Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by CowboyTim
Think I'm probably going to sell off everything but my 10/22 and my VZ-24 custom in 8x57. Just don't ever use anything else anyway and I figure the other 8 rifles could go toward building a workshop/garage in the back yard. I'll be hanging on to the ones I'm building for my boys, but really, if I don't ever use them anyway...

Anyone else here ever have the same thought?

I play the same game with myself all the time. For me, however, it is usually a 3 rifle battery that will serve me for the rest of my life. It's my version of counting sheep when I go to sleep at night.

Truth is, I can get along with one rifle if I leave out plinking and shooting the occasional squirrel. Perhaps a 6.5x55 swede or the 257 Roberts. Done.

GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Got down to 2 30-06's for some time and they filled my needs well. Have since added a bunch becausecI like trying new ones, working up loads, etc. It seems my vision of what the ideal big game is changes, but comes back full circle. Like most things in life, moderation is the answer. If you have too many that it becomes a burden or no funds to hunt, etc. unload a few. I always keep a good 30-06 around and tinker with others, as long as the tinkering doesnt cut into hunting/adventure/family vacation funds.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

Ummm..... HELL NO! wink

I know a guy, aka "dummy", that uses a 460 Wby for "Wabbits" whistle
grin

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
When my kids were little and funds were tight I got by with a .22, a 12 gauge and a.30-30. I could do it again but really don't want to. .

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I could EASILY do all my hunting with a 12ga, a .22lr, and a 30-06.

With a new kid on the way this fall...I just might.

Camp is where you make it.
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

I am back up to three, 1x Brno ZKW465 in 22 Hornet, 2x Brno model 21 in 7x64, and I am comfortable with that.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by jwall

Ummm..... HELL NO! wink

grin

Jerry

A .460 for rabbits,that person is an absolute dingus. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by szihn
Guns are my business but also a hobby and a passion for me.
I could easily do it all with one 22 LR and one 30-06, but that is more "mission specific" than a hobby allows.

I enjoy the guns all years, all the time and I shoot 4-5 times a week. I hunt only 3 to 15 days a year. (for my own game,) For a mission specific rifle (one gun for all hunting) a 30-06 or even my 375H&H would do everything need, but not all I want.
If I wanted the closest thing to a one gun fits all may be a Ruger SR762 or a good FN-FAL. Hunting, fun shooting, fighting, varmints, targets and so on. Not the best for most hunting or competition, but "ok" for nearly everything.

But I'd get bored pretty fast with only one.

^?^?^?^?

That means "Something like this", for me. I'm pretty sure I could pare the collection down. And if I did I'd likely keep only my .260 or my 25-06.

But... To go beyond that and consider parting with my H&R/Sako .222 or My old .243 or my old .17 Rem or the .300 Win or the .308 or HEAVEN FORBID, MY .300 Savage? Maybe to save a grandchild's life...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have been mulling this over for a while. I agree with Ingwe, this is crazy talk.

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I almost cannot think this way. I like my 7mm-08 and my 35 Whelen a lot, but if I had to have one centerfire rifle, it would probably have to be a 30-06

The expert at anything was once a beginner.

JC
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If I had to keep just one of what I have now it would be the .300 Savage. And I'd probably still be in pretty good shape for North America.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by jwall

grin

A .460 for rabbits,that person is an absolute dingus. wink

Aside from that, he 'seems' like a pretty good guy-- from the net. GRIN

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
He may be a "pretty good guy" but killing rabbits with a .460,well..... grin

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Yeah, but could you eat right up to the hole?

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Had just one big game rifle for 20 years, a 7mm RM. Now I have quite a few and have killed a lot more elk than when I had only the 7mm RM. No causation implied, just a correlation.

The big difference, simple and dumb as it might seem, is I learned to hunt smarter - i.e. "where the elk are". Big causation factor there.

