Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
JamesJr;
Top of the morning to you sir, I trust you're having a good summer down in the Bluegrass State.

As my cyber friend Jordan has stated, there's a pretty large variety of handguns that we're able to own - "possess" in Canadian firearm legal jargon. We're only able to shoot them at approved ranges however and there's strict rules for how they're carried to and from those ranges. We're required to have permits for each handgun - "restricted weapon" in jargonese - and they're transported with a lock on them AND in a locked container.

Some types of handgun aren't available for most Canadians to own - these include barrels shorter than 4.25" and handguns in .32 and .25 caliber. Yes of course there were slightly less than zero crimes committed with .25 and .32 caliber handguns, but that didn't stop the all knowing in Ottawa from making them unlawful to possess.

Before leaving that subject, I'm an old guy who has had certain classes of firearm for a long, long time, so I get to be "grandfathered" with some of them. So in fact I would legally be able to possess "prohibited" firearms such as short barreled pistols or revolvers or .32 and .25 caliber ones too. That said, I can't pass them onto my kids who although they've gone through the process of getting a "Restricted Possession/Acquisition Licence" aren't "grandfathered" like I am. Neither is my good wife for that matter because she didn't "possess" any of that class when the fine folks back east decided that type was a threat to public safety.

Hopefully it goes without saying that none of these laws have had any effect whatsoever on the gang bangers when they're procuring arms to have in the event that their "franchising issues" escalate..... which they do from time to time and that's the major cause of shootings in Canada.

Strangely enough, we're perfectly legal packing pump or hinge action shotguns with barrels as short as 10" as long as it's a factory barrel - that is to say not cut down by yourself or a smith - and the overall length of said arm is 26½" long. Lately I've been experimenting with a very light 14" barreled pump gun hanging on a single point sling when packing meat and it's not a terrible compromise I suppose. That said if it was legal I'd absolutely have a Redhawk in a chest holster instead, but I can't so I don't.

Lastly they've just lately lightened up a wee tad on back country carry of heavy revolvers for hunting guides, but as one can imagine its a bit hit and miss whether or not they'll issue a wilderness carry permit to anyone when applying - or so I've been told.

Hope that was somewhat clear, albeit odd in a sad way to read for someone coming from a state like Kentucky. It might make sense to a reader from New Jersey better?

All the best to you and yours this summer.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

GB1

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by gerry35
Originally Posted by Jamesd1187
You are correct in assuming I am fairly young at 28. I handload, so I have that going for me although I'm fairly new to that part of the hobby. I take it that the .300 magnums loaded with 200-220 grain do not equal the on game performance of the various medium bores from the responses here. I suppose a big bore lever could be worth considering as well, there probably aren't many scenarios between 200 and my personal limit of 500 that a 160-175 grain partition from a 7mm rem mag isn't suitable for.

A 300 with 200-220 gr bullets are really good too. I had a 308 Norma Magnum for quite a while and ran the bullets in that range, I'm hoping to add a 300 WSM this year and use the bullets in that range. Still if you handload a 338 WM, 35 Whelen or 9.3x62 would be hard to beat, a powerful lever gun is intriguing as well.

Did you ever run the 30 cal Speer 200 Hot Cor SP? I've been considering that bullet but I've found little testimony of how it holds up or its terminal performance. I have a .30-06 and .300 WSM I'm considering it for. saddlesore seems pleased with the Sierra 220 RN in his .30-06, and I read where BC30cal had less than stellar performance from some older Hornady 220's which surprised me since he wasn't pushing them fast.

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
James, I've made my living in the Yukon guiding hunters, trappers, and anglers for 30 years now. Your 7 mag is a great rifle....it will do anything needed in Yukon except make the legal requirements for bison.....those requirements are dumb IMO.......a good 12 or 20 gauge is nice for birds. We have great upland bird hunting here....I've seen flocks of ptarmigan that easily number in the many hundreds! I never carry or use 223-243 etc. Even on the trapline I prefer a heavy rifle or a 22 ......good luck to you, you are coming to one of the best locations on earth if you like hunting, fishing and the outdoors!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BC30cal
JamesJr;
Top of the morning to you sir, I trust you're having a good summer down in the Bluegrass State.

