Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have the LCP Custom with a Hogue slip on grip, no issues hitting accurately at the range a 2.75" barreled 380 will likely to be used.

Dave

GB1

Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by Zerk
Only gun I ever got rid of.

I though it shot fine, and easy. But FTF. I sent it to Ruger, they said it was fine, and 4 failures in 400 was acceptable. Not in self defense gun, to me. Maybe I was limp wrising it. Dunno. But doesn't change the fact I could not depend on it. Got it back, first time out with Hornady or Corbon CD, jammed. Never fired it again. I liked the size. But bought a J frame

Ruger forums have threads about different springs. Self defense is not the place to try something, for me.

Have you considered the possibility of being a dumb fugk?

Dave

On many occasions.

By I demand relabiity from a self defense gun. When ruger tech said 4 jams in 400 was acceptable, I pretty much knew that was it. Then it jammed again on premium ammo.

What would you do?

J frame is one less shot, and a little bulkier. But will always go off.

Some people think the small light semi autos are more prone to this problem.

Even if it was operator error, and limp wristing it, it was unreliable. I don't think I was though. I havea 15 round glock for coke buys.

D
djb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Love my LCP. Incredibly accurate and reliable little package. Handguns will show shooting flaws much more so than rifles IMHO. The smaller the handgun or large the round, the more apparent the flaw becomes.

The truth angers those whom it does not convince
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Ruger LCP:
Originally Posted by rainierrifleco
What a pile of garbage . . .

I know what you're sayin' . . .
I have the same problem with Glocks!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Recycling another old post.

Rat gun review

Just upgraded from a Kel-Tec P32 to a Ruger LCP .380 yesterday. If the K-T is a mouse gun then this one at least deserves to be called a rat gun.

Local store had them for $199, they were supposed to call me when they got this shipment in but I kind of figured they wouldn't. Anyway, stopped by yesterday and they had one left, so I grabbed it. Also got a box of whatever they had for cheap ammo, which was Aguila 95 FMJ. Took the new pistol out this morning to function test and see where it was hitting. Bottom line is - I like it.

Didn't do any prep or cleaning prior to shooting, just took it out of the box, ran a patch of lighter fluid down the bore to remove any oil and went shooting.

The top target shows the very first 12 rounds through the brand new pistol, fired two handed offhand from 7 yards, 6:00 o'clock hold. Even though I was "aiming", that group was fired without aid of my eyeglasses so the sights were just a blur. I put the middle blur in between the two outer blurs and squeezed. POI is just a wee bit right but elevation is spot on. Probably could tighten that up with a clear sight picture and resting on bags but for the intended use of the pistol I wanted to see how well I could hit without artificial aids, like say I wasn't wearing glasses or they got knocked off somehow. As it is, give me a second to find the front and rear sights and it shoots just where it should.

Functioning was perfect through these first 50 rounds, no failures to feed, fire, extract or eject at all. Recoil was obviously snappier than the little .32 K-T but not harsh at all. Trigger pull is nice for a pistol of this type, long and clean but not as long as the K-T. Ejected cases went everywhere, up, right, left, front, back, a couple even went straight up and hit me on the head. I found most of them in a 180 degree semi-circle to my right but some were to the rear and left. Oh, well.

After a few rounds to familiarize myself with the trigger pull I tried really fast shooting, the results are shown on the bottom target here. Didn't prep the gun position, it was picked up fast from the bench or plucked out of various pockets, no aiming at all since my eyes were on the "threat", not the sights. Just grab it as fast as (safely) possible and bangbang! double tap. Again, no eyeglasses except the plastic shooting glasses.

The first thing I found was using two hands put most shots way right, a couple even missed the target backer. But shooting one handed put the shots straight out and dead on for elevation or just a tad low. Started by looking at the 6:00 o'clock position again and those are the shots in the white below the bullseye. After a few of those I figured it's probably better to look at the center of the round blur and those are mostly the shots in the black.

Not going to win any alphabet matches with this, but that's not its use. As long as I can keep my eyes on someone's chest it will keep all shots in a kill zone at 7 yards when drawing from various locations and shooting as fast as I can and that's all it needs to do.

Even taking a half second to see the front blur (aka front sight) somewhere in relation to the round blur out there helped immensely for accuracy, but it's good to know it shoots where I'm looking whether I use the sights or not.

Nothing special about this, certainly not a pretty firearm by any means, just a plain jane Ruger LCP. I can only speak for this one example, but for the use such a firearm might be put to, this one is definitely a good'un.

[Linked Image]

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by rainierrifleco
What a pile of garbage..

My dad being a cheap Azz bought one.....we were going to test it by shooting some holes in the bottom of.a burn barrel...I couldn't believe it we couldn't hid it barrel concistantly....now this is a 2 ft circle like 10 paces away......I do get it it's a belly gun bu good grief how sloppy does it have to be made to shoot that bad....

Mine is more than accurate enough for its purpose.

Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
Ya I though mine was good at 7 paces. Also it is a self defense gun, not a target gun.

But if you can't hit a 2 foot target at 10 paces, might just need some practice.

Lots of people complain that it hurt their hands. Which I found wussy. I would do 50-100, just stopping, cause I didn't want to spend anymore. But some people take like a few shots and they are sore for days.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just got back from doing another "walk-back" drill this evening with today's hits marked in RED and Saturday's hits marked in BLUE. After a ton of dry-firing over the last two days, there's still some deflection to the left which I attribute to a catch in the trigger right near the end of the stroke.

Finished up with 5 rds of head-shots from the 5 & 7 yard line - 10 rds total. With light fading, I tend to push that little bump of a front sight up in the notch a bit resulting in the slightly high impacts on the head-shots.

I still need more trigger time with this one I'm afraid. There's not a lot of wiggle-room with a sketchy 7 lb trigger in pistol that weighs 10 oz.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

The uninitiated are always easily impressed.
NRA Endowment Member
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I don't own one yet.

But I do occasionally shoot other guys stuff and I have no problem getting a ringer (usually) on the dueling tree on the range I shoot at most often. And I can do this with the original or the LCP2

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (007FJ, 257_X_50, 01Foreman400, 160user, 2500HD, 257man, 58 invisible), 2,273 guests, and 1,202 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,643
Posts18,455,374
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.