Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Most around here are high kill shelters, the so called rescuers come out to them 2 or 3 times a week and grab their picks before they even open for the day. Then turn around and want to sell adoptions for anywhere from $250 to more than $500... can't say there is anything wrong with that, but cuts out a lot of people that come to the shelters looking for a specific breed, sex, or color. And resulting in the left overs being put down. When my Taffy and Cinnamon died last year, thought about looking for a couple more Yellow Labs for Buddy, but instead fell for a couple that probably nobody else would have wanted and were on their last days of being caged in these shelters that don't usually keep an animal for more than 4 or 5 day's. Some really nice pets in these high kill shelters that don't really have much of a chance and only crime being that that they were abandoned or allowed to roam, or even just having the bad luck of being born on the streets.

Phil

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well, I also got a PM, probably very similar to the one posted here (haven't read it). The PM I received is an ad hominem attack; and to make sure Gophergunner didn't have to defend his words, he immediately removed himself from the conversation.

I'm sorry, but that's pedantic.

Look, these rescue organizations represent everything that is diametrically opposed to what a hunter stands for. If he had posted that he was donating money to HSUS, everybody would have jumped all over him. Yet, in essence, that is what he did: spend money (that he didn't have to) on a dog from a rescue organization. In essence, these organizations are using dogs to generate revenue for their political goals. What's next, donating to Handgun Control to get some swag?

Yet, because there's a dog involved, it's supposed to be OK to financially support the enemy? That sounds terrifiyingly similar to "its for the children", or "if it only saves one life".

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by AHole
Dogs kids and women should never be let in a house.

with a opening remark like that, and considering the screen name, discretion deems that the AHole go right to ignore. lol

Sam......

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by NH K9
Originally Posted by GonHuntin

Yes, I have owned a bunch of dogs over the years, all of them hunting breeds that were actually hunted, not a single lap dog, not a single ankle biter, not a single couch potato..... none of them lived in the house. I have hunted behind beagles on several occasions and have been around others, so, yes, I know they need to run...

Congratulations..........?

My working and hunting dogs have all lived inside (at least partially) and they've all been outstanding in their own right.

Same here George....always seemed to me the more of a buddy the dog is, the harder he works or hunts for you, and at very least the two of you will "click" better...especially true of working dogs...but I think you know that.... wink

Typically those I've met who throw braggart about never allowing their dogs to live inside typically treat their own children like schidt too.

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Finally someone smart enough to post a real reply. If you were only tall enough to reach all of your keyboard we could have some fun.

I may be short, but I can type on my coloring table just as well as you can type on your dumpster lid.

So...pull up your Huggies Little Movers and let's get it on!

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
shaking my head at the asshattery going on here. Man wants a dog. Man finds a dog. Man gives dog a home and welcomes the dog into his heart. Everyone should be happy for Jeff. Instead, the result is a lot of insults, stupidity, pompous crap and petty meanness. Some of you guys need to get your priorities straight. No wonder many of the old timers are gone from here these days. Geez.

Exactamundo Sam...its why I am mostly lurking these days....

Yikes....the Leopard Thong Lurker. You're scaring me man.

A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
Finally someone smart enough to post a real reply. If you were only tall enough to reach all of your keyboard we could have some fun.

I may be short, but I can type on my coloring table just as well as you can type on your dumpster lid.

So...pull up your Huggies Little Movers and let's get it on!

Ed

laugh

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by NH K9

My working and hunting dogs have all lived inside (at least partially) and they've all been outstanding in their own right.

That's odd IMO.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
My first spent most of his time outside in a 13x13, but came in at night. Gipsy, my current, is inside most of the time. The majority of the working dogs I know/train reside inside.

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
That's surprising to me.

Dave

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by calikooknic
Shades of the new azzholes that have come to sit around the fire and a smile to remember Mickey.

What a thread.

Sad day at the fire.

it's not a new member, it's a phuging sock puppet, afraid to post under their own screen name.

