Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Bighorn Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Planning yet another trip to Africa, this time to Mozambique for Cape Buffalo. Outfitter says this is a prime place to hunt for crocs, as well, and I have wanted to do that for a long time.
But- I do not want to have one mounted, there is no more room in my home for one more full body mount, period.
What suggestions do you all have for things to do with Crocs? Is the hide worth money here in the US, and can it be sold? I wouldn't mind having a skull mount, but I really do not need stuff made out of croc hide.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Bh check out this link I just typed crocodile taxidermy images into my browser.

https://www.google.com/search?q=cro...KHafzAwYQ7AkIPg&biw=1920&bih=974

Good luck over there and shoot straight

Bob

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Custom made boots and belt.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
If you don't mind ,what outfitter and where in Moz?

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I shot a 14' croc in 2008 and a 15' one in 2009 in 2 different areas of Moz. The first one I had made into a rug with head on, mouth open. Takes up a lot of floor space. The second I kept only the skull and belly/leg/neck skin. The dried and bleached skull is really impressive. The hide became 2 rifle cases, 3 belts, a pair of boots and deck shoes, 2 wallets, and an attaché case. It was tanned in RSA in 2 colors and converted to leather goods here.

IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by jdollar
I shot a 14' croc in 2008 and a 15' one in 2009 in 2 different areas of Moz. The first one I had made into a rug with head on, mouth open. Takes up a lot of floor space. The second I kept only the skull and belly/leg/neck skin. The dried and bleached skull is really impressive. The hide became 2 rifle cases, 3 belts, a pair of boots and deck shoes, 2 wallets, and an attaché case. It was tanned in RSA in 2 colors and converted to leather goods here.

2nd croc idea seems terrific!

All those croc-hide goodies... And of course a few really cool photos as well.

Best of luck on the hunt!

Guy

Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
I believe, but I may be wrong, but selling that croc hide maybe illegal? I was once told that selling trophies for profit is illegal.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
First thing would be to kill it.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
First thing would be to kill it.

That's a start. As far as mounting is concerned, I wouldn't, but then I'm happily married.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Bighorn
I do not want to have one mounted, there is no more room in my home for one more full body mount, period.
What suggestions do you all have for things to do with Crocs?

Don't kill it.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Out west here if you want to get rid of something you set it out by the road with a sign "$25". It'll be gone the next morning. grin

LOL
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Zengela
I believe, but I may be wrong, but selling that croc hide maybe illegal? I was once told that selling trophies for profit is illegal.

For profit could be an obvious loophole.
I dont know chitt, but, airfare, hunting fees,
Taxidermy costs, etc.
I dont think one hide would equal profit, just offseting
Expenses.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by Reloder28
[quote=Bighorn]I do not want to have one mounted, there is no more room in my home for one more full body mount, period.
What suggestions do you all have for things to do with Crocs?

Don't kill it.
[/quote
Both crocs I killed were well know man eaters(1 on Lake Cahora Bassa, 1 in the Zambezi Delta). The local villagers told us exactly where to find them as they wanted them dead and gone. They had quite a celebration in both villages when they saw the carcasses. When the larger one was skinned, we found human remains in his stomach....His last victim had been taken 3-4 days before.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

Don't kill it.
[/quote
Both crocs I killed were well know man eaters(1 on Lake Cahora Bassa, 1 in the Zambezi Delta). The local villagers told us exactly where to find them as they wanted them dead and gone. They had quite a celebration in both villages when they saw the carcasses. When the larger one was skinned, we found human remains in his stomach....His last victim had been taken 3-4 days before.

[/quote]

Man...THAT is just CREEPY!!!

I can't imagine much being worse than being eatin by a giant lizard!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What do you do with a croc? Take him to the zoo. And perhaps the picture house, and maybe the malt shop.....

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Got a 12 footer from Zambia in my garage. Just cut the head off with a Sawzall and the skin is going to Iowa for tanning. No idea what it will become.

http://www.specialtyleather.com/

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A crocodile leather gun case would be nice.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Wish Photobucket wasn't tits up. I would post pics of the 2 I had made. 1 is all croc with elephant hide handles, the other is 50:50 croc and elephant. They turned out great and at $275 a piece with me furnishing the leather, a pretty good deal.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Skull and a pair of boots. The tail meat can be excellent eating too. Crocodile Dundee hat band with the claws and back ridge leather.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I'd get the skull done, that would be cool. Then some stuff made... belts, wallets, boots if you wear them, I like the gun case idea.
-Jake

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (1minute, 160user, 007FJ, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 19rabbit52, 70 invisible), 2,172 guests, and 1,162 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,211
Posts18,466,210
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.