Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
fwiw,
"Left of the Bang" by Patrick Van Horne. Most interesting thing I have read in a while.

Regards, Matt.

Last edited by Matt in Virginia; 07/24/17. Reason: concision

NRA Life Benefactor Member
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have been reading novels by Joel C. Rosenberg. They are focused on end times and the rise of islam. He also has some non-fiction that is good reading. Rosenberg is closely acquainted with and has worked for Benjamin Netanyahu. He writes very well and his thrillers could be tomorrows headlines.

Have also been catching up on my John Grisham. "Gray Mountain" & "The Whistler" are both good reads.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm reading this one now.....A Short History Of The Confederate States Of America, by Jefferson Davis.
Have read these lately, and found them worthy.....They Gave Me A Seafire, by Mike Crosley.....Coral and Brass, by Holland Smith....Twelve Years In The Saddle, William Sullivan.....Hood's Texas Brigade, by J.B. Polley......Cowboy Detective, by Charlie Sirico.......Commando, by Dennys Reitz........Spitfire Pilot, by David M. Crook.........Tally-Ho Yankee In A Spitfire, by Arthur Gerald Donahue......Spitfire! The Experiences of a Spitfire Pilot, by Brian Lane.

I found the books about the Spitfire and the men who flew her to be very good reading, at least for me, as I've always been intrigued by such. The last three books on my list were written by pilots who flew Spitfires, and were killed in action during WW2.

Last edited by JamesJr; 07/25/17.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by johnw
I have been reading novels by Joel C. Rosenberg. They are focused on end times and the rise of islam. He also has some non-fiction that is good reading. Rosenberg is closely acquainted with and has worked for Benjamin Netanyahu. He writes very well and his thrillers could be tomorrows headlines.

Have also been catching up on my John Grisham. "Gray Mountain" & "The Whistler" are both good reads.
I recently read the three Rosenberg novels about JB Collins in order...#1 The Third Target, #2 First Hostage, #3 Without Warning. Great reads and could be tomorrows headlines for sure.
Another thriller which I couldn't put down was David Hosp's... Dark Harbour which was set in Boston about a serial killer.
The last two I read were Dean Koontz's...Velocity and Dan Brown's... Digital Fortress both good reads.

living the good life every day
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Tears of Re: Beekeeping in Ancient Egypt by Gene Kritsky

The Education of Cyrus by Xenophon (translated by Wayne Ambler)

=====================
Boots were made for walking
Winds were blowing change
Boys fall in the jungle
As I Came of Age

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The last two were Michener's "the Source", which is absolutely outstanding, and Wendell Berry's "Jayber Crow". Totally different, and best consumed piecemeal, but no less outstanding.

"Empire of the summer moon" was a wonderful read, as well.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Ardennes 1944 by Anthony Beevor. The Battle of the Bulge.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
recollections of William+finaughty elephant hunter 1864-1875. My Lost Wilderness by Ralph young(he was brown bear guide in the old days) shakari connection has free ebook of the wiilliam finaughty book. John boyes king of the wa-kikuyu( took over tribe of about 1 million Africans that had previously killed all whites in there territories)

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
l
Originally Posted by Dutch
The last two were Michener's "the Source", which is absolutely outstanding, and Wendell Berry's "Jayber Crow". Totally different, and best consumed piecemeal, but no less outstanding.

"Empire of the summer moon" was a wonderful read, as well.

I have added The Source to my Amazon wishlist. I have read "Caravans" and "The Covenant" both were outstanding reads.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 222ND
recollections of William+finaughty elephant hunter 1864-1875. My Lost Wilderness by Ralph young(he was brown bear guide in the old days) shakari connection has free ebook of the wiilliam finaughty book. John boyes king of the wa-kikuyu( took over tribe of about 1 million Africans that had previously killed all whites in there territories)

I read the John Boyes book. It was very interesting, and good reading.

IC B3

O
OSU_Sig Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
A really good list of additions here. Thanks for pitching in.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I like good fiction, WWII books, historical novels and books about guns and hunting.

I just finished our own John Barsness's new book "The Big Book of Big Game Hunting". It's such a terrific book that I bought 5 copies to give to my first line hunting buddies.

Steve

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Working on a few as usual. Besides the steady stream of detective novels, I'm also reading Coyote America, by Dan Flores, who might be known to some folks here. Everything you ever wanted to know about the rascals.

The Detective Montalbano series by Andrea Camilleri is my current favorite in that genre. Well translated from Italian, they feature the
real Mafia, lots of hot babes, great food, and the obligatory introspection by the protagonist. The series is up to about 20 novels, a bunch of short stories, and a very popular TV show that's really a series of feature films running about 1 1/2 hours each. The shows can be seen on Amazon video by adding an inexpensive channel to your package. There are the original shows, plus another batch featuring a younger version of the character. All of them are very good and have made the star an international celebrity, and the Sicilian town where it's filmed a major tourist attaction. Books and show are highly recommended.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Great Arab Conquests by John Glubb. Out of print, but gives a great description of Islam and why moderate Muslims aren't real Muslims.

[Linked Image from ]
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Undisputed Truth

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K

I recently read Alaska's Wolf Man by James Reardon. It was a fabulous book that would be totally enjoyed by any ourdoorsman.

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/alaskas-wolf-man-jim-rearden/1114079429

kd

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by NDsnowman
For those of you that enjoy Empire of the Summer Moon, the next book you should read is "Comanches: The History of a People". The first 100 pages offer the most accurate description of the American Indian than anything I have ever read. (And that is a lot.)

Thank you!

Just downloaded it to my Kindle.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bantam war book series - We die alone is the title. Absolutely an amazing true story.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
The Killing School by Brandon Webb. How SEALs become snipers.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Another that enjoyed the empire of the summer moon

Now reading a book about crazy horse, can't recall the title it's at one of our cabins

On my nightstand currently is bursting with energy, cause I'm doing anything but that these days

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

362 members (1lesfox, 160user, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 16penny, 12344mag, 29 invisible), 1,727 guests, and 930 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,178
Posts18,465,550
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.