Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Thanks JoeBob! It's been years (30?) since I read that! I knew something happened and couldn't remember.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The South has produced a disproportionate number of our country's great men starting with Washington, Jefferson, Madison, and Henry. What a country it could have been had we never joined ourselves with the Northeast Yankees and instead went our own way after the revolution. The old Northwest Territory belonged to Virginia so had that happened the South and the most of the Midwest would be a separate country and a better country it would be, at least for those of us who value liberty. At the time they suspected, but didn't fully realize, what a bunch of rotten, arrogant meddling azzholes the Yankees truly are. Had they know how truly loathsome Yankees are they would never have entered into a government with them.

Last edited by Squirrelnut; 07/25/17.
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Where the hell did he get them lemons?

Founder

WS

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Ah, Sweet Mystery of Life".

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Actually Lee lost the battle by not listening to Longstreet. It was folly to charge up a long hill with no cover against entrenched enemies. Longstreet suggested pulling out of Gettysburg, marching toward Washington DC, positioning on a hill there, and letting the Union attack up hill against the Confederates. There was nothing of any value in Gettysburg except a northern army on the nearby hills. Instead, Lee ordered the famous "Pickett's" charge.

I agree. Longstreet wanted no part of that charge.

IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
At Beaver Dam Creek and Malvern Hill....one must remember that Jackson had just made a long march from the Valley with four divisions and he and his men were worn completely out from marching and attempting to restore a bridge to cross the Chickahominy River....under Union fire. To reach his objective the route was very circuitous and after much hard rain all the streams/rivers were swollen and there was much trouble in moving his artillery due to road conditions. After a second attempt at repairing the bridge, at this point, for the first time in his battle career he basically gave up after his men wouldn't work at bridge restoration under Union fire from a hidden battery. He was so depleted in mind and body he laid down under a tree and went to sleep! Totally stupefied! He was a full five hours behind General Lee's time schedule at this point! He was late arriving at Malvern Hill for having to tread through White Oak Swamp which was flooded. I think if we were able to ask him about his late arrival at Malvern Hill that he would say...."Glad of it!' Lee lost 5000 men there after several attempts to storm the hill which was basically an impregnable position held by the Union! As for his 'Generalship Ability'????.....he had BIG BALLS!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Stonewall Jackson was, of course one of the greats to fight in the Civil War. A self made man, and an interesting man.
Thoughts?

Yes.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
Actually Lee lost the battle by not listening to Longstreet. It was folly to charge up a long hill with no cover against entrenched enemies. Longstreet suggested pulling out of Gettysburg, marching toward Washington DC, positioning on a hill there, and letting the Union attack up hill against the Confederates. There was nothing of any value in Gettysburg except a northern army on the nearby hills. Instead, Lee ordered the famous "Pickett's" charge.

Agreed! Lee had 80,000 men at Gettysburg but only used less than 2/3 of his forces in an attempt to take Cemetery Hill! In all of his battles to that date his strategy had been on flanking movements instead of a direct charge and why he deviated here is a mystery? Longstreet wanted to circumvent the Round Tops and hit the Union supply train which were slightly east of Big Round Top and this would have been a flanking movement but Lee's idea persisted! General Lee's idea of 'rolling up' the Union line was to be done by his advancing lines with the southern end gradually curving to the northeast. Sad thing is....most were shot down in this attempt! The Union had sharpshooters and a battery of artillery atop Big Round Top which took a toll on the Confederate forces. Lee didn't have the best intell either as his main source of information concerning Union strength was to come from General JEB Stuart who was making a ride around the Union Army. He didn't arrive in time and Lee was basically operating blind! Personally I think General Lee under-estimated his enemy....and over-estimated the ability of his forces!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va

Damn. You guys were there, that's awesome!!

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
He was a great general. He was a hard charger and was never afraid to risk his life, or his command. He loved to attack and he was a great lieutenant for General Lee.

Longstreet was better? In 1975 I was going to college in Milledgeville Georgia. This is an old time southern town and was capitol of Georgia during the war.
In the apartment next to mine was an old granny about 65 years old. A Southern Belle.
I got talking to her, and noticed a portrait of General Longstreet above her mantel.
I told her, "So you have a portrait of General Longstreet?"

