Print Thread
Hop To
B
bhoges Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I'm pretty sure, like most of you, when a new product comes to the market you are intrigued yet skeptical. GPO is new to the optics market. German Precision Optics seems to have introduced a quality optic at a great price. They offer a no fault warranty and will either replace or repair your optic in 48 hours if it did fail. The President Micheal A. Jenson was the President of Zeiss USA. Just recently, I had the chance to test out the Passion 3x 4-12X40 scope. (yeah the name isn't the best)

To start off with, the packing was top quality. The scope comes in a high quality box and includes lease covers. My initial inspection showed excellent turret clicks and a very nice overall fit and finish. It's a compact clean scope. I went outside to see how the glass was. Overall I was impressed. It is very clear and bright from edge to edge. As a test rifle I mounted it on my Remington 700 22-250. The rifle is far from stock. It has a trued action, Douglas barrel, Rifle Basix trigger, oversized lug, and bedded in a HS stock. I used Warne steel rings for testing.

A little background on myself. I've been shooting since the age of 12. I started out shooting 3 position small bore. Now at 45 I work for a major city Police Department as a firearms examiner. I have experience with pretty much all types of weapons and optics. My true love has always been rifles. Bolt action long range shooting is my favorite past time. One of my clubs has steel out to 700 yards. Due to being busy with the family and work I was only able to test the scope for now at 200 yards. Next month I'll get to ring some steel at distance.

Once the rifle was sighted in I did a box test to see how well it tracked. In the end, I ended up almost at the exact place I started. Too many scopes out there have tracking issues. I ran the turrets though their full range and had no issues with returning to my original zero. I was able to pick out my shots at 100 yards easily at only 12x. Probably my only complaint is that there is no parallax adjustment. It's not needed on a hunting scope at this power and price point but, I'm a scope snob. I tend to shoot from 25 yards all the way out. The power ring is firm and smooth. The fast focus worked excellent as well. Several other shooters at the club took a peek and liked what they saw.

So for a scope selling for $349 you're getting a great value. My only gripe is I'd like to see a better manual. It's a little small and is written in 8 languages. If that's all I can bitch about that's pretty good. Even though the name is German Precision optics they are made in Japan. I'm guessing otherwise the price would be insane like most German optics out there. They seemed to be doing their homework and have scopes all the way up to 8x zooms. Even the higher models have excellent pricing. Hope this helps a few people out. In case you're wondering I did the paint work on the rifle. The metal is Cerakote and the stock is Duracoat. I was a car painter in my former life. Painting high end German cars helped prepare me for painting guns.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/mukvh53hCFRvGTB63
German Precision Optics Passion 3X 4-12x40 - Plex

Last edited by bhoges; 07/18/17.

NRA LIfe Member, Colt, Sig, Smith & Wesson, Springfield Armorer, NYBIN , NYPD Firearms Examiner, Serial Number Restoration, Cerakote, Gunkote, and Duracoat finishes
BP-B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Wonder how they compare to Tract optics? I tried a Minox when they first came out to much applause, and they turned out to be so so.

B
bhoges Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Tract is in a class by itself. No middleman so your getting the most for your money. Ive been a few of their scopes and they are outstanding.

NRA LIfe Member, Colt, Sig, Smith & Wesson, Springfield Armorer, NYBIN , NYPD Firearms Examiner, Serial Number Restoration, Cerakote, Gunkote, and Duracoat finishes
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Thanks for the report, did I miss what reticle it uses?

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
curious if you like their mechanics, many in the market have decent reticles/glass but fall down when it comes to adjustment. So far NF and SWFA have performed for me much better than Leupold.

IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
The standard reticle appears to be on the thin side.How does it compare to a Ziess #20?

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
B
bhoges Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Sorry, its a standard Plex reticle. It was fine and didn't obscure the target but not too fine that its difficult to pickup. Keep in mind this is a $350 optic and the turrets don't compare to NF. I feel they are the gold standard in the industry. It tracked fine and was able to return to zero which is the most important thing.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
144 members (257 mag, 300jimmy, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 10 invisible), 1,444 guests, and 778 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,897
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.