-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Been getting up before daylight, driving to a friends farm, and shooting as soon as we can see the targets. Once the sun comes up over the tree line, the wind usually starts blowing and it get hot. 95 this morning at 10 am... 98 @ 2 pm

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
GB1

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Haven't set up a range at the new digs yet for rifles but the past two weeks I have went out with one handgun or the other for at least a few shots. Trying to get back in the habit of taking at least a few shots everyday.

At the old house I could stretch a cord out of the garage and set up a fan to blow on me while shooting. Nice when it was hot like this. In the winter I could go inside one of my outbuilding which was heated and shoot out the window to 48 yards. Gonna miss that.

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Don't have the opportunity to hunt PD's anymore and don't hunt in this type of heat. So, for me,
what's to accomplish? I now look at anything above 80* or below 20* as a time to clean rifles,
reload, etc., waiting it out for more decent shooting conditions. RF barrels don't suffer from this
kind of heat too much, but CF barrels are HOT after four or five shots. Same with my smokeless
ML barrels, and they're not going to shoot the same POI when it cools down. Again, what's to
accomplish?

We should change our politicians
like we change dirty diapers....
and for the same reason.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Well it's suppose to be really nice out this coming weekend but the wife and I are joining two other couples for a weekend of boating and drinking. I figured that's a plausible excuse for not going out shooting. Finialy a break in this heat but it sure looks too late to correct the drought damage across the Midwest.

Last edited by JimHnSTL; 07/25/17.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Between yesterday and today I burned about 500 rounds. Probably more.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
Travis, Targets, varmints or both ???? We shot a few p.dogs yesterday.. Loaded some ammo for sighting in and testing this morn, just as I finished the rain came.. First we have had in mths.. So I can't complain.. Tomorrow...

Molon Labe
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Just targets, WCH.

My dad is in town so we burned a bunch of powder.

Dave

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by deflave
Yes. Because nobody else wants to.

I'll take 100 degrees over 100 a-holes 10 times out of 10.

Dave

January and February are my favorite months at the range. When the snow is just about bench height, I have the quiet in between shots all to myself.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I be chasin' bitches and dogs in those months!

Dave

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I have a Ruger "Great Eight" to mess with.
Have yet to figure out what RDS will sit on top.
Bushnell TRS 25 is decent, but small tube I dislike at pistol length. Up close to the eye, might make for a decent plinker (the witch has one on her 10/22).
Had an Aimpoint clone 30mm that was great on my TC.
Just wish the TRS25 was a TRS28 LOL.

If I can find a Bushnell Trophy 2X I'll proly just go that route. Finer aiming point might be needed if this pig shoots decent.

IC B3

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I have a Ruger "Great Eight" to mess with.
Have yet to figure out what RDS will sit on top.
Bushnell TRS 25 is decent, but small tube I dislike at pistol length. Up close to the eye, might make for a decent plinker (the witch has one on her 10/22).
Had an Aimpoint clone 30mm that was great on my TC.
Just wish the TRS25 was a TRS28 LOL.

If I can find a Bushnell Trophy 2X I'll proly just go that route. Finer aiming point might be needed if this pig shoots decent.

Yanked the Leupold 2-7X reg off my Anschtuz 184 and put a 4X rimfire Leupold on it. Gotta zero that thing in.
Plus remove a little from Overton stock's forend...........reduce pressure on bbl, see how that does on the '67 10/22 standard.

The ol lady's 10/22 is some grey lam 50th anniv deal she picked up. No doubt she will shoot mine and then want Volq parts in her trigger group.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Cooler weekend, think I might work sat and sun. Miss range day............but kids college books aint cheap (what a racket).

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Spent about 5 hours at the range yesterday. The wife is finishing her masters and it's a lot easier for her and me and the kids, if me and the kids ain't at home when she's doing school work. The kids wanted to go to the grandparent's so I dropped them off and went to the range. I took a boatload of rimfire rifles and shot until I was tired of shooting. I got tired of shooting shortly after about 20 guys showed up, all waiting on another guy to show up with all of his full autos...

There was probably $80K - $90K in machine guns and they blasted through at least $2K in ammo while I was packing up my stuff. They were having lots of fun and I can't complain, but it did suck having to wear the extra ear pro. Probably wouldn't of sucked so badly if I'd been offered the chance to shoot some of them, especially the MP-5...

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Shot an IPSC match yesterday then shot my Buckmark with a newly added TandemKross compensator just to see if it made a difference and it did.

Went back out today for just a couple of hours shooting 9's and 38's, don't know why I didn't just stay in the a/c and surf the net this weekend. But it did cool off to the low 90's...

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
My shooting this summer at Phoenix Rod and Gun has included a 115 degree day.

To avoid 100+ is to quit at Easter here. I cool the barrel with ice water, applied via a soaking rag. But hey, there it is a covered bench.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Went out this past weekend with the temp about 90 but with enough humidity for a heat index around 100 testing loads for a 25/06, a 22/250, a 222 Rem mag, a Remington 541-S and a 44 mag so I had enough guns to rotate. It did take a while for the 25/06 to cool between strings. I drank about a quart of water in the meantime. It was worth it; got a couple of groups with the 25/06 of just over 1/2" and some groups with the 222 Mag of around 1/3"... I'll take it.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Well this past weekend the temps were delightful but I was no where near a range.spent the entire weekend drinking and swimming with close friends. I plan on getting out soon and do some much needed range time.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona
My shooting this summer at Phoenix Rod and Gun has included a 115 degree day.

To avoid 100+ is to quit at Easter here. I cool the barrel with ice water, applied via a soaking rag. But hey, there it is a covered bench.

Sorry about this -- I forgot it was the rimfire forum. I do shot a rimfire in the heat, but only cool the barrel of my center fires.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

been very hot here in Podunk.........get no enjoyment shootin' dogs in the heat........

finally getting some mid 50* nights & monsoon rains........

September is near..........

Last edited by tikkanut; 08/10/17.

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
We've had some weekend days starting in the early sixties, so I've been getting to the range early, early, early and getting my powder-burning fix early in the day. I can usually get the work done (zero-ing) before another shooter shows up.

Lately, I've been working the rimfires pretty hard, but did check zero on the old Marlin .30/30 the last time I went to the range. Easy-peasy, not too greasy.

Found out that my little Ruger RAR wants a clean barrel or extraction will suffer, too. Harrumph.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (1_deuce, 1OntarioJim, 224th, 222Sako, 204guy, 222ND, 40 invisible), 1,985 guests, and 1,108 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,067
Posts18,463,501
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.