As my cyber friend Jordan has stated, there's a pretty large variety of handguns that we're able to own - "possess" in Canadian firearm legal jargon. We're only able to shoot them at approved ranges however and there's strict rules for how they're carried to and from those ranges. We're required to have permits for each handgun - "restricted weapon" in jargonese - and they're transported with a lock on them AND in a locked container.

Some types of handgun aren't available for most Canadians to own - these include barrels shorter than 4.25" and handguns in .32 and .25 caliber. Yes of course there were slightly less than zero crimes committed with .25 and .32 caliber handguns, but that didn't stop the all knowing in Ottawa from making them unlawful to possess.

Before leaving that subject, I'm an old guy who has had certain classes of firearm for a long, long time, so I get to be "grandfathered" with some of them. So in fact I would legally be able to possess "prohibited" firearms such as short barreled pistols or revolvers or .32 and .25 caliber ones too. That said, I can't pass them onto my kids who although they've gone through the process of getting a "Restricted Possession/Acquisition Licence" aren't "grandfathered" like I am. Neither is my good wife for that matter because she didn't "possess" any of that class when the fine folks back east decided that type was a threat to public safety.

Hopefully it goes without saying that none of these laws have had any effect whatsoever on the gang bangers when they're procuring arms to have in the event that their "franchising issues" escalate..... which they do from time to time and that's the major cause of shootings in Canada.

Strangely enough, we're perfectly legal packing pump or hinge action shotguns with barrels as short as 10" as long as it's a factory barrel - that is to say not cut down by yourself or a smith - and the overall length of said arm is 26½" long. Lately I've been experimenting with a very light 14" barreled pump gun hanging on a single point sling when packing meat and it's not a terrible compromise I suppose. That said if it was legal I'd absolutely have a Redhawk in a chest holster instead, but I can't so I don't.

Lastly they've just lately lightened up a wee tad on back country carry of heavy revolvers for hunting guides, but as one can imagine its a bit hit and miss whether or not they'll issue a wilderness carry permit to anyone when applying - or so I've been told.

Hope that was somewhat clear, albeit odd in a sad way to read for someone coming from a state like Kentucky. It might make sense to a reader from New Jersey better?

All the best to you and yours this summer.

Dwayne

Thanks for clueing me in. It would seem to me that it wouldn't hurt a thing to allow a trapper, a hunting guide, or someone living in a remote area to pack a handgun when out and about. I carry one just about all the time here, and I don't have to worry about a bear, just some thug wanting what I've got. Anyway, the law is what it is, regardless of where you live, and you learn to get along with it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Gringo Loco
Originally Posted by Jamesd1187
You are correct in assuming I am fairly young at 28. I handload, so I have that going for me although I'm fairly new to that part of the hobby. I take it that the .300 magnums loaded with 200-220 grain do not equal the on game performance of the various medium bores from the responses here. I suppose a big bore lever could be worth considering as well, there probably aren't many scenarios between 200 and my personal limit of 500 that a 160-175 grain partition from a 7mm rem mag isn't suitable for.

A 300 with 200-220 gr bullets are really good too. I had a 308 Norma Magnum for quite a while and ran the bullets in that range, I'm hoping to add a 300 WSM this year and use the bullets in that range. Still if you handload a 338 WM, 35 Whelen or 9.3x62 would be hard to beat, a powerful lever gun is intriguing as well.

Did you ever run the 30 cal Speer 200 Hot Cor SP? I've been considering that bullet but I've found little testimony of how it holds up or its terminal performance. I have a .30-06 and .300 WSM I'm considering it for. saddlesore seems pleased with the Sierra 220 RN in his .30-06, and I read where BC30cal had less than stellar performance from some older Hornady 220's which surprised me since he wasn't pushing them fast.

I used the older style 2 core version on the 200 gr Speer G.S. which were good bullets. and also the 220 gr Nosler partition which were also good. I never tried the 200 gr Hot Cor but it does look to be worth a try, not sure of how the current Grand Slam's work since they changed the design and made it a heavy jacketed Hot Cor. Another one I liked is the 200 gr Accubond.

Gerry.
IC B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I used the older style 2 core version on the 200 gr Speer G.S. which were good bullets. and also the 220 gr Nosler partition which were also good. I never tried the 200 gr Hot Cor but it does look to be worth a try, not sure of how the current Grand Slam's work since they changed the design and made it a heavy jacketed Hot Cor. Another one I liked is the 200 gr Accubond.

