Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Certainly food for thought, Jeff. Maybe hold them as a bargaining chip for said Armistice? I've never read anything along those lines though.

I have read where Hitler was astonished that Churchill didn't want to consider an armistice. After all, that's the way the French, Germans, and English had done business for Centuries. "I won this time, so you give me Alscase and some cash, and you can try again to get it back next generation. See you in 20 years or so."

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I went and saw it again. I liked it better the second time around because I wasn't looking for flaws.

This is an extraordinary movie.It shows heroism without preaching or apology. The Germans are anonymous entities who were all trying to kill you which is likely the way it was at the time. The shots of the Spits are uniformly wonderful.

I hope it wins an Oscar, it's a work of art.

Finally, Tom Hardy's Spitfire. I estimated thirty five seconds of firing total, I dunno how this compares with the amount of ammo a Spit of that period actually carried.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Having been in several "historical" movie productions, generally speaking, the biggest stumbling block when dealing wit th a certain historical concept or mood, is the directors use of his own "artistic" ability. Sometimes good, but most of the time extremely bad.

We were Soldiers Once was great for a number of reasons not the least of which being that Col. Moore and Sergeant Plumley advised on the set from what I understand.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Add me to the list of those who saw the movie and were disappointed.

Last edited by gunswizard; 07/26/17.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gunswizard

Please advise as to why

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
IC B2

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Having been in several "historical" movie productions, generally speaking, the biggest stumbling block when dealing wit th a certain historical concept or mood, is the directors use of his own "artistic" ability. Sometimes good, but most of the time extremely bad.

We were Soldiers Once was great for a number of reasons not the least of which being that Col. Moore and Sergeant Plumley advised on the set from what I understand.

Yes it is damn good when a director will listen to the people that are hired for these things. I believe Randall Wallace is one of those types of people. Roland Emmerich, ( The Patriot) not so much. But there were serious clashes of professional personalities with the hired help in that flick.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by gunswizard

Gizzard,

Not enough butter on your popcorn or didn't the movie have enough sex scenes. Looking forward to your " thoughts ".

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Somebody just explained to this befuddled old duffer what the three flash scenes in the beginning meant. "The Mole. One week", "The Boat. One Day" and "The Spitfire. One Hour" refer to the time length of each of those sequences. What happened on the mole took a week, and so forth.

So somebody had to explain the bleeping explanations to me. I think Nolan should have explained the bleeping explanations.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Some of the guys on here probably know more about what it was like to be at Dunkirk than the guys who were actually at Dunkirk, as usual.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
No, sir. You are being temerarious. There are guys here who, with the benefit of hindsight and historical perspective, know more about what happened at Dunkirk than the guys who were there, but none of them would ever claim to know more about what it felt like.

War is experienced behind your own eyes and between your own ears, and almost never at more than arm's length. There is no such thing as "the big picture" in combat. There is only you and right damn now.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
There were other mistakes and temporal anomalies as well:

The headstamps on the .303 blanks portraying live ammunition fired by the actors portraying soldiers were from 1983 through 2009.

The socks worn by several of the actors portraying British soldiers were nylon, British soldiers of the day would have worn wool socks. The nurse on the hospital ship is wearing underwear from Walmart, which wasn't around in 1940.

In the line of Grenadiers, the actor portraying the 17th soldier from the water's edge has a tattoo on his arm commemorating the death of his mother in 2004!

When the boat arrives back to the English coast, just over the cliffs out of sight is a McDonald's restaurant. The first McDonald's restaurant wasn't established until 1955.

In the scene where the actors portraying the owner and crew of the Moonstone are looking up at the plane portraying a Bf109E flying by, the International Space Station as well as several GPS and telecomm satellites are in orbit high above the plane.

I could go on.....

