-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
We booked a family weekend adventure on the Durango - Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad (One of the top-rated scenic rail journeys in the world) this past weekend. Had one daughter and grandchild fly in and then we and they plus our local daughter's family drove from Salt Lake City to Durango, Colorado for the adventure. There were three trains scheduled for Sunday, at 45-minute intervals. We booked the middle one.

Got 10 miles out of Durango - and stopped. Locomotive broken. Able to move, but not climb the 4% grade to Silverton. It was the first time in 25 years that they had to abort a trip. Lucky us, huh?

We couldn't rebook for the following day because both daughters have work commitments. They did make a full refund, but man what a disappointment.

Durango, Colorado is a beautiful little town with grundles of things to do and see. We'd love to try again someday, and plan to. More info HERE

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

GB1

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
That sucks, Rock.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I hear Durango is inundated with tramps because of marijuana legalization. Did you see lots of homeless and beggars? Been years since I've been back, but grew up there.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
All of colorado is full of questionable people now that recreational marijuana legal. Be sure to lock everything up and watch your back at night.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Did that trip about 7 years ago, really enjoyed it. We'll do it again one of these days.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That must have been the Little Engine That Couldn't.....

"The Ballpark burgers were free, why not eat them?"
- Wabi-
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Bummer Rocky but at least you got to visit with family. I thought I was the only one that experienced a once in a quarter century mechanical that nullified the vacation plans I made.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
We saw several MJ outlets, but no questionable people at all. They did advise us that it was not unusual to see a black bear in the motel parking lot at night, but that was the only semi-scary thing we were aware of.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
That's the second family vacation in a row that has been cut short/ruined for mechanical issues. We arranged this one to make up for the nightmare houseboat trip we experienced a year ago. The family all said they know both events were beyond our control, but I'm sure feeling snakebit about trying to plan family get-togethers.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by watch4bear
I hear Durango is inundated with tramps because of marijuana legalization. Did you see lots of homeless and beggars? Been years since I've been back, but grew up there.

Durango has been full of dope smoking hippies for a looong time.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bummer about the trip, Rocky.

I'd enjoy doing it someday myself.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
That's the second family vacation in a row that has been cut short/ruined for mechanical issues. We arranged this one to make up for the nightmare houseboat trip we experienced a year ago. The family all said they know both events were beyond our control, but I'm sure feeling snakebit about trying to plan family get-togethers.
Well, if you're planning a vacation on a cruise ship next spring, please book Carnival - since we're going on Royal Caribbean.. laugh laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
We are going on a cruise next year, but I'm not the one booking it. It's a class reunion sort of thing, and I don't even know which cruise line yet. When Claudia and I cruise, we use Norwegian.

We have a different train trip coming up soon. But this one is the Rocky Mountaineer in Canada, and I'm positive it will go smoothly.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Rocky, that sounds like a bad deal, sometimes, sometimes, the other thing is better?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
We booked a family weekend adventure on the Durango - Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad (One of the top-rated scenic rail journeys in the world) this past weekend. Had one daughter and grandchild fly in and then we and they plus our local daughter's family drove from Salt Lake City to Durango, Colorado for the adventure. There were three trains scheduled for Sunday, at 45-minute intervals. We booked the middle one.

Got 10 miles out of Durango - and stopped. Locomotive broken. Able to move, but not climb the 4% grade to Silverton. It was the first time in 25 years that they had to abort a trip. Lucky us, huh?

We couldn't rebook for the following day because both daughters have work commitments. They did make a full refund, but man what a disappointment.

Durango, Colorado is a beautiful little town with grundles of things to do and see. We'd love to try again someday, and plan to. More info HERE

Dang!
That's too bad Rocky.
When my son was about 6-7 years old I took him on the train--it was the third time for me (Second time I rode it was to get off at the Needles stop for a backpack hunt). Anyway, on the day with my son they added extra cars and had to hook up a second locomotive to make the grades. Now that was a sight to see two locos going full bore up the grade! I'd never seen them do that before.

It's worth the trip. If the logistics are possible a lot of people leave a vehicle in Silverton and drive back to Durango, makes for a shorter day.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Originally Posted by watch4bear

Durango has been full of dope smoking hippies for a looong time.

Locoweed legalization hasn't changed a thing in Colorado. Follks who smoked still smoke, folks who didn't still don't............

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Too Bad Rocky. If you got a chance the Chama,NM to Ophir, CO during the turn of the Aspens is really nice too.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A few weeks back we're in Boston,

Drive down to Plymouth, where the Mayflower 2 is permanently docked, specifically to see the Mayflower 2.....

Turns out, the Mayflower isn't there, just sailed for Connecticut for a spitshine in preparation for the upcoming 400th anniversary.......

YGTBFKM.......

It ain't just you Rocky.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L

If I were you, I wouldn't book any vacations involving flight...... smile

Last edited by las; 07/25/17.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by las

If I were you, I wouldn't book any vacations involving flight...... smile

^^^^^^^^^^^^
This...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (10gaugemag, 444Matt, 44automag, 35sambar, 16 invisible), 2,223 guests, and 727 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,665
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.