Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
WA, It looks like if weight is your main concern in a bolt action rifle and your a short action guy the Montana is indeed a lightweight rifle but if you like a little more horsepower in a cartridge like Myself the Montana really isnt that light, the Tikka is as light (or quite a bit lighter in a standard magnum). If I really wanted a lightweight rifle I would consider the Barrett, I dont care for a blind magazine rifle but My guess is the Barrett Fieldcraft would most likely function properly and be a good shooter right out of the box. ...I also quit spending money on expensive aftermarket stocks as I found them a colossal waste of My money, I found zero benefit in these carbon fiber and fiberglass stocks as none of my rifles performed any better after a stock change.....At the end of the day its your money so spend it anyway you want, its what I do 👍...........Hb

This is true the Kimber Magnums do weigh more than the Tikka magnums. However the 30-06 of a 30-06 is usually 5 pounds 8 to 10 oz. A Tikka superlite 30-06 is roughly 5 pounds 14 or 15 oz. While not a huge difference the Kimber standard (non-magnum) long actions are still lighter and can be lightend up even more. I mean my 338-06 Kimber Montana is 4 pounds 14 oz...or a full pound less than a Tikka superlite 30-06.

GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by BayouRover
I just read on another thread here that the "mauser" safety on a Kimber is noisy. Has anyone experienced that with their Kimbers? The guy who said that seemed really knowledgeable on just about everything mentioned, including reloading.

Mine seem to be fine on my Kimber rifles, but maybe its a recent cost cutting thing. Any thoughts?

Gotta wait for a real expert to chime in, but my mouser safeties seem fine smile

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Mountain10mm
Originally Posted by Fotis
I would take a Tikka anyday

Agree. Can't say enough good things about them.

The number of bolt shrouds I have replaced on Tikkas is mighty high, considering how few there are out there. I may have replaced nearly as many 700 shrouds, but that was either to get rid of the wart or reduce the weight of the steel... I have never seen another make and model with a broken shroud.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by WhelenAway
I just read on another thread here that the "mauser" safety on a Kimber is noisy. Has anyone experienced that with their Kimbers? The guy who said that seemed really knowledgeable on just about everything mentioned, including reloading.

Mine seem to be fine on my Kimber rifles, but maybe its a recent cost cutting thing. Any thoughts?

Gotta wait for a real expert to chime in, but my mouser safeties seem fine smile

You mean like Zerk? laugh

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

grin

He read about them thar guns and saw one in a gun shop. I'd follow his advise and stay away from them.

Camp is where you make it.
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

The number of bolt shrouds I have replaced on Tikkas is mighty high, considering how few there are out there. I may have replaced nearly as many 700 shrouds, but that was either to get rid of the wart or reduce the weight of the steel... I have never seen another make and model with a broken shroud.

Been shooting Tikkas for 20 yrs now and never had to do this on the 4-5 I've had.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Been shooting Tikkas for 20 yrs now and never had to do this on the 4-5 I've had.

And I have seen quite a few that did not break yet, either...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by WhelenAway

You mean like Zerk? laugh

Bingo! wink

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I own a half dozen Kimbers. Fine, light, rifles.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I never gave the cheap "plastikka" bolt shroud a chance to break on My T3's the first thing I do is change it out for a Glades Armory stainless shroud for $60......I even change out the new T3X metal shrouds because the Glades Armory shroud is such a superb quality piece......Hb

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I own both Tikka and Kimber, and like them both. That being said, I'm a retired tool&die guy and don't mind tinkering on my guns. I do agree, that out of the box,odds are tikkas might be a little more accurate. I have found that the Kimbers that I have bought, if they don't shoot up to my expectations, they can be made to. I will say Kimber is putting some mighty nice wood on their guns.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Oh yes, the wood stocked kimber's would win the beauty contest hands down.....Hb

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

720 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10ring1, 61 invisible), 2,607 guests, and 1,177 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,146
Posts18,464,986
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.