BP-B6

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Lots of .270's and a couple of .25-06's on gunbroker

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
John, do you know if the firing pin, more specifically, the firing pin hole, will work with the small primers in the Lapua 6.5 Creed brass, or is it oversized which will cause cratering and less consistent ignition?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Picked up my 6.5 creed last night and I'm super impressed. Have a feeling my Montanas will be headed down the road and a few more of these will be on the way. Really would love to see them make them in 6 creed and 223.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by bwinters
Thanks for the measurements - I called them and they acted like they never heard of such a thing....................

Happen weigh it?

One thing that held me back was a 2 position safety - that doesn't lock the bolt. I have a rifle like that and the bolt handle gets caught on 'stuff' and will come open. A rather inconvenient feature.

The rifle, bare and empty weighs 5#4 1/4oz... The stock alone weighs 1#12 1/8oz which seems heavy to me... and the metal parts weigh 3#8 1/8oz. The bolt by itself weighs a slick 6 7/8 oz.

The bedding job is full length and perfect. A dial indicator did not wiggle at all during torquing.

The sling studs are not to my liking, I prefer flush mounts... but there is not much to bitch about with the rifle, except...

Looking it over more carefully... the guy that came up with the idea of using three different size screws for the trigger guard and action is an idiot! Problems in the field do not get fixed best by having three different hex bits required. When he dies and goes to Hell (a given!) he will spend eternity trying to fix things just two bits short of what he needs! That would absolutely get changed immediately if I get one.

Just weighed a 308 version to see what they larger bore diameter does to the total weight...

Again this rifle looks to have exactly the same quality bedding job and workmanship as the previous one above... trigger breaks at the same 2.5#, every time.

They still have not fixed the three different size screw heads!?!?! wink

The 308 has threads for a brake with a plastic protector where the other did not.

308 model weights:
The bare stock weighs a half-ounce more, at 28 5/8 ounces

The metal parts weigh 3# 5 1/8oz or 3 ounces less.

Total bare weight is 5# 1 7/8oz or 2 3/8oz less.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the report!

You'll likely have a 21" .308 on your door step here soon as well as my 6.5 18" in the next day or two as well. For increased sample size. wink

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche
Thanks for the report!

You'll likely have a 21" .308 on your door step here soon as well as my 6.5 18" in the next day or two as well. For increased sample size. wink

I'll keep an eye out...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Weights on the 21" model here in a few minutes...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Thanks for the measurements - I called them and they acted like they never heard of such a thing....................

Happen weigh it?

One thing that held me back was a 2 position safety - that doesn't lock the bolt. I have a rifle like that and the bolt handle gets caught on 'stuff' and will come open. A rather inconvenient feature.

The rifle, bare and empty weighs 5#4 1/4oz... The stock alone weighs 1#12 1/8oz which seems heavy to me... and the metal parts weigh 3#8 1/8oz. The bolt by itself weighs a slick 6 7/8 oz.

The bedding job is full length and perfect. A dial indicator did not wiggle at all during torquing.

The sling studs are not to my liking, I prefer flush mounts... but there is not much to bitch about with the rifle, except...

Looking it over more carefully... the guy that came up with the idea of using three different size screws for the trigger guard and action is an idiot! Problems in the field do not get fixed best by having three different hex bits required. When he dies and goes to Hell (a given!) he will spend eternity trying to fix things just two bits short of what he needs! That would absolutely get changed immediately if I get one.

Just weighed a 308 version to see what they larger bore diameter does to the total weight...

Again this rifle looks to have exactly the same quality bedding job and workmanship as the previous one above... trigger breaks at the same 2.5#, every time.

The 308 has threads for a brake with a plastic protector where the other did not.

308 model weights: 18"

Just to keep all weights together...
21" 308 with VERY low serial number...
Metal 3# 6oz

Stock is much lighter at 25 1/2oz

Total weight 4# 15 1/2oz.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Those of you disposing of your crappy old, not worth a lot anymore Kimber Montanas, please PM me.

We'll give them a home out on the plains of Eastern Washington where they can watch the grapes grow and the Columbia River flow.

Sincerely,

The David Walter Home for Unwanted Rifles, LLC

Last edited by David_Walter; 07/24/17.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I played with and shot a Fieldcraft last weekend. I noticed that there were seven Montanas for sale on the first page of the classifieds yesterday. I now know why.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks Art.

Someone needs to order a LA and send it to Art for review 😎

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Darrik is helping me repatriate a 6.5 Swede back to Tennessee. I think that if all goes well with shipping, it will only have to spend one night of its life in Kentucky before it gets shipped back to The Volunteer State.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Everyone have a camera in their smart phone? Let's see the actual groups these Barrett's are shooting, maybe compare them to the Kimber's???

I'm about to buy a new LW Rifle,

#1 is Barrett
#2 Kimber
#3 the new Coopers just showing up
#4 Ruger American??

want to build but parts are scarce and VERY expensive. , over $3,500 just in top components, then another $2,000 to have it built.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by davidsapp
Darrik is helping me repatriate a 6.5 Swede back to Tennessee. I think that if all goes well with shipping, it will only have to spend one night of its life in Kentucky before it gets shipped back to The Volunteer State.

Because I'm a great guy I'll buy that for you in exchange for you returning the M24 that you've held for me the last couple of years...nice even swap. I just checked Darrik's long action Fieldcraft price a few minutes ago.....

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Jay
If I ever sell that NULA, you'll absolutely be the first person I'll call. It's going to be interesting to have the NULA 30/06 and the Barrett Swede together for comparison, I hope to be impressed with the similarities. The only thing I dislike on what I've read so far is the lack of a locking bolt on the Barrett. I figure that the NULA will be here long term, but if you need to see her again, come up in November or December for a hunt and you can use any of your old rifles in my best deer stand. All ya gotta do is leave all the houndstooth and crimson at the state line

David

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
lol...hopefully I can make it up. I'd like to take a look at the long action Fieldcraft, it should be very close to the 30/06 in relation to barrel contour and length....I wish they'd used the same contour with the short actions. Do keep us updated when it comes in.

What paint scheme are you getting on your ML....NULA stripes in Big Orange/White?

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Anyone know if magnum calibers are planned in the future?

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Happen weigh it?

308 model weights: 18"

Just to keep all weights together...
21" 308 with VERY low serial number...
Metal 3# 6oz

Stock is much lighter at 25 1/2oz

Total weight 4# 15 1/2oz.

Again, to keep numbers together... Weighed a Creed with 18" barrel and thread protector.

Checked the trigger pull and while it is very crisp and clean it breaks at 3.5 to 4 pounds. From the website I see the trigger is a Timney (marked on the trigger body, too) and only fits the Fieldcraft. Not that anyone would need to change these triggers for a hunting rifle.

Total weight is 5# 2 3/4oz.

The stock weighs 28 ounces even.

The bolt is a bit lighter at 6 3/4oz.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Wow ,wonder why the stock has to weigh 28 oz. ?

Page 19 of 31 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 30 31

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
384 members (1lesfox, 160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 40 invisible), 2,048 guests, and 898 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,594
Posts18,398,004
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.