Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
i still have my whitetail hunter. My first bow a a Bear Kodiak magnum.

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I used my father's fiberglass longbow for several years before I got one of my own. It too was a Bear. A 35lbs recurve with which I took several deer before my school decided every kid had to take a mandatory Phys ed course (archery) .
It was 20yard shooting with 25lb recurve.
They wouldn't listen when I told them this was useless, and so I brought my bow, second day, and tested out with a few broken shafts stacked too tight. (They finally agreed they couldn't teach me anything I didn't already know.)
My dad was so proud, he bought me a compound for my 16th birthday present. An Indian Stalker 45-55lb, I still use. In fact, I now have a second set up for a guest with a loop for a release (I've never used one).
The guest bow has sights, unlike my own. I shoot instinctive, and differently than most folks. I've never really understood the drive for the latest and greatest (gun/bow/crossbow/knife) They are just tools of the craftsman.
That tool that was "top shelf" then, is still quality, even if the bar has been raised. I'm appalled sometimes, by the casting off of last year's model, in favor for this year's marvel.
(Case in point):....."So the switchback was way ahead of its competitors. The halon is maybe not "ahead" as much as it is perfection of past advancements in technology.
I have said this on many other threads, it is flat out the most perfect compound bow made to date by any manufacturer. Not to say some of the other bows this year aren't awesome as well."....(from reviews of talon vs mathews switchback 2016).
They all work well enough to do the job. Even a bent sapling and a bootlace will throw an arrow well enough to kill deer. It worked 30 years ago, it will work now.
The rest is up to the archer.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I remember buying am oneida eagle when they first came out. It was so much faster than anything else. 240 fps. lol.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Oneidas are quick. But string overtravel means hefty spine needed, which slows em down.
Did shove a log pretty well though smile

I had a Screaming Eagle, Strike Eagle and two Aeroforces. Fun rigs, def like the smaller pylon stuff better, but grip too fat.
Later timing wheels of the Aero nicer than the Strike.

Like to try a LFM.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
First bow was a Bear Whitetail II 1985

Same here.

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Hey Hookeye, I remember buying those "fluted arrows" that were stiffer than the normal aluminum arrows......lol. The old eagles looked delicate but they were pretty tough. 48 inches tip to tip........

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I remember those fluted aluminums (X caliber ?)........they still got bent......weren't fun on a straightener (dial indicator LOL).
Also remember the Graphlex fiberglass shafts...........rough bastids.
Actually got some with a used Superdiablo recurve purchase.

I ran XX75, Jim Dougherty naturals and supernaturals.
Tried making woodies for my Blackwidow MA2...........screwed up and discovered a "bleed crest". Looked cool w white dip and fletch combo. Couple yrs later I see that offered LOL (bleed crest).

Had a super dozen, and broke 3 stumping...........so sold all my arrow making stuff. No more cedars.

I run Goldtip carbons on wheels or trad anymore, have since 2002.

On old classics running TM hunter style rests (like maybe a PSE Mach 4)...........larger OD arrows gave more space between fletching. Not a bad thing.

5/16 carbons (yeah they make larger dia versions).........not as forgiving IMHO.
Eh, run a drop away if shooting wheels n release.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Too bad the new Oneida Osprey only goes to 50#. If they went 60# I'd proly have one.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Anyone remember the original Keller Pendulum sight? I had one when they first came out and it worked great Lol. I shot a bunch of deer with that sight. It was way ahead of all the other pendulum sights......

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Brother in law still has one on his PSE.

IC B3

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Remember Keller's ad where he had all those mounts and a Blackwidow recurve?
Or when he teamed with Indian (Xi) later and they had the Myles Keller Legend Magnum bow (actually was decent).

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (12344mag, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 42 invisible), 2,694 guests, and 1,161 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,511
Posts18,452,647
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.