Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Harder expanding bullets on deer is a step in the wrong direction.....

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Agreed beretz. I am very impressed with accubond bullets too.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Over bulleting?

Maybe its using cup and core bullet 50-150 grs. more and jumping up calibers to do the work a little mono does with less powder, more velocity is the definition of "over bulleting".

Ive stated a few times Id take a 22 CF over our required big fat shotguns here any day of the week.

One could translate that as trading a 22 for a 30 caliber deer rifle.

Id bet a sugar cookie the price of a 223 loaded with a Barnes is cheaper than a 308 with a Power Point or whatever....

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Gringo Loco
[Linked Image]PA130001 by Steve Zihn, on Flickr

Originally Posted by szihn
The old Remington CLs from the 60s and 70s were outstanding, in the examples I have used. However I have used their 100 grain 257 10 years ago and found it to be nothing more than a varmint bullets with extremely poor penetration on Antelope does.

Remington really dropped the ball when they stopped selling all their bullets on the hand-loaders market in my opinion. Here is a picture of a 150 grain 270 CL bullet purchased about 1972 next to a new 8MM 200 grain Speer bullet. As you can see the old CL has about 1/2 of it's diameter from jacket and 1/2 from core. In my opinion, all big game bullets should have thick jackets on their shanks with the ogive being drawn thinner and thinner towards the nose.

I'm curious if the lead core of those two bullets are of equal hardness/toughness. If, for instance, the Speer has a tougher lead core, then that could compensate to a degree for a thinner jacket.

Scenars have a thin jacket. but are tougher than Bergers, kill with authority.

Check out Pat (Scenarshooter) and the list of photos of Scenar killed critters he's posted over the years. (Hope he wasn't using Photobucket).

So, the hardness of the alloy is a big deal.

DF

Mjduct Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by HawkI
Over bulleting?

Maybe its using cup and core bullet 50-150 grs. more and jumping up calibers to do the work a little mono does with less powder, more velocity is the definition of "over bulleting".

I ddn't state my question well enough, but basically in .308 going from 165gr. C&C's to similar weight mono's and seeing them used primarily for much larger critters. the suggstions in this thread to go down in weight and up in velicity with the mono's is golden. I'm gonna do that just gotta find a load

Last edited by Mjduct; 07/23/17.
IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Barnes has a very good load data section on their web site.

DF

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Go as light as they make and fling them like a varmint load then.

For deer sized stuff going to smaller calibers at higher velocities gives one pause towards "overbulleting".

People were debating similar things 100 years ago; the old ways worked, but so did the new ones, with some advantages.

I guess it isnt as much for the OP as it is for the modern day cup and core, traditional deer cartridge fan.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
i used to think bigger the bullet.now i have changed.use smaller caliber,faster speed .anyways shot place kills. 220 swift will kill anything.now this will start a agreement.fast bullet small grain.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
What's over bulleting... Light and fast $2 a pop or simple heavy cup and core?

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes

IC B3

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by Mjduct
Originally Posted by smokepole

By moving from traditional old tech bulllets to copper solids in these versatile middle calibers to I risk punching clear through smaller deer becaue the Bullets are too tough? .

Don't we risk punching clear through smaller deer with any bullet? Why is that a problem?

I prefer 2 holes for blood exiting, but I'd also like the bullet to expand and deposit some energy in the animal, cause some additional tissue damage and put it down more efficiently.

SSTs will definitely do that!

I'm using 150 SuperPerformance SST in my .30-06 on caribou. (Going to try GMX this season, just for grins)

Factory Corelokts (which I was using for caribou before switching to SP for flatter trajectory) and Interlocks are fine also. Premiums for deer are a needless expense. Premiums for most shots at any game are a needless expense in most cases, IMO, but that's just me.

The two places I will still consider a premiumin my own shooting life is if it shoots significantly better than C&C in that rifle, or if the caliber is a bit on the light side for intended game. For example, a .260 on moose or elk, tho that 140 Corelokt did a DRT on the only elk I have ever shot, and I'd use it in a heartbeat with no worries on a moose. And hope to.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by smokepole

By moving from traditional old tech bulllets to copper solids in these versatile middle calibers to I risk punching clear through smaller deer becaue the Bullets are too tough? .

Don't we risk punching clear through smaller deer with any bullet? Why is that a problem?

I prefer 2 holes for blood exiting, but I'd also like the bullet to expand and deposit some energy in the animal, cause some additional tissue damage and put it down more efficiently.

SSTs will definitely do that!

I'm using 150 SuperPerformance SST in my .30-06 on caribou. (Going to try GMX this season, just for grins)

Factory Corelokts (which I was using for caribou before switching to SP for flatter trajectory) and Interlocks are fine also. Premiums for deer are a needless expense. Premiums for most shots at any game are a needless expense in most cases, IMO, but that's just me.

