-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
OP Offline
S
I've been toying with the idea of changing up some of my hunting rifles over the past few years. I haven't gotten around to it, but I think I'm getting close. As far as my big game rifles go I'm a model 70 guy through and through (I have four as of now). I always preferred blued steel and wood, and so that's what I have. As time has gone on I've been able to accumulate some very fine firearms that will never see field use. That in turn has me looking at my hunting rifles as tools more and more, stainless/cerakote and synthetic... I've also gone from hunting around the house, to being able to take a trip every year or so to chase critters we don't have in my part of the world. When I'm 12+ hours from home I don't want to have to worry about my firearms, and the weather/conditions costing me. So far that hasn't been an issue. Last year I killed a nice whitetail in southern MO (it was 60+ during the day here), loaded up and killed a nice 4x4 mule deer on a 16 degree snowy day in less than a week, but I still worry...

The first one on the list is my .264 WM. It's a classic sporter and shoots just under MOA with the first handload I tried. I've been leaning toward selling it and buying one in the extreme weather configuration. Originally I thought about replacing the stock, but it looks like I can sell what I have and buy the extreme for less money out of pocket than the price of a quality stock.

Am I worrying too much about wood vs synthetic, or is this a valid concern?

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I'd just make sure your stock is sealed in the barrel channel with some good sealer and continue hunting with your rifle. Seems like it is working for you.

Semper Fi
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I put a Brown Precision stock on my only rifle in 1983 and haven't had a wood stocked bolt rifle in the woods since. I still like and appreciate walnut and blue finish. But I have several lever actions made by Marlin and Winchester to scratch that itch. My go-to rifle is an EW in 308 with an Edge stock on it, I also have a SS Classic 30-06 in an Edge. Other than the new trigger and fluted barrel on the newer EW there isn't much difference. Both are equally accurate and weight is similar.

I don't trust wood on a serious hunting rifle. You don't have to be hunting in the rain to have problems, although I have watched a walnut stock with a 1/4" crack in the stock at sunup on a rainy day grow to 4' by lunch. The more common problem is the moisture trapped inside the stock expands and contracts as temperature, humidity, and altitude change. If you live and hunt in an area where these are stable you'll have few problems. But I've zeroed wood stocked rifles in June and had the point of impact change by 2" in October just sitting in my safe in the house. I've seen guys leave GA where the temps were 80 degrees with 80% humidity at 500' altitude arrive in CO for a hunt and have their wood stocked rifles impacting 3-4" off. Going to 30 degrees, 20% humidity and 8000' elevation does that to wood.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
i have an ew in 308 win and a super grade in 270 win. killed elk with both in co and mt in different types of weather without a problem. that said, if i knew i was going to encounter rainy weather, i'd take the ew.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I would'nt worry about a wood & blued steel rifle at all. I have a 50 year old m70 that gets along just fine. Just give it a quick wipe at the end of the day.

Makes me wonder how everybody got by for centuries before stainless came out?

Diplomacy is the art of saying "Nice doggie" until you can find a rock.
Will Rogers
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My Win M70 pre-64 in .270 is STILL my favorite wood-blued rifle. Its still in great shape with a few dings in the stock...but still going strong!

"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." Ten Bears
NRA Benefactor LIfe Member
USCG Veteran
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I'm currently in the mood for a 300 Win mag. If I were to go tomorrow to get one,it would be a M70 Super Grade,or Nosler Heritage. Nuttin wrong with wood handled rifles. The Classic Sporters I've owned have all been good shooters too. They aren't mountain hunting weight,that's for sure. Which gives a fella reason to own a couple of those as well.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The Winchester Extreme Weather is a solid choice, and I have been tempted my self to purchase one.
I'm still cogitating between the Winny and the Sako Black Synthetic.
Price is near the same for both.

My choice for cartridge would be the 3006.
The Model 70 has a little more weight to it.
I believe I read here at the 'fire' that an elk rifle should have the heft of a 'mastodon spear'.

Good shooting.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Between the sporter and the extreme weather, I prefer the EW. It's lighter, stainless, functions perfect. The spotter is a tank.

I prefer the feather weight to both of them though.

Last edited by tzone; 08/12/17.

Camp is where you make it.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

181 members (257 mag, 35, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 15 invisible), 1,466 guests, and 925 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,718
Posts18,457,139
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.