Sam......

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Dutch

Look, these rescue organizations represent everything that is diametrically opposed to what a hunter stands for. If he had posted that he was donating money to HSUS, everybody would have jumped all over him. Yet, in essence, that is what he did: spend money (that he didn't have to) on a dog from a rescue organization. In essence, these organizations are using dogs to generate revenue for their political goals. What's next, donating to Handgun Control to get some swag?

Yet, because there's a dog involved, it's supposed to be OK to financially support the enemy? That sounds terrifiyingly similar to "its for the children", or "if it only saves one life".

This is a bullsh** statement in that the national organization the HSUS is separate from and unaffiliated with local chapters of the Humane Society that operate shelters. You do realize that, right?

The HSUS is indeed the enemy. Know your enemy.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Smokepole, I never stated that the rescues are HSUS. They aren;t. The ALSO aren't affiliated in ANY way with the local Humane societies.

They are, despite your protestations, far more aligned with HSUS that with the local humane societies. There are several that focus on hunting breeds, but won't sell a dog to a hunting family. I know of Doberman rescues that will not sell a dog for schutzhund work, EVEN IF THE DOG WAS a trained schutzhund before. They'll put a trained protection dog with a family without the skills to handle it, but they won't allow it to go back to do the work it was born to do.

The local humane societies and shelters cope with the real problem and do the real work: deal with abandoned dogs. The majority of rescues (but not all) just add a layer of expense, control and politics that is more detrimental than it does good.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Dutch
Smokepole, I never stated that the rescues are HSUS. They aren;t. The ALSO aren't affiliated in ANY way with the local Humane societies.

They are, despite your protestations, far more aligned with HSUS that with the local humane societies.

You paint with a pretty broad brush there Dutch. I'm sure there are many tree-hugging PETA members among them, just as there are many good volunteers who just want to donate their time to a worthy cause.

And although their vetting process may be off-putting, I'm sure it's prevented some people who shouldn't own dogs from getting one. Hell, I see them every day. People who have no idea how to control their dog, so they never let it run and do what dogs do. Or let their dogs run loose to get into stuff they shouldn't and attack other dogs. Or people who think they want a dog, and then are too lazy to ever take it out for exercise.

They probably got their dogs from breeders.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
My sister claims she rescued her dog.

I laugh my ass off every time she says it.

Unless you are sprinting into a high traffic area, or a burning building, all you did was get a free mutt.

Dave

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Except it probably isn't free, either !

Trav - GFY

Gopher, good luck. I hope you get it sorted out & refill the "hole".

Leopard print lurker, you are on ignore !

To the butthurt bull$hitters & cowboy couch riders, you ever wonder why your country is considered a laughing stock the world over - It's because of ignorant, arrogant azzholes like you !

Tis such a shame.

Carry on.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by New_2_99s

To the butthurt bull$hitters & cowboy couch riders, you ever wonder why your country is considered a laughing stock the world over - It's because of ignorant, arrogant azzholes like you !

Surely you aren't referring to my beloved United States of America...

Dave

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smokepole

They probably got their dogs from breeders.

As a sometime breeder, I can tell you that you've never been lied to like you'll be lied to when you have a litter of puppies. (Some) people will do and say just about anything to get a dog. I would expect those people to do the same thing to rescue organizations. One breeder told me that a couple "borrowed" a couple of children to appear more eligible to get a dog.

I'm rather cynical that all the vetting and inspections and do-goodery of any organizations does much, if anything, to prevent dogs from going to the wrong people.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Yeah, and the vetting of people on welfare and disability doesn't catch all the lazy people who just don't want to work.

But that doesn't mean its not worth a shot.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by New_2_99s

Surely you aren't referring to my beloved United States of America...
Dave

Nope, just some of the damned fools within !

Re-GFY !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (12344mag, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 43 invisible), 2,709 guests, and 1,163 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,513
Posts18,452,664
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.