, etc. not for a serious, expensive hunt.

DF

Dirtfarmer:

These are strictly for my .223 I bought to give myself less expensive trigger time at the range (or at least that is what I told my wife whistle).

Patrick

Will Rogers

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Not trying to rain on your parade, but it seems some things just aren't worth recycling, Shotgun wads and toilet paper are two that come to mine... shocked

DF

Don't take it too seriously.... It was all tongue in cheek.

That said, I knew a guy, now deceased, father of a close friend, who'd go out after a trap shoot and pick up used wads to use over again. Really.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by cra1948

DF

That said, I knew a guy, now deceased, father of a close friend, who'd go out after a trap shoot and pick up used wads to use over again. Really.

Now, that's tight..

Hope my toilet paper comment wasn't a part of his efforts. .😳

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If a guy's so tight his ass squeaks when he walks, I'm not sure he'd even need toilet paper.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
After a trap shoot, it wouldn't take much to collect a bunch of wads. I'd do that, if it was easy.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The things you learn on the campfire...

LOL
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by RiverRider
If a guy's so tight his ass squeaks when he walks, I'm not sure he'd even need toilet paper.

That's where the WD 40 comes in! smile

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
[/quote]About 5 years ago I had some bad Remington primers that had damaged the face of 3 bolts. I contacted Remington and told them, which they instructed me to pour all the primers into a glass jar of oil, photograph them, then send the photo to them and they would pay for the repairs and replace the primers.
Never touch primers or get them wet with water or oil is what I was always told.
Below is a portion of I post I made about my experience.

[quoteMy bolts that were damaged by some bad Remington 7 1/2 primers are at Gre'-Tan's being fixed. Today I received a check from Remington for the total amount of the repairs by Gre'-Tan plus the shipping cost. Also, they are drop shipping a case of primers to me to replace the bad ones that I destroyed.

My faith in Remingtons Customer Service is restored and a big thank you to a Mrs/Miss Sandra Strickland for all of her kind help and keeping me informed. I plan on posting this on all of the forums I belong to. Maybe some of you can do the same.

On a side note: I soaked the primers in Quaker State oil for over a week. More like 2 weeks. When burning some trash in my burn barrel I dumped the jar of oil and primers in also. Guess what.............ever darn one of those 6000 plus primers detonated. crazy I didn't think they would.]

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Moby1
I recently had a flood in my basement and found a brick of small rifle primers (Federal) sitting in 4 inches of water. I figure they are toast, but before I throw them out, I want to ask the "sages" on here if I was right and they are wasted.

I'd be inclined to throw them in the trash and spend $40.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

DF

Was his last name Bernstein?

Dave

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The above is a fairly good supply of opinions and fixes. Right now I'm looking at a just-loaded .222 Rem cartridge with a nice big dent in the primer - brand new never-wet CCI #400 primer inserted last night - and it didn't go bang this morning. Its neighbors in the carton worked just fine. Thoughts on that?

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Getting ready to load up some ammo for a trip to Africa for Cape Buffalo.

Fairly certain that I will not be using primers that have been soaked in water, or any other type of fluid, nor extracted from previously primed brass...............

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

DF

Why back when-Used hulls, used shot we scraped up, rinsed off with a hose and dried in the sun. Used wads, the ones that looked fairly good were run thru a dryer cycle and many of them popped back like almost new.

Loaded shell for the cost of a primer which at that time was around $7/thousand. They broke 16-yard targets just fine.

laissez les bons temps rouler
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by battue

DF

Why back when-Used hulls, used shot we scraped up, rinsed off with a hose and dried in the sun. Used wads, the ones that looked fairly good were run thru a dryer cycle and many of them popped back like almost new.

Loaded shell for the cost of a primer which at that time was around $7/thousand. They broke 16-yard targets just fine.

If we could just find a way to reuse powder.....

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
In my early days in ballistics, first time I needed to section a case, I asked one of the guys in the shop to pull a bullet, discard the powder and kill the primer with some oil.

I then took a dremel tool and a cutoff wheel and began sectioning the case. Everything went fine till I got to the primer. It went off, loudly.

My co-worker came running into the shop and I said "I thought you killed the primer with oil". He said he did squirt oil on the primer. There was oil residue in the case so he was not lying.

We both agreed that, with respect to what we had been taught about primers, "The facts are not supportive of the fairy tale".

Laughing, he said "Did it scare you when it went off?"

Damn right it did.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
In my early days in ballistics, first time I needed to section a case, I asked one of the guys in the shop to pull a bullet, discard the powder and kill the primer with some oil.

I then took a dremel tool and a cutoff wheel and began sectioning the case. Everything went fine till I got to the primer. It went off, loudly.

My co-worker came running into the shop and I said "I thought you killed the primer with oil". He said he did squirt oil on the primer. There was oil residue in the case so he was not lying.

We both agreed that, with respect to what we had been taught about primers, "The facts are not supportive of the fairy tale".

Laughing, he said "Did it scare you when it went off?"

Damn right it did.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Baking primers in the oven and throwing 6K of them in the burn barrel, Darwinism's finest at work right there.

M
Moby1 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by Moby1

I'd be inclined to throw them in the trash and spend $40.

Dave

I have already replaced the primers with new ones for any serious shooting . The question was just a matter of interest. I will shoot off a few in unloaded brass, just to satisfy my curiosity.

By the way, in Canada you are looking at more like $75.00 for a brick(Federal), once you have included taxes and shipping.

Again, I would like to thank everyone who took the time to reply. It is appreciated.

Patrick

Will Rogers

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Moby,

I was just being an ass hole. No offense intended.

Dave

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Moby,

Dave

Me too.

M
Moby1 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Moby,

Dave

Me too.

Relax guys, I knew and anyway I have a real thick skin.

Patrick

Will Rogers

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Well in that case GFY.

Clark

M
Moby1 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Well in that case GFY.

Clark

Hey ! I finally got a GFY !

Patrick

Will Rogers

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Congratulations. You are now in the cool clique.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

618 members (10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 19rabbit52, 12344mag, 1936M71, 16penny, 53 invisible), 2,807 guests, and 1,174 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,523
Posts18,452,769
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.