Thanks gerry35. Speer doesn't offer a 200 Grand Slam anymore. They top out at 180 now. Speer 30 Cal Bullets.

Here's an article from the American Rifleman on Speer Bullets. Link to Article: Revisiting Speer's Big-Game Bullets...Rifleman - Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Excerpt from the article describing the Grand Slam:

With the exception of those in .24 and .25 caliber, which always featured a one-piece core, original Grand Slam bullets had a two-piece core with the rear being harder than the front. Now, Grand Slams feature a three-component core that is poured into the gilding-metal jacket and flows into a heel pocket. Essentially, the Hot-Cor process, along with the added mechanical lock (at the heel) and thick shank, results in 80 to 85 percent weight retention. Internal fluting makes upset possible at a wide range of velocities, and a higher ballistic coefficient than Mag-Tip slightly flattens trajectory. Grand Slams have a cannelure for applying a crimp and are suitable for the largest game in a given cartridge’s application; however, with the enhanced performance comes a significant increase in price.

Just a note. The BC Speer lists for the 30 cal 200 gr SP online is wrong. They show .556, but Speer #14 Reloading Manual shows it to be .478 which is believable for a flat base SP.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
You lucky Dog. I have guided in Alaska for two seasons so somewhat applicable. As others have said I would concentrate on fishing gear and maybe a freighter canoe.

I carried both a 7RM and riot shot gun and occasionally a 45 Colt side arm but in a chest holster to fit over waders better. Only when I was in the thick riverside Alders did I wish for a .375 H&H. The rifle I would get Cerro Coated or better yet Melonite treatment. My rifle was always getting wet in the boat or the rain, it was stock factory but all exposed wood was sloshed with Spar Varnish and everything was heavily waxed and it worked fine. The shot gun which we carried into salt water as well was Parkerized and coated with Rig and it looked like hell but always functioned. Some had the silver Mossbergs (Chromed?) and they did well.

But I also second the vote on a light weight all around rifle. Muskeg, Tundra and Snow can make you feel like your wearing lead boots pretty quick not to mention the mountains. Since in most locations you want to have a fire arm on you at all times a light weight or carbine type makes sense. My choice would be a stainless Barret or NULA with the oxide finish but there are many other good choices like Rem., Tikka, Kimber etc.

I would carry a 12 wt. for Sheefish and Kings, an 8 or 9 wt. for other salmon, big trout and Dollies and then a five weight for grayliing and the sub trophy sized trout. If you don't fly fish now would be a good time to consider taking it up.

Best of luck to you and enjoy things while you can.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
You could do a lot worse than a 98 Mauser in 35 Whelen, a 10-22 Ruger and an 870 Remington in 12 gauge

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by blanket
You could do a lot worse than a 98 Mauser in 35 Whelen, a 10-22 Ruger and an 870 Remington in 12 gauge

I wholly agree.

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
One thing I would add....gunsmiths are few and far between up here. I know of one and from what Ive been told he only does minor repairs. So rugged and reliable is the name of the game up here. I personally prefer CRF Rugers since they make a lot of left hand guns. Winchester is another solid choice. I have seen to many Remingtons fail in my 30 year guiding career to recommend them. Zastava makes a good solid rifle as well, and their prices are hard to beat. Right now you can get a brand new one at Tradex Canada for under $800 CAD!

IC B3

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
will have a few left handed zastavas on my tables tomorrow at the gun show ....

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by yukonphil
gun shows are more common than gunsmiths, nice touch hawker

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by yukonphil

I won't be in town for the gun show, can you PM me a list of left handed calibers you have on hand?

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Seems like a stainless Ruger in either 30-06/200 Partition or 338/225 Partition would do any and all things that need getting done in the Yukon. Skip the lightweight, do I need this or that specialty gun?, and get down to one good rifle that is "medium" in all ways (weight, scoping, bullets, chambering, etc).

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just one...

Drilling with a 2-7 scope in claw mounts and chambered 12/12/9.3X74R...and a 22LR insert for grouse potting.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

507 members (12344mag, 16penny, 160user, 17CalFan, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 39 invisible), 1,804 guests, and 1,119 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,230
Posts18,447,730
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.