Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Buddy picked me up at the terminal, went to the grocery store and got some supplies and flew back in Don's 170. I had great weather all the way. About Prospect creek it got smokey and I could barely see the runway in Bettles until I was on about a 3 mile final. Anyway it's nice and cool this morning.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

BP-B2

Y
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Y
Dennis, you guys getting any rain out this weather. I keep seeing big black clouds rolling by, but no rain to speak of here. The Mrs said it's raining on the slope this morning. We haven't had any real precip in about a month with lots of highs in the 80's. One good lightning event could get this tinderbox rolling. Was welding on an aluminum hull the other day and had to soak the ground where I was working because every time I raised my hood I was kneeling in fire. Kept things interesting.

Because through judicious handloading and a bold sense of optimism, you can make anything into an .88 Magnum - once! 😁 - chesterpulley
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Yes, rained pretty good yesterday late afternoon. They have started resurfacing our runway and the moisture was a blessing. Lots of fire crews here lately. The tractors were dropping water on one last night. I see they aren't back this morning so they must have put it out.

NRA Benefactor Member

Y
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Y
We got some right after I posted that yesterday, but by the afternoon you'd have never known it. The Brooks range is beautiful country and probably my favorite part of Alaska. I realize you're not in the Brooks, but you're awfully close. I hope you're getting out enough to really see some of it while you're here.

Because through judicious handloading and a bold sense of optimism, you can make anything into an .88 Magnum - once! 😁 - chesterpulley
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
BEARS....

Yesterday morning we got a frantic call from some geologists that we had dropped off at one of the lakes. They had a bear come through camp and charged them. Luckily for them, they had an 870 with slugs and one of them threw 4 rounds down range (close range). The gun was now empty and the bear between them and the rest of the ammo. The high tailed it the the lodge at the end of the lake. The girl was still in her underwear- I guess it really rattled them.

Took my dog and found the bear. It was dead. His shooting was good. No need for the dog- it only made it 20' from the beach where they shot.
A decent sized boar. I skinned it out for them and we took them all back to Bettles to unwind. Hide and skull goes to the fish cop whenever they send someone to get it.
It was the first time he had shot at anything but paper. My hats off to the lad from Stanford! The Swede wanted to shoot my Tikka so we did a little target shooting on the beach. Did you know a 200 grain Partition will go all the way though a plastic Folgers can? Who would have thought! I think these kids may be all right.

Dang black bears are giving Alaska a bad name this summer!

NRA Benefactor Member

IC B2

Y
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Y
It's good for them. Toughen them up. Perhaps they'll realize Alaska isn't a cross between disneyland and a petting zoo. I hear those folgers cans are TOUGH!!! :-)

Good of you to go help out. Did you bother putting a tape on the hide?

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Nope- looked like a 6 footer though.

NRA Benefactor Member

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T

Ruby got to find her a BIG rabbit! I bet she was fired up.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ykrvak
Dennis, you guys getting any rain out this weather. I keep seeing big black clouds rolling by, but no rain to speak of here. The Mrs said it's raining on the slope this morning. We haven't had any real precip in about a month with lots of highs in the 80's. One good lightning event could get this tinderbox rolling. Was welding on an aluminum hull the other day and had to soak the ground where I was working because every time I raised my hood I was kneeling in fire. Kept things interesting.

U on the north bank, near the hot' spring?

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Y
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Y
I would guess you're thinking of big eddy fish camp. It's about a mile below the trail that goes into horner. While very prominent, people are generally only there for fishing nowadays. John and Lorraine used to be there year round, but that was quite some time ago. I'm about six miles further downriver from there.

Dennis, a 6'er is certainly pretty good size for that country. I've got a similar sized hide hanging over the banister by the stairs. It was shot in early September and the amount of fat on that critter was crazy!