The two places I will still consider a premium in my own shooting life is if it shoots significantly better than C&C in that rifle, or if the caliber is a bit on the light side for intended game. For example, a .260 on moose or elk, tho that 140 Corelokt did a DRT on the only elk I have ever shot, and I'd use it in a heartbeat with no worries on a moose. And hope to.

There is a third reason for using premiums, and that is if you want to. Hence the GMX above.... smile

Last edited by las; 08/03/17.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Maybe 35-40 years ago, a buddy decided to scrap the 100gr Sierras he was using and went to a Nosler Partition in his BDL 25-06. Can't recall now if it was a 115 or 117gr version?

He shot a decent buck for the time, early on opening morning. Buck went down, he was happy. Buck got back up again within seconds, ran off down the mountain and someone else nailed it. Went down to figure out what had happened. Near's he cold sort out, his shot had gone straight through, hit no vitals.

First and last experience with a Partition on our smallish white tails, for him.

Many years later, lent my M700 25-06 to another friend, so his wife could use it on an Idaho black bear hunt. He decided she needed more rifle than her 243, despite her having killed bears in PA and Canada with it. So he loaded up Partitions for her to use in my 25-06. She hit a bear three times, bear continued on its way. Cowboy guide finished it off for her with his rifle. When they skint the bear, all three of her shots were pass throughs.

I've heard lots of good experiences with Partitions over the years, in one cartridge or another. For PA whitetails and my 25-06s, I prefer a Nosler Btip in their 100gr offering. Ain't lost one yet, most keeled over where they'd stood or walked, when hit.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
So is it over kill to shoot a deer with a rifle that is over bulleted, over scoped and over stocked? And will that bullet over penetrate if it's over stabilized? crazy

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Yes to all. And not only that, the deer will be overly dead.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
If I could put a little less lead in the environment I would prefer to do so...

Where do you reckon that lead came from before it ended up in that copper jacket?

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide

Where do you reckon that lead came from before it ended up in that copper jacket?

From his birth planet, uranus. grin

Trump Won!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by dubePA
Maybe 35-40 years ago, a buddy decided to scrap the 100gr Sierras he was using and went to a Nosler Partition in his BDL 25-06. Can't recall now if it was a 115 or 117gr version?

He shot a decent buck for the time, early on opening morning. Buck went down, he was happy. Buck got back up again within seconds, ran off down the mountain and someone else nailed it. Went down to figure out what had happened. Near's he cold sort out, his shot had gone straight through, hit no vitals.

First and last experience with a Partition on our smallish white tails, for him.

Many years later, lent my M700 25-06 to another friend, so his wife could use it on an Idaho black bear hunt. He decided she needed more rifle than her 243, despite her having killed bears in PA and Canada with it. So he loaded up Partitions for her to use in my 25-06. She hit a bear three times, bear continued on its way. Cowboy guide finished it off for her with his rifle. When they skint the bear, all three of her shots were pass throughs.

I've heard lots of good experiences with Partitions over the years, in one cartridge or another. For PA whitetails and my 25-06s, I prefer a Nosler Btip in their 100gr offering. Ain't lost one yet, most keeled over where they'd stood or walked, when hit.
Unless its a matter of running 100 yards and its in the neighbors in a few seconds and they shoot it again, to claim it, then bullets above noted are not hitting vitals.

if thats the case, MZ shooters of old and new with simple round balls could never kill anything as their bullets never exploded into the deer....

3 shots on the bear evidently were not where they should have been. And one shot on the deer was not where it should have been. Pretty simple actually. I'd hunt deer with a 22lr if it was legal, they are not hard to kill. I kill feral hogs with a 22 all the time, these up to around 250 ish pounds so far....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide

I see your point and personally I don't worry about the small amount of lead from the bullets I shoot. Lots of that is caught in the berms at the local range. And the amount that goes into the environment from hunting is miniscule.

But to answer your question, the lead originally came from a lead mine. Many of which were abandoned and were/are environmental disasters. Some ended up on the Superfund list, and many still aren't cleaned up. The ones that have been cleaned up have cost a lot of money.

Along with lead smelters and battery recyclers (also "where lead comes from"), lots of problems caused by lead contamination in the environment, and some of those ended up on the Superfund list too..

A wise man is frequently humbled.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I came to the dance late, and went back to the first page to see where it started. When talking of pigs as big and tough, my go to pig gun is a 1950 Savage model R in 250 with a 2-7 Redfield. On our first pig hunt the guide said he used a 243 for pigs and with the smaller bullet, he just shot them in the head. He said you can't miss, it's the size of a watermelon. My first was a 220 pounder, shot behind the left ear, bang-flop. The second was 150, shot in the left eye, bang-flop. I use factory Remington 100gr CL. As it's been said, if the bullet goes where it's supposed to, game over, Joe.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

68 members (ATC, 808outdoors, 10gaugemag, 444Matt, 11 invisible), 2,204 guests, and 730 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,670
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.