Now that was funny!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Doc, if you are still reading, here's another tid-bit that adds to the story: The halt order, which was approved by Hitler and issued by the German High Command on May 22, 1940, was rescinded four days later on May 26 and Operation Dynamo, didn't officially start until 27 May, ending on four June. Another reason so many Allied soldiers were able to make it off the beaches around Dunkirk was because of 40,000 soldiers of the French First Army, who were able to delay the Germans at the Siege of Lille from May 28-31. They battled seven German divisions, including three armored divisions. Winston Churchill called the First Army's effort a "splendid contribution," which hardly summed up its significance in allowing the British Expeditionary Force time to evacuate the beaches. When food and ammunition ran out, a surrender was negotiated and 35,000 men marched into captivity.

Other British and French rearguard units assisted in holding other areas of the perimeter as well, and in the end, it was mostly French soldiers who surrendered after covering the final Dunkirk evacuations.

This was gleaned off the net. I'm too lazy to look in my books at home! smile

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gnoahhh

I saw Dunkirk last Friday night. I went into it not expecting a documentary that would explain the whole Dunkirk evacuation from all angles, rather I wanted to get a "feel" for it- the feeling of panic, hopelessness (and hope), terror, and psychosis experienced by the guys who lived and died there. So what if there were inconsistencies and confusion? It depicted war, and isn't that what happens in war? I feel that the director captured the essence of the operation from the little guy's viewpoint- the little guy who was scared sh*tless and only saw bits and pieces of the whole thing, and afterward probably remembered those bits in a non-sequential manner.

Don't go if you are only interested in a history lesson. You won't get it- the why's, wherefor's, and analyses one would expect in a seminar, book, or documentary don't exist in this movie. What you will get is a sensory bombardment that gives we non-combatants a little idea of "what it was like to be there." I think that was the true intent of the production staff, and as such I feel that they nailed it.

G, you have confirmed my comments. Thank you. I rest my case. grin

We saw it in IMAX-vibrate-the-seat-deeply-felt experience. Enjoyed the fabulous photography and always love Spits in flight and did not expect nor demand much historical info nor accuracy of detail. I was merely hoping for a good story rather than the standard blips intended to goose my feelings. As I said, mildly disappointed because the fabulous material was presented in such predictable cliché that it was boring at times.

Communicating some factual content is not mutually exclusive from feeling, for me and for millions who appreciate Shakespeare, Saving Private Ryan, etc. Apparently however, there are growing millions of us weaned on flash feeling commercials who disagree and claim that any input of facts along with the feeling detracts from the feeling.

Both perceptions are legitimate. They reveal a deep and growing change in Americans, which politicians are exploiting, especially leftist politics where feeling trumps facts and reality.

Last edited by Okanagan; 07/26/17. Reason: clarity
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Somebody just explained to this befuddled old duffer what the three flash scenes in the beginning meant. "The Mole. One week", "The Boat. One Day" and "The Spitfire. One Hour" refer to the time length of each of those sequences. What happened on the mole took a week, and so forth.

So somebody had to explain the bleeping explanations to me. I think Nolan should have explained the bleeping explanations.

Thank you. I spent a minute or so after it showed on the screen trying to figure out what "The Mole. One week" meant and gave it up lightly as another item that was incomprehensible as presented, and just continued to flow with it as the movie washed around me.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just saw it and considered it well worth the price of admission... One of those movies that will stick with ya for a bit also.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by AcesNeights

Yes it is damn good when a director will listen to the people that are hired for these things. I believe Randall Wallace is one of those types of people. Roland Emmerich, ( The Patriot) not so much. But there were serious clashes of professional personalities with the hired help in that flick.

The Patriot is one of my favorites and a definite "desert island movie".

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just returned home from seeing it with the family. Enjoyed it very much, even the wife liked it.

Thought the older gentleman piloting the yacht was a "warrior" along with his young son.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Saw it today and enjoyed it. The foibles are mentioned in this thread but keeping in mind the directors desire to avoid CGI and the scarcity of 109 "Emils" and such I thought it was well done.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

322 members (22kHornet, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 160user, 2500HD, 10Glocks, 29 invisible), 2,599 guests, and 947 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,281
Posts18,467,740
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.