The fact is I enjoy hunting with different rifles. The time to thin the herd out will be when I quit hunting elk and settle down to antelope, deer and prairie rats. Or when the grandkids get old enough for a rifle of their own, whichever comes first.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by tzone

Yeah, but could you eat right up to the hole?

On one side you can. wink

This is the entrance hole.
[Linked Image]

The other side,well....

Last edited by elkhunternm; 07/27/17.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I bought every gun I have for a specific purpose. I am very pragmatic about guns. It has to do what I want it to do. If not it went down the road. If it did I still have it. And if i still have it I am very attached to it. Emotional attachments to inanimate objects is probably the subject for psychiatrist and psychologist to ponder as evidence of mental problems,and if so I am certainly guilty. I hunted many many years with only one gun, a Marlin 336 in 35 Remington. I have gradually added to the herd as need have arisen and financial condition improved. At 70 and retired with back injuries (from my tail bone through my neck), guns are my only hobby. I have never accumulated any other kind of stuff. My injuries limit my ability and time to hunt and shoot, but I still do what I can and am an avid reloader. I cannot figure out why I would want to pare down my accumulation. The guns I seldom use only need cleaning occasionally, and that isn't a bad job. They hurt nothing sitting in the safe. There are only a couple of guns I am considering selling. They were gifts that were well meant, but either not very good or for which I had little use. Getting rid of these would make more room in my safe for something more appealing to me. Like the side-by-side double barrel shotgun I have always wanted. If guys want to pare down and go back to basics I will encourage them to do what they want to do. What I want to do is keep mine. My son is a gun nut, too. He will get mine when I go and I am glad to see him have them. Just not right away.

There was no greater freedom than when I would leave Holiday Park Fish Camp heading my airboat west toward the Big Cypress. Fuel for 4 days, a good machete, an ice chest. No phone, no radio. Just God and me and the Everglades.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Excellent points. Compared to some other hobbies like boating, motorcycles, classic cars, and women, shooting is relatively cheap as long as you stay away from the real high-end stuff like express rifles and Parkers.

I get the urge to dump stuff at times because I feel like I'm not using it enough to justify the associated loading stuff, optics etc, but really I think that once I get something set up and ready to go, I get bored and want another project. When I was playing with computers, I enjoyed putting them together, installing software and drivers, etc more than actually using them. Maybe I'm carrying the tinker gene.

What fresh Hell is this?
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Excellent points. Compared to some other hobbies like boating, motorcycles, classic cars, and women, shooting is relatively cheap as long as you stay away from the real high-end stuff like express rifles and Parkers.

I get the urge to dump stuff at times because I feel like I'm not using it enough to justify the associated loading stuff, optics etc, but really I think that once I get something set up and ready to go, I get bored and want another project. When I was playing with computers, I enjoyed putting them together, installing software and drivers, etc more than actually using them. Maybe I'm carrying the tinker gene.

Think I have the same problem, like working on them too much(wouldn't be a problem if I was a smith, expensive hobby for a carpenter)...Really isn't a money issue, no my wife hasn't said ANYTHING about how I should sell the ones I don't use. At this point I'm keeping the 8x57, the pair of 270's I'm building(for my boys), a couple 10/22 carbines and POSSIBLY my Mark VII in .300 Win Mag(figure I'd take too much of a bath on that one).

Selling my CZ550 to a buddy of mine, the rest I'm taking to a local ffl to get sold. I guess getting down to 2 personal rifles would be close enough.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Gladesman
I bought every gun I have for a specific purpose. ...

So did I. Sometimes that purpose was just to avoid walking away from a great deal. Now I have a couple safes with guns in them and no time to shoot them all.

Oh, well, retirement is only a day or a year or two away. Not sure what my wife thinks I'm going to do when the day comes, but I plan to do more hunting and shooting.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

342 members (1lesfox, 2500HD, 160user, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1eyedmule, 36 invisible), 1,635 guests, and 939 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,062
Posts18,463,354
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.