Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Case in point:

Originally Posted by gunswizard
I had a similar situation several years ago, I contacted the State Attorney General who brought a class action lawsuit against the gunsmith. I received a refund of the money I had spent, long after that a package with the gun arrived, the box had never been opened and no work had been done. The guy had strung me along with the stories of the work nearly being done and how well the project was turning out. All lies as he had never opened the package I had sent him.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
It's about like this:

"Do you puff peters?"

"Hell no!"

"NAZI!!!"

GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
This is a tough situation. Make darn sure you have all the facts on paper on when the job was promised and you have details of what you sent and when. Be extra careful before making accusations of theft. If you know an attorney, I would get some counsel to make sure you're on solid ground when you move.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deflave
I'm going to give you a good bit of advice that nobody wants to hear.

DON'T BOTHER GUNSMITHS, CUSTOM KNIFE MAKERS, OR TAXIDERMISTS.

You'll find yourself on a schit list that does you no good.

Dave

+1 on Taxidermist

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The only time I've ever had a similar situation I made a road trip. When I arrived, my rifle was done. I picked it up. Never knew why the grandparents nsmith would not ship. He never asked why I decided to pick it up. It was a 6-hour drive each way. I suspect the gunsmith had a drinking problem.

I think you should have a member stop by to see what is happening.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by slowmover12

I think you should have a member stop by to see what is happening.

With all the members here, someone could know him or live right up the street....out the bastage's name.

IC B2

J
J23 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Where's this fella at?

"Ignorance is acceptable, because you can remedy it with knowledge and research. Stupidity is when you guard your ignorance."
Ted Nugent

"Idolizing a politician is like believing the stripper really likes you."
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I would PM Bricktop and tell him that Larry Root has a revealing picture of Bricktop and wants to sell it. Then tell him that Larry is at the address that your gunsmith resides. You may never see your guns, but you would hear about it in the 10:00 news.

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
My gunsmith is a super good fellow and a great friend as well. That said, he has on two occasions kept my guns for a very long time. I never figured it out and actually gave up on the last gun. He recently returned it to me, fixed perfectly, after having it for several years.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm going to give you a good bit of advice that nobody wants to hear.

Dave

Sage advice right there!

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I did have a smith reline a Model 94 Marlin in 38-40 in Washington State a few years ago. It took about a year. When I next asked him to do a new w job,he wasn't taking any more work as he was about 3 years behind. It was a good job on the 94.His name was John Taylor.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

RUBBISH.

A long list of honest paying customers have(out of frustration) bothered total a**hole frauds like Stuart Saterlee, WFHein, and Empire Rifles
and the only persons to make a [bleep] list was those businesses, not the rightfully disgruntled customers.

Subsequently other trustworthy smiths gladly took up the good business offered to them from those customers.

Anyone who allows themselves to be intimidated into silence by the dodgy element of an industry
of mostly glorified garage hobbyists is lame and pathetic.

But there will always be those types that dont dare question their gunsmith, PH, LEOs, gunwriters or local pastor.
instead they seem to prefer to live a life of fear.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I talk or text my smith at least twice a week he's a great guy. I have five rifle builds going with him right now. He is always more than happy to visit. 😉.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd make a visit.

Agree on a time frame up front. Don't let him be a weasel. It ain't "poor businessmen" that pull this schit. It's liars and thieves.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Horsefly - Don't take advice from people on the internet - me included.
the fact that the guy is a gunsmith has no relevance - what if was your car, or your dog, or a watch??

Federal LAW dictates disposition of firearms delivered to a gunsmith - he operates under the same license as a dealer so him selling off your guns etc is rubbish.

POLL: Has ANYONE on this site delivered a gun to a gunsmith and had him sell it without your consent??? Raise your hand and speak up please....

I had a similar incident: Guy in Arizona - I'm in Georgia - old S&W revolvers, he "made" the parts, etc, Sent him TWO Customer's guns. Never had good or great communication but he was highly recommended. Finally I called the local police and asked them to do a "wellness check" on the individual and asked them to pass the message to please have him call me. It worked, and I do not mean to imply the police are my personal messenger boys, BUT something terrible could have happened to him.

You trusted him enough to send your gun(s) to him, trust him that he's not willing to risk federal time and charges on firearms.

And these zombies line up and eat from the media’s trough

Cowards CANNOT be free. Nor should they be.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I once gave a .22 rifle and a Lyman target receiver sight to a local gunsmith to install. After a time, when I called to find the status, he told me that I never gave him the sight. I argued with him over the phone and he was insistent. When I drove over to his shop, there was the sight in his show case with a price sticker on it. When I pointed at the sight and said, there's my sight, he got very sheepish and tried to laugh it off as a senior moment. A week later I had the rifle with sight installed and he did a fine job, not that it was difficult. It was the last work I gave him.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I guess I've been lucky. . . . here in Central Penna., we have a local smith who is busy but fairly prompt, does good work and is as honest as the day is long. Also, another smith who builds my benchrest rifles takes a long time to get things done but you know that going in.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Good Lord!

Reading all these posts sure makes me wonder about all those guys who claim they're 'gunsmiths'... WTH is wrong with someone who just can't be up front and honest re: completion time and or simple communication???

The day my name's mentioned above with similar issues is the day I hang it up for good....

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Starman

RUBBISH.

A long list of honest paying customers have(out of frustration) bothered total a**hole frauds like Stuart Saterlee, WFHein, and Empire Rifles
and the only persons to make a [bleep] list was those businesses, not the rightfully disgruntled customers.

Subsequently other trustworthy smiths gladly took up the good business offered to them from those customers.

Anyone who allows themselves to be intimidated into silence by the dodgy element of an industry
of mostly glorified garage hobbyists is lame and pathetic.

But there will always be those types that dont dare question their gunsmith, PH, LEOs, gunwriters or local pastor.
instead they seem to prefer to live a life of fear.

I already figured you for an annoying kghunt.

You probably call every five minutes. "Is it ready? Is it ready?"

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

You probably call every five minutes. "Is it ready? Is it ready?"

Dave

While I agree pestering a busy man delays the work getting finished, if he tells you it's finished but "doesn't have the money to ship"...that would scare the chiit out of me. Then he quits responding after you offer to pay the shipping charges on your dime ?, that's a red flag if you're hoping to see the guns again.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Name of the Smith or it didn't happen.. You guys want to know how to deal with this? All it takes is time, patience and money and in the end, not only did I get all of my deposit back, but enough to cover attorney fees plus a little more...

HOW TO NAIL A CROOK

Last edited by jorgeI; 07/26/17.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

677 members (10Glocks, 160user, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 66 invisible), 2,460 guests, and 1,162 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,140
Posts18,464,847
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.