Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
[quote=m77]The old tang safety rifles had match barrels that would put most Kriegers to shame. Simply remove the pressure point in the barrel channel, glass bed the action and load some Sierras and you will be astounded.

That might be the funniest post I've read in a LONG LONG LONG time.... put a Krieger to shame...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Oh yeah, care to answer why when Ruger offered and gave the US Palma team( you know what they shoot right?) free rifles, they found, IIRC, that 2 of 14 barely shot well enough to make the cut.....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I reviewed the Mark 11's when released and they shot very well to the point I tried additional rifles to confirm the results.

They have become a very good product.

Last edited by AussieGunWriter; 06/13/17.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I have two tangs- one in '06 with a 17 inch bbl (had to lop a few inches off to get rid of the unsightly muzzle bulge).. I bought it for $80. After tweaking (bedding, factory- trigger, free-floating, it will shoot as many as you want into 1.25 at 100. First thing I killed with it was a Dall ram at about 330 yards.It has killed literally tons of game.

After same tweaking, the .338, with certain hand loads will go MOA with the Hornady 250 RN, or inch at 200 with SGK 250 hand loads, neck sized, head spaced on the shoulder.

I just wish they would shoot..... smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by rost495
[quote=m77]The old tang safety rifles had match barrels that would put most Kriegers to shame. Simply remove the pressure point in the barrel channel, glass bed the action and load some Sierras and you will be astounded.

That might be the funniest post I've read in a LONG LONG LONG time.... put a Krieger to shame...

rost, the dude has 690 posts. Any opinion he espouses must be absolute truth!

IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Seafire
People who say Rugers won't shoot evidently don't own any....

or they are lousy shots... even with other brands of rifles...

I've owned a bunch of Ruger tang safety 77's over the years. The worst was a .308 Win 77-RSI that wouldn't put three inside of 2" no matter what I tried. Then I discovered that the stock was cracked lengthwise under the action. Sent stock to Ruger, they sent a replacement. Instead of putting it on the action, I bought a Brown Precision Classic for it, bedded it, and shot it again. No joy! No improvement.
Then, I learned that you could spin the barrel off, ship the receiver to Ruger and have them put a new barrel on for less than $200.00. So I did, and it came back with a hammer forged barrel. Put that in the stock and it was now an honest 1MOA shooter that my SIL owns.

So, the moral of the story is, if your Ruger won't shoot, either you're a crappy shot or you need to send it back to Ruger and have them put a new tube on it.
As much as we would like it, Ruger still can't help it if you're a crappy shot. grin

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've had lousy shooting tang safety Rugers. The worst was one I wanted to love in the worst way. It had been slimmed down to a schnable fore end, and reamed to 250 AI. Oh how I wanted that rifle to shoot, but it simply would not.

LOL
m77 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by GeorgiaBoy

rost, the dude has 690 posts. Any opinion he espouses must be absolute truth!

I posted it on the 1st of April for a reason grin

m77 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

I laughed at myself when I wrote that! I think I deserve some credit for an April fools joke lasting this long grin

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
My 77st 30/06 has about 5000 rounds through it. I took 5 rds of 1969 lake city match ammo out to my lasered 811 yard range. The first hit at bottom of the steel plate and a sight adjustment was made. The last 4 went into 8" group.

Last edited by ba_50; 08/10/17.
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My 1976 tang safety 7mm RM has been glass bedded had a trigger job and a custom muzzle brake (gunsmithing was a surprise gift from the wife) and is the most accurate hunting rifle I've ever shot. 3 shot groups you could cover with a dime using 150 NBT are common at 100 yards. Killed a. Nice boar at 513 with holdover in a 15 mph crosswind. Tried it at 1000 yards with just holdover and no reference first shot missed the plate by 1' 3rd shot hit the 1'x2' steel. I have since put a conquest with Z600 reticle on it and 600 yard targets are routine for the old girl.

Dad's old 30-06 tanger is the opposite end of the accuracy spectrum - Softball sized groups with everything.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

431 members (12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 39 invisible), 2,013 guests, and 1,092 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,603
Posts18,454,746
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.