Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#12167624 07/25/17
rlott Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Was watching some vids online with guys in Kansas hunting coyotes with greyhounds. Basically they drive around the fields till a coyote flushes then cut 3-5 greyhounds loose. These look like the bigger size greyhound and are no joke. I knew they were crazy fast, but was really surprised at just how fast they ran down the coyote, and their aggression at the end of the chase.

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
the sight hounds are crazy fast and aggressive,,,I'd have enjoyed watching those races,,,

Picture a combination right wing, libertarian, unabomber, nationalist who believes in reverent science and who, to his core, remembers the words he swore to defend the constitution from all enemies, foreign and domestic.....so help me God
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I was able to tag along with a courser in Nebraska about 25 years ago. It was a rush watching those dogs take off after a coyote. They caught 3 of the 8 coyotes chased up. The country was a bit too broken up to be perfect coursing country but it was much more open than here.

After seeing this I worked a bit with the neighbor's Italian Greyhound to take rabbits. The dog didn't catch many but it sure had a lot of fun trying.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Saw a guy doing that north of Dodge City, KS while out there bird hunting. Damndest thing I'd ever witnessed. 'Twould love to tag along for a day or so doing that.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Medieval dog packs were mixed, with sprinters to run game down, scent trackers to keep the trail, hounds that bayed to keep the hunters on track behind, and diggers to pull game from burrows. The game was caught, tracked, or exhumed as needed.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
them KS boys were rough on them pickups!

Picture a combination right wing, libertarian, unabomber, nationalist who believes in reverent science and who, to his core, remembers the words he swore to defend the constitution from all enemies, foreign and domestic.....so help me God
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by J_D_Patrick
them KS boys were rough on them pickups!

You can tell a coyote truck if you follow it down the road, the back wheel is wobbling as it rotates due to the bent axle and bent rim. Mud flaps hanging from the front covering the grille and wrapping underneath to protect some of the underbelly of the engine bay.

Lots of 4wd toyotas used with flatbeds and dog boxes. A rope runs from door of dogbox to the drivers door. Chase the coyotes down in the fields, then pull the rip cord to dump the dogs.

Also a lot of 50 rd magazines in 10/22's to light up a waterway or draw to 'scare' something out.

CB radios in every truck, 10 or 12 trucks circling a section looking for a running coyote.

No tresspassing takes place either as they go baja'ing across the fields chasing down the coyote.

Not my idea of fun, but I've seen it a few times.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
This is my wife's rescue greyhound, he's never seen a live coyote but when I set up the coyote targets for some photos for a shoot I was putting on he kept pacing back and forth in front of them never taking his eye off them as if he was expecting one to take off running.

[Linked Image]

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 1234, 11point, 10ring1, 69 invisible), 3,033 guests, and 1,172 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,337
Posts18,468,690
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.