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ran that country a bunch, there was a guy (?) who only had a canoe ,would paddle to galena and BACK home wit supply's...! http://jukebox.uaf.edu/RavenStory/htm/honea.htm ....sorry to OP we'll stop here !!

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by ykrvak
I would guess you're thinking of big eddy fish camp. It's about a mile below the trail that goes into horner. While very prominent, people are generally only there for fishing nowadays. John and Lorraine used to be there year round, but that was quite some time ago. I'm about six miles further downriver from there.

Dennis, a 6'er is certainly pretty good size for that country. I've got a similar sized hide hanging over the banister by the stairs. It was shot in early September and the amount of fat on that critter was crazy!

In 1980, I spent a few weeks as a F&G fish counter using John's fishwheel and living in their summer fish camp cabin a mile or so below Big Eddie, where the Honeas lived when not in Ruby. We used his fish wheel between openings for a count. Actually, his daughter Valery and her boyfriend of the time, Randy Kangas (remember him?) were operating the fish wheel for commercial catch, but it belonged to John.

One night in Ruby, I listened to John and Sidney Huntington trade stories of "the old days". Lordy, my ribs ached!

The best line of the night was when they were talking about going to village dances and getting in fights with the full-blood boys. One of them, probably Sydney, said "It's a good thing the girls liked half-breeds, or I'd be a virgin yet!"

Valerie (one of the most beautiful women I've ever personally met) was in the the room. She just looked at me and shook her head.

I was riding to Galena to retrieve my canoe (left there 2 years before) in Val's boat on a fish run, when we spotted a grizzly swimming the river. "Watch this", she said.

We went by that bear 10 feet away under full load and power, making a big wake, which rolled that bear. It was so mad that when it reached shore it bounced up and down on all four stiff legs, daring us to come ashore. That night, a half dozen fish camps were bear-wrecked.

I'm sure one had nothing to do with the other..... smile

A couple times a week my camp partner and I would go up to Horner Hot Springs for a bath. She was pretty good looking too, even with her clothes on. I was , alas, happily married. And still am, same wife.

Last edited by las; 07/24/17.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Y
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Y
Las, pm headed your way.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Weather has been cooler here lately, probably humid and miserably hot in Phx. Kurt, USMC2602, and his buddies are here. Just got in from Bou hunting. Kurt killed a really nice bull. Probably the nicest one to come in yet this year. They took good care of me with some care packages and leftover grub from their trip. Thx Kurt!

Dall sheep meat is the best thing I have eaten in ages. The Shee fish I had for dinner a couple of nights ago was probably the second best. Lots of good experiences up here.

Bears are still a problem, one friend of mine was home for lunch and heard someone honking the horn on his Ford Ranger. He went out to see what they wanted and it was a bear inside the truck. His shotgun was IN the truck with the bear. He called us on the cordless phone and a radio call went out. By the time I got them the bear had ripped the stuffing out of his seat -while he watched- and walked back into the trees. I think he will keep his windows up now when he parks!
If I knew how to post photos with the new system I would put one up. I guess I'll send a couple to Talus and let him figure it out!

NRA Benefactor Member

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Sounds like you are having a great time Dennis.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
What is a shee fish?

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Overkill375
What is a shee fish?

Google.

It's one word, BTW.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Sheefish is a whitefish that fights like crazy and eats even better. State record is 53#. It seems that 35# is a more common size.

NRA Benefactor Member

U
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
U
Dennis,

Thanks for the warm welcome and help in Bettles, it was great meeting you (and Ruby)! We had a fantastic trip, as you know. 4 nice bulls, but could have used a little less interaction with the grizzlies, ended up with just over 2 caribou worth of meat. I'll try and get the pics sorted out and loaded, and post a "trip report" over in General Big Game. All is good!

Kurt

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Likewise, enjoyed having you guys.

NRA Benefactor Member

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
674 members (1Akshooter, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 74 invisible), 3,190 guests, and 1,463 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,673
Posts18,399,532
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.