Print Thread
Hop To
E
esmith Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Due to eye problems and the type of hunting usually done, I have used a low power variable scope the past few years deer hunting as my dominant eye has trouble focusing on the front sight like it used to, when using iron sights.

Anyway, Iowa now allows straight walled pistol caliber rifles for deer, so naturally the Beretta 391 rifled barrel is getting benched, and the Marlin 1894 has come out of retirement smile

Question #1: You folks that have placed a scope on your similar rifle, how much of a cheek rest do you find you need to retain a good feeling cheek weld, and align your eye to the optic? I am finding about 1.25'' to 1.5'' higher comb on the stock would be best for me, using a cheap Bearcreek neoprene sleeve to temporarily determine necessary added height. This seems like an awful lot. I am using the lowest scope rings that will allow the scope not to touch the XS Rail I have on the rifle. Leaning to asking Levergunleather.com to make a higher cheek rest, not real confident with the "jaw weld" trying to use a scope on a standard comb height gun.

Question #2: Out of curiosity, would you remove your rear iron peep sight (Mine is the XS Rail and peep sight system, ghost ring in rear that just threads out.) so you could place a normal eye relief scope as far back and low as you need it? Or would you go to the expense of buying a Scout type scope, with more eye relief, because the rear iron sight gets in the way of the old scope? If I could sell the 1.25-4x20mm VX-R Leupold I have for reasonable money, I would probably buy the 1.5-5x33mm VX-R Leupold Scout as the next solution.

Some honest questions I'm hoping you'll weigh in on, and some curiosity as to what the masses would do.

Thanks for reading.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
How much do you want for the VXR?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I'd ditch the XS rail and mount the scope on the reciver with a Weaver base and low Weaver rings.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Get Talley low one piece and use a scope with 36mm or less objective.

“Lighten up Francis”
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
What Blackheart said.

IC B2

E
esmith Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I'd ditch the XS rail and mount the scope on the reciver with a Weaver base and low Weaver rings.

Ideally I would do that, but I'm one of those poor souls trying to change as little as possible, while using the same gun for different purposes. I often will have a red dot forward mounted for some things, and this scope will be on the gun for a month and come back off for the red dot again.

Been wanting to try the Scout scope thing for some time anyway.

I agree, lose the rail and I could save maybe 1/4" of cheek height.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have the XS Ghost Ring Sights and Scout Scope Rail on my Marlin 1894C 357mag. I have a Leupold M8-2X IER scout scope with Warne quick detach rings. Here is a couple of scout scopes to look at.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1...rmediate-eye-relief-duplex-reticle362411
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/4...e-2-7x-32mm-ballistic-plex-reticle-matte
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1592163776/warne-1-maxima-quick-detachable-weaver-style-rings

Last edited by 700xcr; 07/25/17.

Nothing like a Remington 700xcr.
E
esmith Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Originally Posted by 700xcr
I have the XS Ghost Ring Sights and Scout Scope Rail on my Marlin 1894C 357mag. I have a Leupold M8-2X IER scout scope with Warne quick detach rings. Here is a couple of scout scopes to look at.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1...rmediate-eye-relief-duplex-reticle362411
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/4...e-2-7x-32mm-ballistic-plex-reticle-matte
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1592163776/warne-1-maxima-quick-detachable-weaver-style-rings

Thank you, your first link won't open, but the QD rings are something I hadn't necessarily considered. May as well if the scope gets hurt, can go to iron sights during the hunt I guess on that 1% chance.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A Leupold 1-4, 1.5-5 or 2.5x in Weaver low rings and Warne one piece base is the lowest setup you can get. You wont need a raised cheek rest for this setup. It is barely higher than the iron sights and does not ruin the handling qualities of the 1894 carbine.

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
esmith,

When you refer to iron sights, does that include ghost ring styles?

I've found people that have eye troubles struggle with standard open sights, but can still focus on a front sight like the SX when used with a ghost ring.

Clark

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B3

E
esmith Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Originally Posted by deflave
esmith,

When you refer to iron sights, does that include ghost ring styles?

I've found people that have eye troubles struggle with standard open sights, but can still focus on a front sight like the SX when used with a ghost ring.

Clark

Yes, ghost ring rear. The factory buckhorn rear sight was much more difficult to use for my eyes. The ghost ring is better but not perfect. Makes a nice backup sight though I hope not to use them much.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I used a generic Weaver rail and low Weaver rings to mount a Nikon African 1-4X scope on my 1894S. That was back in 2011, and it has not needed any adjustment or change since. I have killed a truck load of hogs, and a number of deer with this rifle and Scope. I am taking it to Wyoming in the fall to hunt there.
[Linked Image]

Sam......

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (007FJ, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 1234, 56 invisible), 2,080 guests, and 1,070 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,108
Posts18,464,281
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.