She was impressed that I recognized the General. She said, "Yes, he was my great grandfather."
I said "He was a great general."

She said, "I think he was a little late going into the battle at Gettysburg, I think he cost General Lee the battle."

I

Contributing factors: Lee's artillery barrage mostly missed because they had the range wrong, a flanking cavalry attack was thwarted by the Union, and Lee's G2 was hurting because his cavalry had roamed far away and was incommunicado.

Also the South could have taken the hills the previous night if Lee had ordered General Ewell to do so. Instead his order suggested Ewell attack that night if he was able. Ewell decided, in the absence of an attack order, to rest and attack the next day, by which time the North had reinforced the hills.

The buck stops with Lee at Gettysburg. PERIOD, yes Longstreet might have been slow on the draw to attack on the right but it was Lee's plan and it was FUBAR from the start. Looked great on paper, and properly and TIMELY executed things might have been different, but the second the attack failed on his right, he should have never ordered Pickett to move.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B3

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Well just like in the song, I think I have 3 grandsons "with a picture of Stonewall Jackson over their bed"

Jorge, your pretty spot on.

The whole Gettysburg affair was decided on day one.

And I'll add, Lee was a sick man there!

Last edited by kaywoodie; 07/26/17.

Founder

WS

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Straighten me out if I'm incorrect, was Lee better at fighting from a defensive position, as opposed to offensive?

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Straighten me out if I'm incorrect, was Lee better at fighting from a defensive position, as opposed to offensive?

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

Contributing factors: Lee's artillery barrage mostly missed because they had the range wrong, a flanking cavalry attack was thwarted by the Union, and Lee's G2 was hurting because his cavalry had roamed far away and was incommunicado.

And who was the Union Cavalry leader that stopped Jeb Stuart's attack from the rear? It very well could be the real "Best" general of the Civil War, G.A. Custer.

Jackson died for his country, Custer killed for his.

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
"And who was the Union Cavalry leader that stopped Jeb Stuart's attack from the rear? It very well could be the real "Best" general of the Civil War, G.A. Custer."

Because Custer never had a run in with that devil Forrest. smile

Founder

WS

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Gettysburg was Lee's first big battle without Jackson. He was still adjusting. The first day would have been completely different with Jackson. The heights would have been taken and from there the battle would have likely played out much the same, except the sides would have been reversed.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Squirrelnut
The South has produced a disproportionate number of our country's great men starting with Washington, Jefferson, Madison, and Henry. What a country it could have been had we never joined ourselves with the Northeast Yankees and instead went our own way after the revolution. The old Northwest Territory belonged to Virginia so had that happened the South and the most of the Midwest would be a separate country and a better country it would be, at least for those of us who value liberty. At the time they suspected, but didn't fully realize, what a bunch of rotten, arrogant meddling azzholes the Yankees truly are. Had they know how truly loathsome Yankees are they would never have entered into a government with them.

I think that Coulda, Shoulda, Woulda speculation like this is a waste of time and energy.

At the time of the American Revolution, the northeast was the center of education, manufacturing, and commerce, so the four southern states needed the nine northern states to be viable.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by HitnRun

And who was the Union Cavalry leader that stopped Jeb Stuart's attack from the rear? It very well could be the real "Best" general of the Civil War, G.A. Custer.

Jackson died for his country, Custer killed for his.

Even if Stuart would not have turned tail and run thanks to Custer, he would have ridden into an entire Union Corps that was in reserve behind the lines. Like I said, great plan on paper, but that battle was lost on day ONE>

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
"And who was the Union Cavalry leader that stopped Jeb Stuart's attack from the rear? It very well could be the real "Best" general of the Civil War, G.A. Custer."

Where was Forrest at Yellow Tavern, Bull Run, Antietam and Appomattox ?

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by HitnRun
Originally Posted by kaywoodie

Where was Forrest at Yellow Tavern, Bull Run, Antietam and Appomattox ?

Off somewhere else kicking yankee ass...

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1234, 74 invisible), 2,476 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,667
Posts18,455,845
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.