Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I hate that! mad

My current one has issues the dealer can't seem to resolve. Time for a change.

Probably going Ford this go around.

Anyone have a Ford diesel? Good truck?

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
GB1

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I have one but it is a 2002 F350 with the old 7.3 liter diesel. Bought it in October of 2001 and it only has 61,000 miles on it. It has been a good one for going on 16 years. I put a steel flatbed on it right away and really like it. It's just me maybe but I will never buy GM again for a lot of reasons. I'd look at Dodge or Ford. My neighbor has a 1 ton Dodge dually with auto trans. He has had to have it rebuilt but he pulls a 30 foot trailer full of cows and it hard on equipment. On Dodge it seems to be front ends and transmissions. Ford, I don't know on any of the newer stuff. Just stay away from the 6.0 liter that replaced the 7.3. I've heard lots of horror stories on those including my good friend in Texas. He went to Dodge after that and didn't like the way it pulled a loaded hay trailer so went back to Ford. I know his has def on it but don't know what year it is. I think he has two of them.

Forgot to ask, what brand is the current truck?

Last edited by AnsonRogers; 07/25/17.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
My current truck is a one ton Dodge dually.

[Linked Image]

I mostly pull under 15k lbs with it as shown.

Been plagued by recalls and emissions stuff. Been to the dealer 4 times in as many weeks for engine light and no power. Tomorrow it goes back for more of the same. frown

I think Thursday I'm trading it in.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Sorry to hear it's a Dodge. What year is it? I thought they were pretty good.

Last edited by AnsonRogers; 07/25/17.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That sucks Barry.....

Maybe Sam Olson will chime in.....he swears by Ford Diesels.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Rockin', most people I know drive F350's and that includes us. Farm/ranch type operations and the pickups get used and abused.

Our newest one is a 2011 with the 6.7(66k miles so just broke in) and it's been pretty good. But lots of plastic on the underbelly, Mexican engine, less leg room than the older versions, emissions, phaggy traction control, some other minor gripes but pretty sure all the new pickups are gayed up more than older ones. But they will motor on down the road no problem pulling a good load.

They seem to hold up as good if not better than Chevy or Dodge. Hell they all break down.

The emissions horsechit is the worst thing ever done to a perfectly fine engine.

I still love my old 2003 with dreaded 6.0 liter. Just can't bring myself to trade in it.

Charlie, last winter I was swearing at one quite a bit!

Iced up fuel pump that left me stranded 2-3 different days...

Last edited by SamOlson; 07/25/17.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Barry,
I had a 2014 F-250 Ford with the 6.7 Diesel that was the best Diesel pickup I ever owned. Including my 2002 F-350 Ford 7.3 Diesel. Much more power and torq on the Ford 6.7. It was a Hoss!!! Only sold it because we sold our cattle due to the drought and we finally went to modular bales with our cotton farming. Didn't need to pull tandem cotton trailers 30 miles to the Cotton Gin anymore or calfs to the Sale Barn.
I test drove one last year before I bought my new F-150 SuperCrew 4x4 Kng Ranch. Loved it and it had tons of power, but the dealership never would get right on the price.
I missing having a Diesel, and I'd buy another Ford 6.7 in a heart beat if I really needed to pull big loads!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by AnsonRogers
Sorry to hear it's a Dodge. What year is it? I thought they were pretty good.

It's a 2014 with 27k miles on it. Pretty easy miles. Other than occasional towing, I drive it like an old man.

The emissions stuff is driving their computer nuts too.

They've replaced about all the sensors you can. Last time they said the EGR valve was gunked up. They removed and cleaned it. I think they are replacing it totally tomorrow.

I think it's something more than that. Something is causing all this stuff to gunk up and fail. I'm thinking the turbo is bad.

At any rate.I need a work truck I can depend on. Once a week to the dealer and still not fixed is BS... Even though it's warranty, It cost me time, money, and productivity to take it to the shop once a week.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Barry-
I have an '11 f250 w the 6.7. Love the truck. Very few problems @ 62K.

Biggest gripe is the grocery-getter suspension. You want to start at a 350 minimum.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You say you drive like an old man. The emissions type diesels do not like to be babied or short tripped. They need to be worked and run up in temp, or problems will occur. Pretty much across all brands.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I can't speak to the Ford...and I'm not a diesel owner. My brother-in-law had the transmission go out of a 3/4 Dodge diesel two weeks ago when they were pulling a camper here to visit with us. Still under warranty so they had it towed to a local dealer and my dad pulled his camper to our place. He had to rent a car to take his family home then fly back down last weekend after the transmission was replaced. Again, I'm not a user, but it didn't speak well of the Dodge transmission.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
You say you drive like an old man. The emissions type diesels do not like to be babied or short tripped. They need to be worked and run up in temp, or problems will occur. Pretty much across all brands.

Oh, I work my truck.

I just don't drive it 80 mph across the pasture, or 120 into town and back. wink

I haul tractors and shredders to and from project sites, and hay, cattle, and whatever else.

[Linked Image]

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
What a PITA!

I hate having to deal with dealerships.

I guess I'm going Friday to pick up the new one.

Added a transfer tank w/ toolbox and a Ranchhand front brush guard. Weather Tech floor mats.

Hope this one lasts awhile...

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Congratulations Barry! I bet you'll like it a lot.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Waiting to hear how you like the new truck. Welcome to the Ford truck family!

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by AnsonRogers
Waiting to hear how you like the new truck. Welcome to the Ford truck family!

I like it!

Dealer owes me a set of side rails because when I picked it up, someone had swiped them. frown

Nice truck, just drove it about 125 miles or so to the ranch from where I bought it. Looks like a good truck.

BTW, I just picked up my Ram from the dealer here yesterday after it had been there a half dozen times in the past month for "emissions" problems. Yesterday they replaced the EGR valve with a new one. Today, driving it to trade it in, the check engine light came on, and it got boggy again. I know it's a bad turbo.

Glad I got rid of it. smile

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Did you get that brown one?

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

I did~ grin

Caribou! smile

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I hope your new Ford treats you right for years to come. Your experience with Dodge sure cooled my jets on that brand for a future truck. Guess I'll keep my old Ford 7.3. I have to heal up from buying a new tractor anyway.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

I did~ grin

Caribou! smile

You are going to be so cute in the UPS uniform.........guffaw

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

622 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugemag, 58 invisible), 2,773 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,573
Posts18,453,908
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.